The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Why do you think the Doctor's character was so popular?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Doc is one of my absolute favorite characters in Voyager, and perhaps all of Star Trek.

I think he kinda reminds me, in some ways, of Major Winchester from M*A*S*H*, and of Dr. McKay from StarGate Atlantis. All three could be real blow-hards, but when the situation demanded it, their ethics were second to none, and they did the right thing, even if it meant bending a rule, or taking firm measures to do so.

The Doctor, to me, is a melding of Leonard McCoy, and Commander Data. On the McCoy side of things, he always had that "I'm a doctor, not a (insert needed function here)", and a sometimes irascible wit....and other times, his sarcasm and sardonicism could shine through with class. On the Data side of things, the Doctor sought acceptance among the Voyager crew the way Data did amongst his crew, and amongst humanity itself. The Doctor sought to better himself by studying humanity, and even by being a coach in humanity as he became the mentor for both Seven of Nine, and before her, Kes. (Although Kes was a much more easy going pupil. )

It is a credit to Robert Picardo that he made the Doctor so relatable. He straddled an emotional tightrope at all times, never being too overjoyed or too angry or too upset....always striking just the right balance to let folks know how he felt without needing to go full on with whatever emotion he felt at the time.

One of my favorite episodes is the one where the Doctor experimented with having a family. The family first started out being like a 1950's "Leave It To Beaver" type family...or perhaps a bit more extremely, almost Stepford-like-ish-esque. And then, when B'elanna monkeyed a little bit with his simulation, the family became dysfunctional. The tragedy of his holo-daughter always puts a lump in my throat, the scenes were so beautifully played.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Yes. Liked that episode as well.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

The Doctor was definitely a good character. I like the comparison to Winchester on MASH, I think it fits well.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Admiral

I think DS9 has the best overall character development though. A lot more insight into each as the show progressed, especially the relationship between Quark and Odo.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I think DS9 has the best overall character development though. A lot more insight into each as the show progressed, especially the relationship between Quark and Odo.
Definitely, DS9 was the most character driven of the various Treks. They had the freedom to explore the characters that I don't think was equaled in any of the other series. Not to same degree at least. They all offered us some.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

I like to add that VOY, often considered to be too bright and optimistic, compared to DS9 and given that the ship is all alone out there, did not shy away from portraying a crew which treated a sentient hologram badly.
Even if they did now know that the guy is more than just some algorithms I find it pretty hard to imagine not treating somebody who looks human like he is human.

Concerning DS9, I think Picardo was a guy who played his character into the foreground (kinda changing his initial character setup analogous to how Shatner changed the setup of Kirk) whereas DS9 featured consistently good character writing from the very beginning. Of course I do not wanna imply that the Doctor had bad lines or that the DS9 actors could not play.