The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Games/Toys > Games/Toys > Star Trek Online (STO)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Ensign

You want the people at Cryptic to put out monthly updates online for free? who is going to pay the programmers and artists and story writers, servers, testers, forums, etc...?

It is nice to have Free games online; however, people have to get paid... but I think ST:O is going to go the way of Hellgate London or Pirates Online.. Have a limited free account that you can play the basic game to your hearts content, but to get the good stuff, you have to have a subscription..

Last edited by Pestalence_XC : 04-10-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yeah i guess, but i can still dream right?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
Star Trek : Online is still in production. Perpetual is no longer involved,.. they sold the source to Cryptic studios (think Crysis)..

the perpetual Star Trek Online forums have closed but the entire forum is backed up and is how hosted by Chessmess over at StarTrek-Games.com and is now called the STO-Refuge.

Cryptic is very tight lipped about ST:O and won't comment on actually developing the title, however they won't deny making it either.. on a message board at Cryptic, a STG member posted about Star Trek Online, a Cryptic person stated that they can't comment on Star Trek : Online (notice how Cryptic corrected the game title) and that any future projects will be announced at a later time..

which means that Star Trek : Online is being developed, but they are not commenting..

I can't wait for E3 2009 to come out to showcast the game.
I really hope there will be something at E3. Maybe it will turn out that Cryptic is farther along in developing STO than is thought. Or at least they may acknowledge that they're working on the game.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
You want the people at Cryptic to put out monthly updates online for free? who is going to pay the programmers and artists and story writers, servers, testers, forums, etc...?

It is nice to have Free games online; however, people have to get paid... but I think ST:O is going to go the way of Hellgate London or Pirates Online.. Have a limited free account that you can play the basic game to your hearts content, but to get the good stuff, you have to have a subscription..
After seeing many of my friends lives, relationships and GPA's generally ruined by various MMO's they could not break away from. I generally decided that the entire genre was just not for me, however it will take some serious willpower to resist Star Trek Online. If it does go the way of Hellgate I will be happy as a clam. I can get a nice, free Single Player and posibly coop gaming experience, and choose not to be glued to a computer for hours and hours. YAY! I say.