The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > They FINALLY got Circuit Breakers on the Bridge!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Commander

I was recently watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture on Blu, and the circuit breakers seem to work fine in that movie as well.

I wonder if we have Nick Meyer to thank for all the years/decades ST has shown us panels and other electric gadgets exploding on the bridge. I do vaguely recall Spock tamping out a fire underneath his console in 'Balance of Terror,' however that's the only classic TOS instance that comes to mind.

Now I'm suddenly curious to watch ST09 and STID again.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Given that they are all ladies their options are kind of limited.
Touche', good sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I was recently watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture on Blu, and the circuit breakers seem to work fine in that movie as well.

I wonder if we have Nick Meyer to thank for all the years/decades ST has shown us panels and other electric gadgets exploding on the bridge. I do vaguely recall Spock tamping out a fire underneath his console in 'Balance of Terror,' however that's the only classic TOS instance that comes to mind.

Now I'm suddenly curious to watch ST09 and STID again.
Well, even though it might seem nonsensical to have exploding or shorting out control consoles, it does make for a visually impacting effect in terms of just what directed energy fire might do to a starship's interior. I've always looked at it as this:

Phasers/disruptors are directed energy weapons, and if they strike a critical electrical area of the ship, it could cause power feedback enough to cause control panels to overload. Photon torpedoes also, whilst not being directed energy weapons, do release energy even in the course of their explosions, and the same result could be had.

Think of ion cannons in Star Wars. An ion cannon is a directed energy weapon designed specifically to short out or disable a ship's electrical and electronic systems....but it also does it in a fairly non-destructive manner...which makes it a good thing if one ship captain wishes to capture another ship intact. We saw an example of this in The Empire Strikes Back, when the Echo Base ground based anti-capital ship ion cannon disabled an Imperial Star Destroyer. Yes, we saw arcing all over the ship's exterior, but I think that was just a visual cue to clue the viewer in on the notion that its engines were shutting down, and its internal lighting was going out.

Phasers, whilst having variable settings, don't really seem to possess that characteristic. It does physical damage, as well as energy disruption....but, again, that energy discharge from phaser impact could be enough to cause control panels to overload and explode violently.

Last edited by martok2112 : 06-11-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

About when it all started, exploding or at least sparky consoles have been with Trek since the first days. But I think it the effects became more forceful with TWOK (the most extreme I remember is people flying around on the bridge in GEN but then again this is the only time we saw an Enterprise being destroyed in battle so you wanna see some serious damage on the bridge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Well, even though it might seem nonsensical to have exploding or shorting out control consoles, it does make for a visually impacting effect in terms of just what directed energy fire might do to a starship's interior. I've always looked at it as this:

Phasers/disruptors are directed energy weapons, and if they strike a critical electrical area of the ship, it could cause power feedback enough to cause control panels to overload. Photon torpedoes also, whilst not being directed energy weapons, do release energy even in the course of their explosions, and the same result could be had.

Think of ion cannons in Star Wars. An ion cannon is a directed energy weapon designed specifically to short out or disable a ship's electrical and electronic systems....but it also does it in a fairly non-destructive manner...which makes it a good thing if one ship captain wishes to capture another ship intact. We saw an example of this in The Empire Strikes Back, when the Echo Base ground based anti-capital ship ion cannon disabled an Imperial Star Destroyer. Yes, we saw arcing all over the ship's exterior, but I think that was just a visual cue to clue the viewer in on the notion that its engines were shutting down, and its internal lighting was going out.

Phasers, whilst having variable settings, don't really seem to possess that characteristic. It does physical damage, as well as energy disruption....but, again, that energy discharge from phaser impact could be enough to cause control panels to overload and explode violently.
I think the in-universe technobabble explanation is that electroplasma is directly powering the consoles (and everything else on the ship) so you have on large energy distribution network which translates a disruption one one end of the ship to the other.
But as you pointed out it could even happen if all this were more realistic, if the warp core did not emit a magical substance which powers everything but was also partly an electrical generator which powers the consoles (and other stuff).

I really start to think that exploding consoles are basically fine. You sometimes want to show that the bridge crew is also in danger and not just the ordinary folks "down there". At least that's how I read the familiar scenes in TWOK, there are people who directly suffer in the attack area but there is also a little reminder for Kirk that he is not immortal.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Watched the Undiscovered Country yesterday… Spock did the old routine of pulling up a floor panel that was smoking… The movie certainly has some fine moments… some which reminded me of STID.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Given that they are all ladies their options are kind of limited.
Not a bad thought....

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!