The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > They FINALLY got Circuit Breakers on the Bridge!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Lieutenant

Default They FINALLY got Circuit Breakers on the Bridge!

Something I noticed during the attack on the Enterprise: That ship was getting pummeled to high heaven, yet the bridge pretty much remained pristine the entire time! There wasn't any explosions or nothing, which to me seemed like it was about time. It was actually refreshing to see no sparks and bodies flying.

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

If I recall, it was pretty much the same way when the Narada attacked the Big E in ST 2009 as well.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
If I recall, it was pretty much the same way when the Narada attacked the Big E in ST 2009 as well.
True, but I mean, compared to the Vengeance attack, the Narada attack was really short. In the other movies and episodes of Trek, whenever a ship was THAT badly damaged, you'd see the Bridge in pieces, flames and sparks flying all over the place and a few dead bodies. In this case, the designers of THIS Enterprise went above and beyond to make sure that the Bridge would remain operational and pristine during such severe attacks. Is this their way of saying "Yeah the Enterprise can take a beating!"

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
True, but I mean, compared to the Vengeance attack, the Narada attack was really short. In the other movies and episodes of Trek, whenever a ship was THAT badly damaged, you'd see the Bridge in pieces, flames and sparks flying all over the place and a few dead bodies. In this case, the designers of THIS Enterprise went above and beyond to make sure that the Bridge would remain operational and pristine during such severe attacks. Is this their way of saying "Yeah the Enterprise can take a beating!"
I'd like to think so.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
Something I noticed during the attack on the Enterprise: That ship was getting pummeled to high heaven, yet the bridge pretty much remained pristine the entire time! There wasn't any explosions or nothing, which to me seemed like it was about time. It was actually refreshing to see no sparks and bodies flying.
I am not so certain. One the one hand exploding consoles are ridiculous from a technical point of view and a cheap trick to endanger the bridge crew.
On the other hand Trek is not hard sci-fi, otherwise the bridge would not be exposed on deck 1 but deep in the innards of the ship, and it might be dramatically infeasible to show danger or damage, e.g. because your story focuses on the main characters who are nearly all on the bridge. Redshirt deaths or anonymous death reports, even if they are accompanied by showing the attack like in the Borg cutting a piece of the Enterprise out in "Q Who ?", have less of an emotional impact upon the audience than people on fire or flying around.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I am not so certain. One the one hand exploding consoles are ridiculous from a technical point of view and a cheap trick to endanger the bridge crew.
On the other hand Trek is not hard sci-fi, otherwise the bridge would not be exposed on deck 1 but deep in the innards of the ship, and it might be dramatically infeasible to show danger or damage, e.g. because your story focuses on the main characters who are nearly all on the bridge. Redshirt deaths or anonymous death reports, even if they are accompanied by showing the attack like in the Borg cutting a piece of the Enterprise out in "Q Who ?", have less of an emotional impact upon the audience than people on fire or flying around.
Which lends itself to my philosophy: "Logic and physics will always yield to the needs of dramatic storytelling."

Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Federation Councillor

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Which lends itself to my philosophy: "Logic and physics will always yield to the needs of dramatic storytelling."
That's pretty much the family motto!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That's pretty much the family motto!

"Motto? What's a motto?"
"I don't know. What's a motto with you?"

Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think that one reason the exploding consoles rountine might have stopped in ST09 (OK, now the viewscreen window breaks and you have to fear to be sucked in space so life isn't really more comfy for the senior officers) is the brain vs. guts approach to designing the ship as opposed to the previous design notion that Starfleet ships are fairly homogenous.
In NuTrek you can tell whether you are in the primary or secondary section, in all other Trek incarnations you cannot.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Starfleet ships are fairly homogenous.
Hell, and here I thought StarFleet ships were straight.

<-----runs....hides....