The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The Omega Glory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Even with its good idea "Omega Glory" doesn't come off quite right, but it still rocks because of Ron Tracey. You'd never catch Captain Tracey buffing his nails before time trials. Instead he'd be kicking somebody's ***.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180px-Ronald_Tracey.jpg (6.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Tracey is a character who could believably show up in the new movie. That would be a nice little treat for the fans.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I think they are all pretty far fetched... but then, a universe populated by more that one humanoid race is pretty much straining the "belief-o-meter" anyway.
I dont remember where I read it or how reliable the source was, but somewhere deep in my brain is the info, that scriptwriters where debating the parallel world concept with Roddenberry and proposed human colonies instead. Roddenberry sticked with his beloved concept (perhaps also because it was pitched in his original proposals to ensure the Network, the investors and the production company that production costs would not explode by reusing props and costumes and sets of other movie productions).

In TNG the parallel world concept was finally gone. Eventhough we still got annoyed by all these alien cultures, not only humanoid, but h o m o sapiens .

(These boards do not let one write H O M O, therefore the free spaces, we allready made our fun of that elsewhere.
By the way, Startrek.com doesnt allow c o c k pit).
Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Admiral

One thing that is sort of nice about the "parallel evolution" stories is there aren't stupid superficial differences.... I mean...is it really likely that a race would evolve that looked exactly like humans, but with bright green skin and white hair? If the environment was so different bright green skin happened, then why is everything else the same? At least when they threw in the towel and said "make 'em look human" it was stupid enough to be funny....when they tried and came up with "paint him green"....it was a tad pitiful.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Yet, the green Orion slavegirls are almost a symbol of Trek itself. (Right along with big headed bald humanoids... Baylock, the Talosians, the guys from the Empath... You almost expect those guys to laugh evilly at the landing party, tilting their heads back, and start losing their balance...)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Admiral

I just watched Elaan of Troyius and I'd forgotten that the Troyans were green (Elaan is being given to the leader of Troyius as a gift...) and have hair that looks like an ice cream swirley....It wasn't overly believable...

Old 04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

But it was at least interesting... so much of the Trek designs for costume and makeup these days is so.... blah... in comparison.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Admiral

I'm just sayin'.....

Old 04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Captain

Nah, Eliza, here I must disagree. The Andorians for instance are among the most favoured Aliens in the Trek Universe but basicly they are just blue marsians. Vulcans? Rubber ears? I think we all are aware that films have budget restrictions. The Andorians are a fine example how one can make people look Alien enough for the purposes of a TV show in the 1960ies without blowing the budget.

However, if one chooses to not do more then the standard make up on actors, then make their characters human colonists from the post apocalyptic era. But dont call them a parallel evolution - thats just BS.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Andorians have antennae....clearly something very different. Plus they are universally small. I think the Vulcan thing is suspect...there should be more differences based on the different gravity and air. There's no way there could be that huge an interior difference with the exterior looking essentially the same. I agree with you that budget restrictions were at fault, but to me, when they couldn't afford to do a good job with the alien, it became a focal point.