The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Enterprise-A Main Engineering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default



I think I figured it out. These are the Jefferies tubes we see Kirk, Spock and McCoy walking down later on in the film and they just added those consoles in the background in addition to that console that Scotty is using. So, as mentioned before, since this was such a small scene, it makes sense I guess that they didn't feel the need to make a whole new set, or redress the TNG set for this scene.
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-10-2010, 02:28 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

I always thought they looked a little wide to be Jeffries Tubes when compared to the TOS versions.

But it's possible.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I always thought they looked a little wide to be Jeffries Tubes when compared to the TOS versions.

But it's possible.
In 'The hunted' in TNG they chase Danar through Jeffries tubes (the first and only time I believe that they're seen as almost full sized corridors) so I guess it makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Yeah, but the Galaxy class was also a significantly larger vessel - and it also had smaller Jeffries tubes as well, such as the ones from 'Lessons'.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
STAR TREK V

Here we see a much smaller engine room. I like it a lot, but where's the engine? And where are all the engineering crews? Surely it takes more than one man to operate a starship engine room.

Well, remember the crew had less than a skeleton crew aboard that that could have been a reason as to why he was the only one we see. But still, you're right, there should have been at least one or two seen on screen. Scotty wouldn't have been able to do everything himself.

*Also, speaking out of universe for a second, I can't help but notice how those consoles were just put there to enclose the space even though you can clearly see that it's in the middle of a walkway leading to another tube.v And where we are made to believe that Scotty is actually looking at the warp core, it's just down a hallway that they use later on in the film when Scotty bumps his head. Sorry for killing it!!!
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM
omegaman's Avatar
omegaman omegaman is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Penrith NSW Australia
Posts: 4,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Well, remember the crew had less than a skeleton crew aboard that that could have been a reason as to why he was the only one we see. But still, you're right, there should have been at least one or two seen on screen. Scotty wouldn't have been able to do everything himself.

*Also, speaking out of universe for a second, I can't help but notice how those consoles were just put there to enclose the space even though you can clearly see that it's in the middle of a walkway leading to another tube.
Agree. An afterthought surely.
__________________
TREK IS TREK. WHATEVER THE TIMELINE!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 AM
Akula2ssn's Avatar
Akula2ssn Akula2ssn is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The 'retirement' makes little sense technically either, for the reason that you mentioned, but again that would be likely a case of doing it more for the emotional impact of it being their collective story ending.

I suppose it would have been less impactful to have them say the crew was being decomissioned but not the ship.

At the time fans could have maybe rationalised (given there's so much that kinda is open to rationalisations) that just the crew was being stood down, and the ship would have been re-crewed and sent out with a new command crew but then Generations blew that out the water by having a totally new ship! Never mind though.

Regarding the corridors, again, none of this stuff makes a lot of sense if you stop and think about it - a Connie has in TFF identical corridors to the 'state of the art' Galaxy 90 years later, but then in the next film they are different, along with the bridge - so, yeah, each director just did a ship revamp to suit themselves.

As it turns out, Abrams did the same thing!
Actually we technically don't know anything about the fate of the ship after 6. In fact we can actually see logic for the decommissioning of the ship at the beginning of the movie during the briefing with the Star Fleet C&C during which it is stated, not in these exact same terms, that the peace between the Klingons and the Federation would almost certainly result in a draw down of force size. Dismantling of the space stations and starbases, mothballing of the star fleet, etc. Decommissioning is nothing more than taking the ship out of active service. What happens beyond that is kind of up in the air. Most people tend to think scrap yard, but in reality reserve fleet is also quite possible since a lot of ships go there before the scrap yard. A reserve fleet is really just a bunch of ships that are fully functional just they aren't armed, have probably minimal fuel on board and are either fully or partially decommissioned. In fact I think in the novel Sarek, that's kind of what happens. In addition to the adventure in the book, the ship is kind of in a partial decommissioned status to effect repairs before going inactive.
__________________

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 02-01-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
Actually we technically don't know anything about the fate of the ship after 6. In fact we can actually see logic for the decommissioning of the ship at the beginning of the movie during the briefing with the Star Fleet C&C during which it is stated, not in these exact same terms, that the peace between the Klingons and the Federation would almost certainly result in a draw down of force size. Dismantling of the space stations and starbases, mothballing of the star fleet, etc. Decommissioning is nothing more than taking the ship out of active service.
Right, I can totally see your point. However, the Enterprise-A was the flagship of the Federation at the time. I doubt that the Enterprise would have been mothballed during a time of crisis. After the Khittomer Accords were signed, it made sense to have it decommissioned after. I mean, I'm sure the crew were due for retirement before this event with the Klingons even happened.
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable

Last edited by Quark : 06-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-18-2013, 07:07 AM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,458
Default

"This ship, and her legacy, will shortly become the care of another crew...."
-from the final log entry of James T. Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A.


I think the Ent-A might have gotten a few more adventures in under another crew just before StarFleet finally retired the ship, if the words of the much vaunted Kirk (as played by the over-vaunted Shatner) are anything to go by.
__________________


Last edited by martok2112 : 08-18-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
"This ship, and her legacy, will shortly become the care of another crew...."
-from the final log entry of James T. Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A.


I think the Ent-A might have gotten a few more adventures in under another crew just before StarFleet finally retired the ship, if the words of the much vaunted Kirk (as played by the over-vaunted Shatner) are anything to go by.
In my opinion, I believe Kirk was referring to the ship as in the name "Enterprise" and her "history" aka lineage of the past starships Enterprise, and now this one. So, while the ship herself--The Enterprise-A--was decommissioned and would no longer be in service, the name "Enterprise" would last forever and a part of her will be within each upcoming flagship.
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.