The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Is Monogamy The Greatest Weapon Against Aids?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Captain

Monogamy and no sex before marriage founded the United States? I thought that was the Declaration of Independance, the principles of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. And they state something about sexual abstinence and monogamy to protect the society against AIDS? How far thinking of Mr. Washington and his friends.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Captain

No one asked if monogamy should be the only solution but simply would it be the most powerful.
I am happy to entertain a variety of opinions contrary to mine but the idea that one partner relationships will lead to psychological problems is about the silliest thing i've ever read.
In fact far more marriages worked when that was more of a community value.
Blaming sex? i think the original post answers that one. Of course sex is not the only way aids is transmitted but it is the most common way. So back to the original question Would monogamy as a community value diminish the spread of aids?

The most insipid argument though is to attack a value by giving it a derogatory label such as victorian or draconian. Lazy lazy arguement.
A value is determined by it's positive impact on us as individuals or as a community not simply because it was also followed by those from another time who may also have done other things wrong.
Of course this is basic which is why we want to jump to some silly suggestion that monogamy would indeed be bad for the community. We'll all end up in the asylum.
Do we really live in a time where technology is so advanced yet as individuals we cannot determine value based upon it's own merits and it's ultimate rewards for individuals and society?
Obligation is not a dirty word.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Total annihiliation of the human race is the best way to eliminate AIDS.

Whatever the second best option is, I think I prefer it
Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaldo View Post

Old 03-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:

You've a hardcore definition of 'best'.

Yeah, I agree. Second best is best here.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...
Old 03-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...
I hear ya.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fawkes View Post
So back to the original question Would monogamy as a community value diminish the spread of aids?
Besides that victorian is not a dirty word, of course monogamy as a "comunity value" would diminish the spread of AIDS. But it comes with a prizetag on it:

To make it a "comunity value", one would have to engage in major public campaigns that declare sex before or outside of marriage an irresponsible act.
That would start the question why gays arent allowed to marry (wich I do not understand anyway). So one has to change the law from that perspective too.
Next stop, enforce this "comunity value". What means are justifyed to enforce it? Financial bonuses for marriage? Fines for pre-marriage sex? Or is public blame enough?
Result: More possibilities for envyous neighbours to spy into your life and start trouble.
Also consider how this "comunity values" will make sex something harmfull and dirty again.
And at this point we come to psychology. How do I feel when I strongly want something, that I am not allowed to get, because I am not married? What do you think? In my experience a bad concious for a very natural and healthy need is not a healthy thing.

Luckilly we have condoms. A lot cheaper from many perspectives, I think.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Vice Admiral

//dusts off history degree//

The Victorians were actually a bunch of non-married living-in-sin rutting yahoos. Go look at the birth records for the lower classes. In fact, that's true throughout European history. What we think of when we think of Victorian sexual repression is the behavior of the upper-middle, upper, and aristocratic classes.

Also, momogamy is rare in nature. How do we know we're designed to be monogamous? That might just be someone's church forcing their dogma on you! (Kind of like the Pope not letting people wear condoms to protect from AIDS. That makes my head turn around like Linda Blair's.)

What usually works best in such situations is the majority of people doing what feels morally correct to them, and then doing their utmost to mind their own business when it comes to the behavior of others.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:16 PM

You buy a house here, a hotel there, pas "Go" a few times, buy some property and hopefully the other player lands on your property once in a while so you can collect rent. If you're lucky, you might land on "Chance" or "Community Chest" once in a while, or get all four Railroads or both Utilites. But i still don't see how that's going to help end a terrible communicable disease. It just doesn't make sense!