The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Why "The Next Generation" is the best!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Patrick Stewart, yes! Also, they realized up front (possibly a Roddenberry thing) that the show needed that "outer view" the "logical being" who would highlight who humanity was illogical and also why logic was not enough. Data is a wonderful character who embraces the "role" Spock had filled but in a different and interesting way (no one ever took Spock's arm off at a trial, Spock never popped open an arm to rewire a ship's circuit).

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Yeah Data is somewhat of a singularity in Star Trek. He could've so easily been a cheap knock off of Spock but he was his own being on his own journey in all of Star Trek; a real originality, nothing quite like him before in the history of Trek.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Data is the best! Unlike Spock, who tries to hide his humanity, Data seeks to enhance his....he's a very uplifting character for us mere humans...he shows us what is wonderful about us.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:48 AM
Vice Admiral

I guess TOS will always be my first love (after lecturing a fellow second-grader that Klingons do not "cling on" to anything, an obsession was born). Luckily I got to watch it while still too young to notice the flaws. But, now that I am both older and wiser I must admit...

TNG was the better series.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Ensign

Oops... double post.

Last edited by Whitestar : 08-29-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Ensign

TNG had a good run, there's no question about that, but I would not say that its the best Trek series. Granted, it had its fair share of good episodes and while the actors were good, especially Picard Stewart and Brent Spiner's acting (with Marina Sirtis being a liability), the chemistry between them was never like TOS cast. They just were not as chrismatic as TOS cast and this in part has to do with the fact that TNG characters are not very interesting to begin with. This is not TNG cast fault, its Roddenberry's because he created these characters who came across as bland, righteous, preachy people who were true blue heroes who could do no wrong and always told the truth. They were essentially black and white characters with no shades of grey. Essentially, they were cardboard caricatures, not real human beings with flaws, warts, vices and all that good stuff. DS9 got that right and to an extent, even TOS, they were more real to me and that's why I can relate more to these people as opposed to TNG. But what's worse, TNG had no interpersonal conflict, thus, making the show very boring at times. Conflict is the very essence of good drama and if Roddenberry wanted to write for a show that featured no interpersonal conflict, then he would have been better off writing for Sesame Street! In a lot of ways, DS9 is a more worthy successor to TOS than TNG because both TOS and DS9 proved that despite the characters flaws, differences and internal conflicts, when push came to shove, they all worked together as a team and pulled through for each other. An example of this was the love-hate relationship in TOS involving Spock and McCoy and DS9 involving Quark and Odo. They had their differences but they always had a certain respect for each other and save each other lives many times. Michael Piller who wrote for TNG and DS9 said it best, "people who come from different places—honorable, noble people—will naturally have conflicts".

Furthermore, in one interview prior to TNG television premiere, Roddenberry stated that the relationship between Picard and Riker would be a more closer one than Kirk and Spock. Well, in retrospect, that never happened. While the relationship between Picard and Riker was that of respect and admiration, theirs was always more formal than Kirk and Spock. Kirk and Spock hugged each other, went on shoreleave together and even sang campfire songs together. They were more than just friends, colleagues and shipmates, they were family. That was never the case with Picard and Riker and I wished they had a deeper friendship than the final product. Hence, TNG cast did okay on tv, but barely because their chemistry felt forced and they can't carry a film to save their lives, their track record is proof of this. What's ironic about this is that I used to watch TOS during its reruns, but I was too young to understand it at the time, however, when I was a teenager, it was TNG that made me into a full-fledge fan. Now, seeing TNG through the eyes of an adult, TNG is not my favorite trek show anymore, its DS9, but I will always treasure TNG for the good memories of my youth, anyway.

Last edited by Whitestar : 08-29-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Data is the best! Unlike Spock, who tries to hide his humanity, Data seeks to enhance his....he's a very uplifting character for us mere humans...he shows us what is wonderful about us.
The scene they had in Unification which emphasized what you said was just great
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Personally I think that the casting of TNG was spot on perfect. Few of them may have been well known prior but they fit their characters like a glove, and you coul tell that from the minute they were onscreen. You could see it, and when that's the case their likeability and charm saw you through below par episodes.

I totally disagree they weren't a family, they were shipmates to start with, but I defy anyone to watch the last scene of 'All Good Things' and not see they had all become more than that.

It also benefitted from better effects and bigger budgets (most of the time, but it was the 1980s!)

It helps in my affection that TNG was my first Trek series, so naturally I will have a closer affinity for it, but I also agree with all the other positive comments posted by others about the show. I think DS9 is the best overall series, thematically and emotionally, but I don't love it the way I love TNG.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Commander

I still think some hot topics haven't been discussed better on any scifi show than TNG did it.
I even still recognize new scifi series copying parts of TNG. It was one of the best and most intelligent shows.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:41 AM
Lieutenant

it had bigger and better stories, which werent just Saturday afternoon Sunday morning stories.