The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I hate eBay.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Captain

I think a big part of our E-bay woes come from the fact that a lot of the stuff we go for in addition to being rare is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. In that situation getting a bargain can be very tough. Sometimes the "bargain" is just the fact that what we want is even in existance.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Ensign

I got a kick out of the Optimus Prime Movie Leader Transformer that Wal-mart carried last December.. I LMAO at ebay and the stupid people trying to buy it there.. It was going between $75 and $200, the thing was only worth $39.99 at the Hasbro and Wal-Mart sites.. Wal-mart was out of stock, but Hasbro had plenty. I checked Ebay because I wanted to get it for less than $45 (counting shipping) and I just couldn't believe how stupid people were being.. If they had just went to the Hasbro site, they could have saved a minimum of $30.

Never buy anything for more than what the product is actually worth. Compare prices across the web.

Anything electronic that Wal-Mart sells, you can usually get it for 1/2 the price online, with exception of the latest game or toy.

But like the Optimus Prime during Christmas, people were so stupid to buy off ebay when they could have bought it directly from the manufacturer which on their web site and on the phone that they verified was in stock. Hasbro did not run out of the Optimus Prime until the end of Feb.

Just goes to show how stupid some people really are.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
Selling a Dell is very hard..

You can have a computer built custom with name brand parts and lifetime warranties for about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of what Dell wants.

I build computers.. that is how I know..

Comparing my system specifications to a Dell XPS model for gaming, Dell wants $4213.89 plus tax and shipping for a system comparable to mine today.

I built my system back in Feb for $1675.. about 1/3 the cost and that is after shipping.

Factor in the age of the machine.. it probably is not worth much at all right now..

A Dell you buy for $800 today is really worth $800/3 = $266.67 (cost to build yourself).. You lose about 40% of its value for each year of age of the machine.

Add in to the fact that XP will be off the market in June will actuall icrease the value of the machine about 30%, at least for the next 6 to 8 months, after that.. there is not much left in hopes of selling it.
Yeah.. I used to sell PC's at Circuit City before they dropped commission sells. I still build my own PCs, but I just got a great deal on this Dell that I could not pass up. I have had it nearly 1.5 years, and has a total of 3 years premium in home service.

But, knowing a PC is obsolete by the time you get home, I am aware the one I bought is not worth much. Although, technology, for PCs anyways, is not advancing as fast as they were a few years ago.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Rear Admiral

It's all about Amazon!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
It's all about Amazon!
That depends on what you are buying.

Electronics and games, I always buy from TigerDirect.com (TigerDirect bought Comp USA) or NewEgg.com

You can get a complete system for about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Best Buy with much higher quality parts.. Or you can just build yourself a system for even less with Gaming components.

Building one yourself, you get the benifit of having lifetime warranty on parts like system ram, video card, power supply, 3 year warranty on Motherboards, CPUs, Hard Drives, and the basic 1 years on memory card readers, DVD burners, HD-DVD burners, Blue-Ray burners (though I recommend NVidia.com for the lowest cost, fasters burning Blue-Rays), and so forth.

When you get a Dell, you get what, a 1 year warranty on all the parts? And you have to buy an extended warranty?

Say I buy a Dell and just get the 1 year warranty and I got it with a GeForce 8800 GTX.. 18 months from now the Vid Card burns out.. I'm screwed into buying another card.. currently the 8800 GTX is about $450 a card depending on the manufacturer..

If you bought the GeForce 8800 GTX outside of Dell, you would have a lifetime warranty on it and if it burns out in 18 months, the company will give you a new card for free.

So you can Buy a Dell with a $500 mark-up on the price of the system over base cost for the Vid Card with a 1 year warranty, or you can buy your own Vid Card for $450 and have a lifetime warranty on it.

Hmmm.. what a choice to make.

I used the GeForce 8800 GTX as an example as that is what I am running in SLI on my system.. 2 BFG Geforce 8800 GTX OC2 @128 bit transfer rate with a 1 Ghz FSB and 786 Mb gDDR3 vid memory with the GPU's factory overclocked to 626 Mhz each (in SLI that means 4 GPUs) all running x16 on the mother board and each card has Quantum Processors (basically built in Aegia PhysX Processors).. You can't beat the vid capabilities of this rig.

NVidia has the 9800 series out now, but those still can't match the 8800 GTX cards, basically the 9800 is 2 - 8600 GTS cards in SLI built into a single vid card. Even running in SLI [basically 4 - 8600 GTS cards) still won't match 2 8800 GTX cards in SLI... and the 9800 cost $100 more than the 8800 GTX series.

You can check Amazon on the price of a BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 2 vid card.. back in Feb when I got mine, they were $479.99 from Tiger Direct, $485.99 from Newegg, and $504.99 from Amazon, prices not counting shipping..

Add in shipping.. Tiger Direct was $502.68, Newegg was $492.46, and Amazon was $514.64

So going by price after shipping cost, it isn't hard to imagine that I bought mine from NewEgg. Newegg also offered a $35 mail in rebate on the card.

Local computer stores (Best Buy, Circut City) and Computer part warehouses (Electrotex, Computex) near San Antonio where I live all wanted $525 + tax for the same card.

The price was way outrageous on Ebay.. starting at $545 for the card...

You can get things cheaper shopping around. Avoid Ebay like the plague.

Last edited by Pestalence_XC : 05-10-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Captain

Amazing- I was following a MR TOS Phaser II (Nimoy Signature) for the past 5 days. NO BIDS... until the last 5 seconds. The winner won it with 2 seconds remaining. That's it, only 2 bids and in the last 5 seconds. It went for only $800 or so- a lot less than I paid for mine.