The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > TNG bridge restoration project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Commander

I always kinda liked the side stations. What were those things in the TV series anyway, file cabinets?

I was being partly facetious above (has it been really dead around here or what). But I can't help finding it ironic that those sets were specifically designed for one series of productions, yet most everyone wants to remember them for another.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Federation Councillor

It's not a dealbreaker but last time I watched Generations I thought they were cluttersome and interfered with the simplicity of the original design.

I don't know what was behind the panels though there may have been an episode somewhere that made it look like just a rack of isolinear optical chips were behind at least one of them.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Commander

Haven't gotten that far in the BluRays, but I think it's said that in the interviews someone talks about redesigning the ship for 'Yesterday's Enterprise', and saying that is what they felt the ship should have looked liked all along. And I guess I see a kind of lineage between how they changed the sets/lighting for both that episode and the movie.

Mostly, I think the changes for the movie were done with the 2.35 aspect ratio in mind, where they suddenly needed to not have it look like there was a lot of wasted space.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Commander

The generations bridge is meant to be how they intended it to be I think.

I also found the side stations a bit busy and with all the heavy contrast it the bridge a bit distracting to the eye. You could argue that it made the bridge a bit more realistic as it was meant to be the nerve centre of the ship, that said in the original shows bible it was meant to be simple and streamlined - ultimately i guess it's down to personal taste.

What bothered me more about it was the darkness, if you go back and rewatch the film the whole thing is very dimly lit, it's almost as if they're trying to save on their electricity bill or in the middle of switching to cheap energy saving lightbulbs. It's really apparent in the ready room and 10-forward especially, I guess it's meant to add atmosphere but was a bit annoying really IMO. Maybe comes across better on the big screen.

To the main thread subject - I'd love to see a proper bridge recreation like that, am keen to see how it goes.