The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I...have had...enough of...them!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default I...have had...enough of...them!

Starship Modeler. They're a bunch of snobs if you happen to be a little different or don't understand something. They'll get frustrated with you and start talking smack.

I have Asperger's, ADHD and depression and all of them raise red flags with them. Know what I think? I think those who are mean and judgmental there were picked on so much in school by the popular cliques and now, as adults they've found a place where they can be accepted but they lash out the same way the popular kids used to in school to whoever is different from them in their adult years.

You know, if Star Trek has taught me anything, it's to get along with others in spite of their differences. You can find strengths in diversity. All of them claim to be science fiction fans (mostly Star Trek and Star Wars) but they seem to have just watched it for the entertainment value rather that learning something which, I think Star Trek is all about - learning. Sure, not in the typical sense but most if not all of the episodes try to convey some message of tolerance, understanding, compassion, "don't use drugs" and so on. Apparently that message has been lost on a lot of the members over there.

While I've tried to distance myself from the Star Trek uber geek status I had in high school, it'll always have a special place in my heart as one of the biggest and best teachers I've ever had.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 05-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPQ View Post
Starship Modeler. They're a bunch of snobs if you happen to be a little different or don't understand something. They'll get frustrated with you and start talking smack.

I have Asperger's, ADHD and depression and all of them raise red flags with them. Know what I think? I think those who are mean and judgmental there were picked on so much in school by the popular cliques and now, as adults they've found a place where they can be accepted but they lash out the same way the popular kids used to in school to whoever is different from them in their adult years.

You know, if Star Trek has taught me anything, it's to get along with others in spite of their differences. You can find strengths in diversity. All of them claim to be science fiction fans (mostly Star Trek and Star Wars) but they seem to have just watched it for the entertainment value rather that learning something which, I think Star Trek is all about - learning. Sure, not in the typical sense but most if not all of the episodes try to convey some message of tolerance, understanding, compassion, "don't use drugs" and so on. Apparently that message has been lost on a lot of the members over there.

While I've tried to distance myself from the Star Trek uber geek status I had in high school, it'll always have a special place in my heart as one of the biggest and best teachers I've ever had.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Rise above it mate; stick around here more often - I've found these boards to be one of the friendliest and easy going around!

www.thepolice.com
Old 05-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think principally what taught those future humans of Star Trek to get along is that they're ego was cut down to size when they discovered the sheer vastness of the universe and that it is full of other peoples who could literally crush them in any way, shape, or form. Whether it be by awesome psychic powers, amazing intelligence, or brute strength. In modern times, humans are led to believe that we're the sh*t. On our little planet which we've conquered, harnessing its mighty powers for our own uses, we are the most dominant species. Thus, we judge other people harshly, thinking they must live up to some standard of excellence.

If it makes you feel better, i think high school is getting better. Because of the overpopulation in schools, that stereotyped popular kids that everyone knows and envies is virtually impossible to accommodate. Who can we determine to be popular when there's 4,000 kids about who aren't connected much in any way. Also, the stereotypical "geek" isn't exactly a sin now since smart kids are basically isolated from the rest of the school because of AP/IB/college prep classes, meaning we're judged by a smaller, fairly minded group of our peers. I mean, we can't make fun of each other, it'd be like making fun of ourselves even if some of us like Star Trek or play in the high school marching band.

Anyways, don't let society get you down.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo 5150 View Post
Rise above it mate; stick around here more often - I've found these boards to be one of the friendliest and easy going around!
Cabo,

I agree. This forum, for some odd reason, has a really strong "signal to noise" ratio. (That is, more real conversations, less bickering and crap) We've had threads on some pretty touchy subjects lately, and even they managed to play out for quite a while before the started to degrade...

So, to the OP... what kiind of modeling do you do? (I'm mostly into kitbash and scratchbuilding, myself.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Just models. Some resin, mostly styrene plastic ones that you would find at most hobby stores.

I'm pretty good. Not great but good. I can do lots of weathering and stuff. I'm mostly fond of the Klingon ships.

Here's an article I wrote with the model of the Space Jockey from Alien (1979);

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/mp_wash.htm

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Plus, we've got the USS Doperprise flying around here somewhere.

I know what you guys mean - I've checked out some other Trek boards and didn't know if I should laugh or cry!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
No doubt about that!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

That's cool. Some of the resin stuff is pretty amazing. (Actually, I already read your article on SM about the Space Jockey... great work!) One of the projects I'm fiddling with is collecting enough graphic material on the Nostromo refinery to build a 20" version of it. Martin Bower has some GREAT photos of it.

The only recent completion I've made is a half studio scale copy of the Botony Bay. I'll try to get photos of it up on SM, if their site will ever stop bombing out each time I try to upload.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Plus, we've got the USS Doperprise flying around here somewhere.

I know what you guys mean - I've checked out some other Trek boards and didn't know if I should laugh or cry!
What? Dude, someone say Doperprise?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
What? Dude, someone say Doperprise?
Like, were's our ship man??? Did you forget were we parked again dude??