The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > The final episode of Voyager?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Vice Admiral

I found Voyager hard you used to during it's first season. I really wanted to a continuation of story in "known" space. After awhile I got to know and enjoy the characters. With that said I believe having Voyager return home an entire episode or two would have been the wrong. The entire plot of Voyager was the struggle to survive alone in alien territory and how far you would compromise your morals in in order to achieve your goals. Voyager gets home...end of series, in my opinion of course. I would have enjoyed at least 5-10 minutes of loose end tieing though.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Personally, as a writer, I would have done something like this:
Voyager finds a way home, but it's very difficult, and will deplete a majority of the ship's resources - if it doesn't work, there will be no 'second attempt'. In a three-episode arc, the crew finally decide to go for it. (Lots of character building during this period - what'll you do, etc, interspersed amongst the 'main story'.

They finally 'make the jump', and it's dangerous to the point of being deadly, the crew has to work fast-and-hard to the point of exhaustion... but all to the undertone of, 'we can rest after, and we'll be home'...

...only to jump into the middle of a pitched battle between Starfleet and 'choose an antagonist here).

Instead of parades and homecoming, they find themselves fighting a damaged ship with depleted stores in the most desperate battle since... well, 'Year of Hell', only with no nice, neat 'escape clause' like that story arc.

(*Grin*)

In the end, they need help to survive... but their own participation might well have turned the tide. It's an example of mutual needs fulfilled, neither Voyager nor the existing fleet quite enough on it's own, but becoming something 'greater than their parts' when they combine. (i.e., Janeway, her ship too small, weak, and damaged, nevertheless has some 'tactics/strategies' from the Delta Quadrant that'll win the battle..)

THEN would be the two-part season closer... 'mopping up', re-integrating... (i.e., ships in the damaged fleet need experienced personnel, so Voyager transfers some to other ships, etc..) with the final 'finale' scene being almost anti-climatic... the viewer knowing each character trying hard to smile happily during that 'victory parade' already has some other place/person/thing that, mentally, 'they are already there'...

As a writer, I thing this ending would have given great 'closure', while providing the audience the concept that their lives are continuing on...

...but, hey - that's just me.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
Personally, as a writer, I would have done something like this:
Voyager finds a way home, but it's very difficult, and will deplete a majority of the ship's resources - if it doesn't work, there will be no 'second attempt'. In a three-episode arc, the crew finally decide to go for it. (Lots of character building during this period - what'll you do, etc, interspersed amongst the 'main story'.

They finally 'make the jump', and it's dangerous to the point of being deadly, the crew has to work fast-and-hard to the point of exhaustion... but all to the undertone of, 'we can rest after, and we'll be home'...

...only to jump into the middle of a pitched battle between Starfleet and 'choose an antagonist here).

Instead of parades and homecoming, they find themselves fighting a damaged ship with depleted stores in the most desperate battle since... well, 'Year of Hell', only with no nice, neat 'escape clause' like that story arc.

(*Grin*)

In the end, they need help to survive... but their own participation might well have turned the tide. It's an example of mutual needs fulfilled, neither Voyager nor the existing fleet quite enough on it's own, but becoming something 'greater than their parts' when they combine. (i.e., Janeway, her ship too small, weak, and damaged, nevertheless has some 'tactics/strategies' from the Delta Quadrant that'll win the battle..)

THEN would be the two-part season closer... 'mopping up', re-integrating... (i.e., ships in the damaged fleet need experienced personnel, so Voyager transfers some to other ships, etc..) with the final 'finale' scene being almost anti-climatic... the viewer knowing each character trying hard to smile happily during that 'victory parade' already has some other place/person/thing that, mentally, 'they are already there'...

As a writer, I thing this ending would have given great 'closure', while providing the audience the concept that their lives are continuing on...

...but, hey - that's just me.
Wow! That would have been awesome. More than just "we made it!" ... The End, but resolved in the final episode. I like your idea.