The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Janeway's forum is dead
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
Any threat is a problem. It was nonspecific, but someone who knows your identity can do damage by e-mailing your employer, clients, whatever, accusing you of crimes or whatever. They can find ways. I've seen it happen. The rules didn't mention types or degrees of threat, but vandalism these days can be carried out from another continent.

And even though that forum politely blew me off when I reported it, they did add a notice to their PM page about abusive or threatening private messages. And maybe they figured that if they banned him he might just start a smear campaign by e-mail against the person that reported him and that I would blame (and maybe even sue) the forum operators if he managed to inflict some serious damage.
Wow that's scary to think about, I never imagined it could go so far, potentially life destroying. Is making me quite angry just thinking about.

Like Kevin this has been my first forum and the only one I have continued to post at really. I think fondly back to its prime and nowhere else I've joined has been quite the same. Be nice if we got a bit more traffic but without anything new really happening you can't undestand why most people drifted away. I personally think there's always new points of view and conversations to be had about Trek but with people having busy lives and the buzz around the new films long past I can see why it happens.

I also agree that SB63's forum is well run and is a nice place to be, but like Kevin I've struggled to fit with it for some reason, though I can't quite figure out why, perhaps a slight clique? Who knows. I think I will try and make a bit more of an effort though as I've missed the discussions had on a forum like this, may even consider joining a forum reflecting another interest. Based on your creative outputs LCARS24 and those of Martok I bet I'd find you both on Scifi-Meshes if I joined that forum?!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

I just deleted my link to the Janeway forum in my bookmarks. It's the end of an era

Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I didn't know about ProBoards. It will let me create a forum that looks pretty much like this but with a little advertising at the top and bottom, over which I would have no control but I would get unlimited bandwidth and full forum features and free technical support. I would get no money from the advertising or anything else but would not have to pay anything for hosting or software or technical support, just put in whatever time and effort it takes to run the thing. It's very customizable. So I can at least make it look good. It does have some registration-screening features, not exactly as I envisioned, but good enough. ProBoards hosts over 3 million forums and should serve the purpose well enough.

Sb63's Star Trek Logs uses InvisionFree. That looks like a really good choice.

I'll check it out in detail after I get caught up with work.

Last edited by LCARS 24 : 03-21-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Okay, how's this?

Star Trek Journal