The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How to get Shatner into the movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Midshipman

Obviously the story would not be best served by his presence in the eyes of the filmmakers. I have neither a pressing desire nor vendetta regarding Kirk's appearance in the film. The reason I take this stance is that I have no idea what the story is going to be. Just like anybody else not working on the production. Having Shatner in there just because he's William Shatner would be a horrible idea if the story isn't intended to suit it.

I'll trust the folks making the film until I see it. If for some reason after seeing it there's an obvious reason Shatner would have made the film better, I'll call bull.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Midshipman

C'mon, just let it go you guys.
Midshipman

I'm willing to sneak Shatner into the theatre during the previews. You'd think the guy could afford his own ticket.
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Do we really need another thread about this?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshelle View Post
Do we really need another thread about this?
Oh yes it's a must for every Star Trek site to have at least 5,120 "Bring Back the Shat" threads

Did'nt you get the memo ?

"Once you're inside , you will never want to leave"
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Ensign

Too old, too fat, too late, no Shat.
For the time will come when men will not endure sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
2 Timothy 4:3
Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
Oh yes it's a must for every Star Trek site to have at least 5,120 "Bring Back the Shat" threads

Did'nt you get the memo ?

So true.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Well, we know that the Kobayashi Maru will be featured in Trek '08 and that we see Younger Kirk's infamous "solution"
I know it's going to be difficult to avoid on this messageboard. But could you kindly keep the spoilers to yourself? Or in the least, hidden in some way?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaleck View Post
This whole story could've taken place before his death...
umm, that's sort've the issue here isn't it?

a cameo from Shatner would be horrible for so many reasons... the biggest reason being that he is most recognizable as Kirk outside of Trek movies... to have him IN a Trek movie and not be Kirk would be ridiculous, and worst of all confusing... Nimoy, most recognizable as Spock, will be Spock in the movie... that right there is the biggest thing... Nimoy cannot be Spock while Shatner plays someone else... that just totally doesn't work...

and to bring him back as Kirk would be even worse :/
Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
He died on screen

It's funny how on one hand trek fans want cannon to be paramount (no pun intended) but are willing to let it slide when it suits them

I guess I never understood the term 'Canon'

Quote:
Canon, in the context of a fictional universe, comprises those novels, stories, films, etc., that are considered to be genuine or officially sanctioned, and those events, characters, settings, etc., that are considered to have existence within the fictional universe. In order for a setting to appear cohesive, especially in fictions that contain multiple parts, both creators and audiences sometimes find it useful to define what has and has not "actually happened" in that universe.

Material that is considered canon usually comes from the original source or author of the fictional universe, while (some) spin-offs and adaptations to other media are more likely to be non-canon and fan fiction is almost always non-canon.
Guess I understand sorta, but they could still do it before he dies :P How you get that point to the viewers, I don't know... I'm also not one of those crazed trek fans that want everything to be 100% and freak out about the button being blue and not red or the enterprise being built on earth and not in space... *shrugs* Just a TV show/Movie