The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Into Darkness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 AM
Commander

The commentary track is an iTunes exclusive.

One-third of the featurettes are Target exclusives on a bonus disc.

Another third of the featurettes are Best Buy exclusives. At least in Canada, you get those on an actual disc.

The whole thing was extremely asinine, and Paramount was reportedly 'surprised' by the negative response from BluRay consumers.

EDIT: Here's a public rant on the subject.

http://geekleagueofamerica.com/2013/...-digital-bits/

Last edited by samwiseb : 10-02-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Thanks for that link, a very interesting read.

There actually was a slight element of that in the UK. There were a couple of Steelbook options from different retailers and the one I plumped for (I wanted the one with the cover of the Enterprise falling poster over the one of Cumberbatch standing in front of burning London) has probably about maybe the 60-70 minutes of stuff.

But one supermarket had a release that was the film plus those featurettes and a special exclusive disc with a couple ones that aren't on the version I bought. And none of them came with a commentary.

But I totally agree with the guy being interviewed. I have absolutely no interest in Ultraviolet and while I've begun to stream a little more than I used to (it came in handy actually for an out of curiosity marathoning of 'Alcatraz') if I saw a film I really liked I would still want the physical Blu Ray and a dose of additional content. That isn't going to change.

Like the guy says, that's my 'stuff'. And I like having my 'stuff' being something I can pull off a shelf and not just access in the Cloud. I don't even get The Cloud anyway.............it's just gobbledeygook to me.

I know the film got a mixed rap, but when it came out on Blu Ray I was genuinely amazed by how much content was on the fully loaded 'Prometheus' Blu Ray. Just hours and hours of commentaries and making of's (that 'Furious Gods' documentary was so comprehensive and ran about three hours on it's own). It was just more work than I had seen in a single movie Blu Ray release in ages.

Outside of LOTR, Star Wars, Avatar style packages.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

I have just a very basic DVD copy that is just the movie and nothing else

Old 10-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I'd just like to go on record as saying that of all the Treks I've watched on television, if there were any turkeys, I mostly found them in TOS...but even those are enjoyable to some degree.

Overall, I have yet to find a Trek episode of any series that I could say I hate. In truth, I have yet to find one that I don't even like.
This.
Stuff like the space hippies or the warp ten lizard episode are of course bad but gee, not every Trek piece can or should be sublime.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Stuff like the space hippies or the warp ten lizard episode are of course bad but gee, not every Trek piece can or should be sublime.
This, in return.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Commander

I've gotta say there are plenty of turkeys! I agree in that producing a series day and day out means that sometimes a bad one slips through the net, it's to be expected, but some really are just plain bad.

In terms of TOS the bad ones are rarely boring... simply by being TOS with that set of characters gives it a certain charm that makes them watchable. Most of the bad ones were understandably in the 3rd season and consisted mostly of "a small group of people commandeer the Enterprise for a cheap bottle show".

Were I think TOS got bad were episodes like the Cloud Minders, which have Spock boasting about his sexual prowess as I remember, a really bad uncomfortable scene!

The bad and boring episodes IMO opinion were mostly confined to Voyager, I mean The Fight, Favourite Son, Unforgetable... very bad.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Commander

Comic Shenanigans: Spotlight on Star Trek Into Darkness

For more info on Comic Shenanigans please see here. Feedback welcome.