The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The lost music of TOS...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Commander

Some of the background music for the later series' seemed more subtle, but that music that led up to the "TO BE CONTINUED in TNG "BOBW" still makes me go "whoa" just like I did when I was a kid.

But the TOS fight theme was pretty great. I kind of wish that the Remastered project had been more complete, and re-recorded all those themes as originally written, like they did for the opening theme... and brought that music into a new glory with new digital recording equipment.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Mostly it was economics. Much cheaper and easier to score an episode from TNG by paying some guy who has a good computer emulator than getting a composer, renting a scoring stage, paying a small orchestra, recording the tracks...

Unfortunately, the guy they got to score TNG couldn't come up with anything much more memorable than "library music" is. In fact, I'd say some of the library music I've heard is better than what they used for TNG, and most of the new series in general. (With the exception of the main themes.)
There were ultimately a handful of composers on TNG and the subsequent spinoffs, including Dennis McCarthy, Ron Jones, and Jay Chataway. But from what I remember reading when the shows were first run, the mandate for the generic, non-thematic score music came from Rick Berman. Apparently he didn't want the music to upstage the acting or something like that. That's why Ron Jones (who scored "The Best of Both Worlds") ultimately wasn't invited back, he kept trying to put themes into the scores. Dennis McCarthy and the others stuck to the, as you call it, "library music" routine. I don't argue that the boss can't call the shots, but I don't have to agree with it. I wished the music in TNG and the shows that followed followed in the musical manner that we fell in love with on TOS.