The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI: Original Motion Picture Score by Michal Giaccino
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Star Trek XI: Original Motion Picture Score by Michal Giaccino

Musical score is something that, for me, has been at the heart of Star Trek since I've been a fan, and in some cases it has defined my fascination or lack thereof with the films (the only serious critique I've ever given a Trek film was related directly to the theme of Star Trek IV, which IMO royally SUCKED).
Altogether, the only themes which I recognize as truly representative of Star Trek are the ones written by Jerry Goldsmith for Star Trek: TMP, TNG, Trek V, First Contact, Insurrection, Voyager, and Nemesis. Second in my opinion is James Horner's themes for Trek II and Trek III. But this topic is not about personal favorites, although I'd be interested in knowing yours, as well.

This topic was started to see what you think the score for Star Trek XI could, would, and should be like. In the case of this film, we have a new composer; Michael Giaccino, who thus far has revealed very little of what the score for this new film will be like. In any case, what do you think this new composer's score be like? The options are:

1--An orchestrated version of Alexander Courage's TOS theme
2--A re-orchestration of the theme music from an earlier Star Trek film (ala John Ottman's re-use of the classic John Williams theme for Superman Returns)
3--A totally new theme, completely unrelated to any other, with or without Alexander Courage's fanfare
4--A new theme with subtle hints and motifs from other Star Trek scores
5--Not even really a classical score, but almost a mixed genre score (ala Hans Zimmer's more urban-themed percussionist score for' Batman Begins')
6--Something entirely new and unrelated to the options listed (the random option)
7--A combination of certain options as listed above (the mixer)

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 04-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Federation Councillor

Sounds like that would be a good idea, wonder if it will actually happen?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:50 AM
Lieutenant

I really hope either An orchestrated version of Alexander Courage's TOS theme
or A re-orchestration of the theme music from an earlier Star Trek film I did like John Ottman's re score of Superman as it did hold the feeling and scale of the past series but did bring new life
Old 04-23-2008, 05:50 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I would'nt mind hearing a bit of Hans Zimmer type music for the score. Imagain a massive space battle with some gladiator type music or even some pirates of the caribbean at worlds end. Or course you have to have some of the star trek theme some were. Jerry Goldsmith did this sucessfully in TMP by only adding the TOS theme in when kirk was doing a log entry. I stilll dont think you can beat the TMP theme, so somthing like that would be great.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:36 AM
Lieutenant

To be honest, we need something on a grand scale that is very epic. In The Motion Picture we heard something like never before with dark tones and those wierd instruments when we saw Vger that sounded like springs being sprung. Its hard to describe but it was effective and has stood the test of time for it being unique. For this film we need something we have never heard of and it needs to be dark and exillerating when called for. I would love to have dark ambient music since space alone is a dark cold place and it is a sinister atmosphere with death lurking at all corners. If this movie is starting over the franchise the music needs to re-invent itself as well. I dont mind the Alexander Courage theme at all being in the film as it was used very nice and appropriate in The Motion Picture when Kirk was giving his Captains log as Spock was rebalancing the Warp Engines as they were headed to intercept VGer. It would be nice to here this in the movie at an appropriate time. Again I say use something very dark and sinister but when battle is at hand use a riviting score that will blast the audiences out of their seats. Here is an example of the Ambeint music on this youtube videos for TMP The Directors Cut that is vey good and effective that my brother did. I encourage you to watch parts one thru three to get an idea. In Part 2, the music is great when they travel thru the cloud. Please watch and let me know what you think because you have never experienced Star Trek like this before and if you have never seen the Directors Cut then here is your chance. It is broken down to all the new special effects for three 9 minute parts. Its worth it. Thanks from Captain Pike.

Part one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX6r9TTOGNg

Part two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BQUk...eature=related

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9w8L...eature=related

Last edited by Captain Pike : 04-23-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
To be honest, we need something on a grand scale that is very epic. In The Motion Picture we heard something like never before with dark tones and those wierd instruments when we saw Vger that sounded like springs being sprung. Its hard to describe but it was effective and has stood the test of time for it being unique. For this film we need something we have never heard of and it needs to be dark and exillerating when called for. I would love to have dark ambient music since space alone is a dark cold place and it is a sinister atmosphere with death lurking at all corners. If this movie is starting over the franchise the music needs to re-invent itself as well. I dont mind the Alexander Courage theme at all being in the film as it was used very nice and appropriate in The Motion Picture when Kirk was giving his Captains log as Spock was rebalancing the Warp Engines as they were headed to intercept VGer. It would be nice to here this in the movie at an appropriate time. Again I say use something very dark and sinister but when battle is at hand use a riviting score that will blast the audiences out of their seats. Here is an example of the Ambeint music on this youtube videos for TMP The Directors Cut that is vey good and effective that my brother did. I encourage you to watch parts one thru three to get an idea. In Part 2, the music is great when they travel thru the cloud. Please watch and let me know what you think because you have never experienced Star Trek like this before and if you have never seen the Directors Cut then here is your chance. It is broken down to all the new special effects for three 9 minute parts. Its worth it. Thanks from Captain Pike.

Part one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX6r9TTOGNg

Part two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BQUk...eature=related

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9w8L...eature=related

Yeah, that wouldn't be bad at all.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

E-guitar interpretation of previous melodies... like the theme and the Amok Time battle music...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
E-guitar interpretation of previous melodies... like the theme and the Amok Time battle music...
The bass made for some good, diffrent theme music for Spock.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Ensign

I'm not very musically inclined, and I'm not sure how to explain what I envision but here goes... I would like to see a mix of something like a John Williams score (as in his work in Star Wars and Jaws, the grand epic type score) with maybe something like Enterprise's theme originally done by Rod Stewart... I think it might be interesting to see how something like that could be used for like the intro and then have a John Williams-esque score throughout the movie... or maybe I'm just crazy...

God and Soldier we adore in times of trouble not before.
When danger's passed and all is righted,
God forgotten, Soldier slighted
Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28wanted View Post
I'm not very musically inclined, and I'm not sure how to explain what I envision but here goes... I would like to see a mix of something like a John Williams score (as in his work in Star Wars and Jaws, the grand epic type score) with maybe something like Enterprise's theme originally done by Rod Stewart... I think it might be interesting to see how something like that could be used for like the intro and then have a John Williams-esque score throughout the movie... or maybe I'm just crazy...
I hate to tell you this, but Rod had nothing to do with ENT's theme music. Russel Watson sang it, but he does sound quite a bit like Rod, so an easy mistake.