The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > New forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Commander

I've been away on the Star trek.com forum, due to my previous inability to post here. But they are closing the boards there. This is what they posted:

StarTrek.com, over the next several weeks, will begin closing its official fan galleries and boards. First, on April 28, the galleries and boards will be locked to enable fans to view and save their favorite posts. Then, on May 28, the StarTrek.com galleries and boards will be removed from the site.

We invite fans to share their favorite photos and join the lively conversations on the official Star Trek social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:08 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I've been away on the Star trek.com forum, due to my previous inability to post here. But they are closing the boards there. This is what they posted:

StarTrek.com, over the next several weeks, will begin closing its official fan galleries and boards. First, on April 28, the galleries and boards will be locked to enable fans to view and save their favorite posts. Then, on May 28, the StarTrek.com galleries and boards will be removed from the site.

We invite fans to share their favorite photos and join the lively conversations on the official Star Trek social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest.
Okay, so StarTrek.com has announced that their galleries and boards will be locked April 28 then removed from the site May 28. I've seen no announcement about the future of this forum, although it previously crashed without warning or any notice posted when it was down and then without fanfare was reactivated but with new members unable to post and only a handful of the old members coming back. Even now, on any given day, if you click on the name of the newest member at the bottom of the index page, you can see that member's join date as the current day, meaning that every day there are people joining this forum but are not allow to post. That and the closure of Janeway's is what got us into the discussion of perhaps starting a new forum.

Maybe the announcement by the CBS site inviting people to make use of the Star Trek social-media sites can be taken to imply that there is no longer much need for fan-created Star Trek forums, and I'm certainly not qualified to give an opinion on that. But there does seem to be an attitude in the air that there is no need at least for any new fan-operated Trek forums or even much left to discuss, that it has all been discussed to death. I don't know about that, but Star Trek Journal, the subject of this thread, seems to be doing pretty well so far for a brand-new Trek forum. It's only a month old but more active than most and well supported by the few remaining active members for this forum, even though this thread is still probably the main link to it.

Anyway, it's up to over 400 posts in the first month, has a nice color scheme, combadge thread markers, Starfleet rank pips, LCARS function buttons, and Trek emoticons. And content so far includes 95 LCARS-style schematics, a lot of photos of the filming models of Trek ships, a little CGI, and other such goodies. And it's growing in content and membership. So at least it's looking good so far.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Well, I got the skin looking nice, I think, with colors to my liking, commbadge forum markers, LCARS function buttons, rank pips, Trek emoticons, and a bunch of JavaScript patches to rein in various default displays that were detracting from the style, plus one as a countermeasure against mistaking the registration CAPTCHA box for advertising. It's still sorely lacking in the type threads I'm not good at writing: ones about episodes. So I've got much work to do on content. But it's coming along.

Being close to 1,000 posts already sounds good, but nine days ago I was notified by e-mail of a new forum dedicated to Trek artwork that had just been launched to replace one that had crashed. It had four members and over 100 posts already, and I joined as member No. 5. Even though only members can view the threads and they have only 11 members, they're up to over 650 posts in less than two weeks. And the only links they have, as far as I know, are the thread I started at Star Trek Journal and a link on my own LCARS 24 Web site. Compared with that, 980 posts since March 22 sounds pretty poor. Besides large MSDs, etc. they have complete sets of LCARS panels for one shuttle, a runabout, and some others that could be printed out and used if anybody were building cockpit sets for fan films (or a mock-up!). Anyway, a lot of pretty cool stuff.

Here's the link to that forum full of beautiful Star Trek artwork, although only registered members are allowed to view it:

nu-lcarsc.com
Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
Well, I got the skin looking nice, I think, with colors to my liking, commbadge forum markers, LCARS function buttons, rank pips, Trek emoticons, and a bunch of JavaScript patches to rein in various default displays that were detracting from the style, plus one as a countermeasure against mistaking the registration CAPTCHA box for advertising. It's still sorely lacking in the type threads I'm not good at writing: ones about episodes. So I've got much work to do on content. But it's coming along.

Being close to 1,000 posts already sounds good, but nine days ago I was notified by e-mail of a new forum dedicated to Trek artwork that had just been launched to replace one that had crashed. It had four members and over 100 posts already, and I joined as member No. 5. Even though only members can view the threads and they have only 11 members, they're up to over 650 posts in less than two weeks. And the only links they have, as far as I know, are the thread I started at Star Trek Journal and a link on my own LCARS 24 Web site. Compared with that, 980 posts since March 22 sounds pretty poor. Besides large MSDs, etc. they have complete sets of LCARS panels for one shuttle, a runabout, and some others that could be printed out and used if anybody were building cockpit sets for fan films (or a mock-up!). Anyway, a lot of pretty cool stuff.

Here's the link to that forum full of beautiful Star Trek artwork, although only registered members are allowed to view it:

nu-lcarsc.com
Sorry LCARS, but the new colour scheme is way too dark and impossible to read the posts! If your going to emulate this forum that's okay, but keep to exactly the same colour scheme please or go back to a lighter version, please.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Sorry LCARS, but the new colour scheme is way too dark and impossible to read the posts! If your going to emulate this forum that's okay, but keep to exactly the same colour scheme please or go back to a lighter version, please.
The background is slightly lighter on my forum than on this one (dec 48, 64, 80 to 47, 49, 53) with white (dec 255, 255, 255) lettering on mine and very light gray (dec 211, 211, 211) here, therefore with more contrast (slightly higher legibility) on mine. They both use the same font in the same size. But the light/dark difference of the background is really very small.

I guess you mean that you prefer black text on a white background. I can understand that. That's the default. That's how Sb63's Star Trek Logs is displayed, with smaller lettering (It uses the same host, same forum software). I recommended that when you guys were discussing the need for a new forum. My forum has a setting to allow the user to have it displayed like that, but in my total ignorance in these matters I started out by just modifying the CSS, which means I turned the default display into a custom skin. So in order for me to enable the option for you to use the setting in the User Control Panel to activate the default skin (and make it look like Sb63's forum), I'll have to find out what the required procedure is and follow it exactly. Okay, I'll do the research and implement that and test it to make sure it works with no quirks. Then you can have black on white. But for now both settings lead to the skin I've made, since I knew nothing of those protocols when making the skin. And once I do that. I'll have to do something else I've been lazy about, which is adding alpha channel to the Trek emoticons so they'll be displayed properly regardless of background color.

What I consider illegible is medium gray lettering on a white background. I don't know why that's so popular. I have to copy and paste and change the colors just to read it.

A few days ago someone outside the forum praised the skin I made, but that got me thinking that most people must not like it, since if they did there would already be plenty of others with at least the same background color, which is simply #304050 (dec 48, 64, 80).

Actually, I've gotten very little feedback about the color scheme. So I don't know what percentages of people like/dislike it, not that I want to start a poll or anything.

Last edited by LCARS 24 : 06-23-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Here's a sample with the brightness of the font cut down from #FFFFFF to D8D8D8. Maybe you'll like that better. Enabling the black-on-white option is something I'm not really happy about attempting.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I had trouble making sense of "impossible to read the posts." Then I thought maybe you meant the preview text color. So I changed it from light blue to the color of the regular text in posts, which I had already toned down from #FFFFFF to #D8D8D after seeing your comment. I hope that addresses the issue.

And maybe it's the result of using Google Tools early on, but here's the list of Google's indexed pages for Star Trek Journal:

Google listing for Star Trek Journal

I also centered the masthead, as per someone's suggestion by PM.

So now both preview and final text of posts are like this (text: D8D8D8, background: #304050):

Last edited by LCARS 24 : 07-09-2014 at 12:05 PM.