The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Star Wars Episode VII has a DP and will be shot in 35mm
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Commander

Default Star Wars Episode VII has a DP and will be shot in 35mm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63813

This is the first bit of news that actually makes me somewhat interested in whatever the wizzersnitch they're doing with this thing.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Federation Councillor

News isn't coming too fast at all. I'm still not pumped for this one but I kinda don't mind to a degree. It's Star Wars...............I'm gonna go see it at least once regardless.

I like that there seems to be a sense that with going back to the UK studios where the original trilogy was shot that instead of the heavy CGI environments of the prequels we'll get physical sets augmented with CGI. Abrams at least seems to like working practically where he can. Based on his previous films as well. He seems to like 35mm as well. And I've liked the look of all his films visually to date.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 08-24-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Commander

With digital cinema all but taking over, I personally love it whenever someone goes out of their way to shoot 35mm, Super 35, 70mm, IMAX (film), or what-have-you. Be it Nolan, Abrams or whoever.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Admiral

I never worry about how it's been shot. Don't go to IMAX theaters though, bad for my neck!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Federation Councillor

I wouldn't say I was a film purist as such, I think there are advantages to digital (and I think sometimes I honestly couldn't always tell when a film has been shot on film vs digital - although I know David Fincher shoots digital) but I know there's going to be tension in the next few yeas over which of the two is co sidered 'better'.

Based on my recent acquiring of older and properly remastered and restored films (Jaws, Lawrence of Arabia, Indiana Jones 1, The Birds and a few others) I can't argue with how film looks when it's at it's best but I know it now has cost implications over digital. And many other pro and con based points of view.

I suppose as a non film-maker I only have to consider whether I like the actual end product.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Commander

I think at this point pretty much everything is going to be digital, and even older remastered films will mostly exist in digital from now on (hopefully archived in 4k or higher). The original negatives will always be around, but... they're going to continue to degrade.

And I think digital is probably just as good as film by now, again providing it's 4k or higher. The last two SW movies were shot in 1080p to my understanding, which is not even 2k. Needless to say it's gotten a lot better since then.

I shudder though to think that the SW original trilogy is itself only 1080p now, mastered back in 2004, and that the o-negs have only been allowed to continue disintegrating since then. Of course there's so much misinformation out there (often fueled by angry fans) that it's impossible to know what's true.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

My disappointment of the canceling of Clone Wars is far larger than my anticipation of a new trilogy. Ignoring the involvement of particular people whose artistic skills I regard as virtually inexistent (OK, I am exaggerating, as long as Abrams just directs, does not bring along the usual bunch of abysmal writers and thus has zero influence upon the script or any other major creative decision beyond the narrow direction of the movie everything will be fine), the new trilogy cannot work in theory because Star Wars is basically mythology. Before stories do but after stories do not work in mythology. A story set after the death of Anakin and the destruction of the Empire is like writing a Fourth Age story set in Middle-Earth. Not to mention that the rough outline is totally predictable, the Sith rise again somehow and threaten the New Republic.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, I'm still anxious. Long as we get a good story, I'm pretty fired up for new Star Wars. I'm not fanatical, or fanboyish about it...hell, I'm not even a fan of anything anymore. I just want more Star Wars.

As for Clone Wars, well, we knew it was coming to an end...I only hope they conclude it in such a way that gives us some clue as to what becomes of Asokha.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:35 AM
Federation Councillor

I never did catch The Clone Wars.............I must try and rent it sometime for curiosity.

Once the project firms up (at the moment there's no release date though it looks like they want sometime in 2015, Abrams is supposed to be relocating to begin production in early 2014 but I don't know if that's set in stone strictly and rumours of original cast members returning) more than it is at present I'll be able to gauge how 'excited' I may be on it. But like I said.............I'm guaranteed to see it once at minimum so it may not even matter how I feel going in.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Commander

Didn't Lucas always say The Clone Wars was only going to last about 100 episodes?