The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Games/Toys > Games/Toys > Belated...My review of Star Trek The Video Game (PS3)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Belated...My review of Star Trek The Video Game (PS3)

STAR TREK (PS3 version): Graphically sometimes falls between current and last gen consoles. Set pieces look nice, especially the Enterprise interiors. All of the main Enterprise crew from the first film are on hand to lend their voices and likenesses to the characters... so Chris Pine as Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Zoe Saldana as Uhura, Karl Urban as McCoy, Anton Yelchin as Chekov, John Cho as Sulu, and Simon Pegg as Scotty. Gameplay: It's largely a third person shooter adventure game, which allows you in a solo mission to control either Kirk or Spock. Two players can play cooperatively, with one player controlling Kirk and another controlling Spock. Fanboys might have a rough time deciding who will be whom. Control in movement and combat is alright. Upgrades are available for your main phaser weapon, which has kill and stun settings...and the game highly encourages non-lethal approaches in the finest Starfleet tradition. If you choose to upgrade the stun setting to where one shot will take down most of the lesser enemies, it makes the game a lot easier, although it generates massive heat on your phaser, which will require it to cool down. (Thankfully, there is also a "faster cooldown" upgrade available.) You will discover other weapons as well, from weapons with rapid fire effects, sniper rifle effects, even shotgun styled effects. Some hacking is done through your tricorder in the form of minigames. Because this game didn't come with a manual (either that, or simply my copy did not come with one), it took me a moment or two to figure out just how some of these minigames worked. That's one of my big irks with this game. There's a little bit of exploration of the environment, which gives you plenty of chances to rack up XP by scanning various objects in the surroundings. Oh, and by the way, you use your XP to upgrade not only your phaser, but the functionality of your tricorder. Each device has three or four groups, with three functions each, but you can only use one function per group. The humor in the game is very much in tune with the Abrams' Trek style. Also, there is minimal lens flare in this game...in fact, about the only time you really see lens flare is if you pause the game. Overall, this is not a bad title. I've played far better, but I've also played far worse. I'm enjoying it...if anything, it feels like an in-between movie for the first Star Trek, and the upcoming Star Trek Into Darkness. This game also offers some interesting takes on certain Enterprise functions and interiors, such as one chase through a turboshaft. Very interesting to see just how the turbolifts zip through the shafts as you chase a Gorn through them. (The Gorn are your primary enemy in this game, by the way.)

In some ways, this game has the feel of the Batman Arkham games. Your tricorder is essentially the same as Batman's "detective mode", and you can sometimes choose multiple paths to solve a scenario. This game is a lot more linear though, whereas the Arkham Asylum/City games are much more open world.

Final analysis of Star Trek (PS3).

I'd like to revise my earlier statement about the graphics. Yes, there is the occasional glitch, but the graphics are definitely better than last-gen. All the characters look like their big screen counterparts, and the set pieces are pretty nice, especially the bridge of the Enterprise.
Control....during certain minigames where you have to guide a tracing line from one point to another, control can be quite frustrating. Sometimes if you accidentally hit the analog stick too hard to try and time your turns just right, your tracer line will go in another direction, and you end up zapping yourself.

Kirk's standard phaser: When you upgrade to the one-hit stun, it is your best friend in the game (Spock notwithstanding). You can take out 95 percent of your enemies with the one hit stun. Only downside is sometimes the aim can be a bit tricky (recoil, from a phaser? come on!), and such a stun shot overheats your phaser, and requires it to cool down for a few seconds. Still, using the one-hit stun is a great way to thin out enemy forces, and you get non-lethal achievements/trophies.

It is also nice that the game will allow you to replay chapters with your current upgrades...so you can play through the entire game again with your upgrades, as long as you don't select "New Game".

The ending of this game....too abrupt...then roll the credits...and then one more brief scene with the Enterprise soaring past the screen, with Kirk's final log for the game. So, not exactly satisfying.

Overall...decent game. Good graphics, good humor and banter, decent action, occasionally questionable control. I've played better Star Trek games (Bridge Commander, Elite Force II), but I've also played worse (Elite Force on PS2).

Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Rear Admiral

What a let down! I got this game full price in anticipation to enjoying it a great deal but to be honest...it's just a poor third person shooter game that has nothing to do with Star Trek. Heck, it even makes the alternate universe of Star Trek look bad. I was highly disappointed in the game and plan on returning it to GameStop asap. I hate to say this, but I really dislike this game. So much for the four-year wait.

With all due respect, I find Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force to be 100x more superior than this letdown.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the game didn't review well in Game Informer either.
I personally am not that unforgiving about it, it's still a decent game to me, but...I'd still love to see a true, open world Star Trek adventure game along the free form lines of Oblivion/Skyrim or Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas

Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Rear Admiral

I think I'm going to sell it this week. Bidding...half a penny. :P

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable