The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Cinema and the Swoosh
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Captain

Default Cinema and the Swoosh

Am I the only one who is annoyed by Hollywoods latest obsession: Swoosh effects in trailers, teasers and promos?

Take a look at this and tell me: Does it make a teaser more appealing to substitute music and dialogue with a sound track full of swoosh, wosh, bam, oomph, woosh, zziph, bang... and baboom?

http://trekmovie.com/2008/05/10/sci-...allville-more/

The Heroes teaser on that page is the best example of what I mean.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:58 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

It's just one style out of many... look at the 1950's with their countless cards popping up, telling you will SEE! TERROR FROM BENEATH THE OCEAN FLOOR! or that PASSION! THAT COULD NOT BE CONTAINED! etc., etc... Later, in the 60's and 70's, there were the huge bible epics, and documentary style cinema vertie movies that didn't feature ANY music in the soundtrack. (a very boring time in film) Their trailers reflected the films, using no music composed for the filck they were promoting. It really wasn't until "The Graduate" and "Jaws" that studios began to realize there was a market for soundtracks.

It's just advertising, man. A fad in advertising at that. Don't read anything more into it.

I'm far more botherd by movie trailers that spoil EVERYTHING the movie might have had going for it in terms of surprises, and plot. Honestly, how many times have you sat in a theater, or been watching TV, and said to yourself, "Well, I think I've just seen the best parts of THAT flick..."

THAT annoys me.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
It's just one style out of many... look at the 1950's with their countless cards popping up, telling you will SEE! TERROR FROM BENEATH THE OCEAN FLOOR! or that PASSION! THAT COULD NOT BE CONTAINED! etc., etc... Later, in the 60's and 70's, there were the huge bible epics, and documentary style cinema vertie movies that didn't feature ANY music in the soundtrack. (a very boring time in film) Their trailers reflected the films, using no music composed for the filck they were promoting. It really wasn't until "The Graduate" and "Jaws" that studios began to realize there was a market for soundtracks.

It's just advertising, man. A fad in advertising at that. Don't read anything more into it.

I'm far more botherd by movie trailers that spoil EVERYTHING the movie might have had going for it in terms of surprises, and plot. Honestly, how many times have you sat in a theater, or been watching TV, and said to yourself, "Well, I think I've just seen the best parts of THAT flick..."

THAT annoys me.
Some great isnights there Fan!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Captain

You know what, finally I figured out what this swoosh obsession reminds me of:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq-FOl...eature=related
Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
You know what, finally I figured out what this swoosh obsession reminds me of:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq-FOl...eature=related