The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Into Darkness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Well that seal is just too damned cute to say no to. Unless you're a hunter I guess.................

Anyway, I'm actually gonna get a chance to revisit ENT from the start. The channel which rebroadcast S4 is starting with S1 tonight. They don't have the best record of keeping TV shows on for any length of time before randomly dropping them for a different show, however looks like based on the TV guide they'll be showing an episode a night starting with the first half of 'Broken Bow' today and for the next couple weeks, so that's at least the first half of the season.

I'm actually quite interested in seeing it again. To quote.....'It's been a long time...............'

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yes, that seal is undeniably cute. It is such a shame that hunters will go after these little creatures just for their skins/furs. Seeing video of what the hunters do to them was enough to make me want to leap through the screen and inflict similar fates upon them...albeit a bit slower so they know those baby seals' sufferings.

(On a perverse side note, I used to play the video game "SOCOM: US NAVY SEALS--PS2-- online, and if I was on the terrorist side of the game, I would sometimes say: "Alright, let's go club some SEALS." )

Aye, I'm seriously considering getting Enterprise on Blu-Ray, especially if it gets the same restoration treatment that TNG got, even though it would seem that Enterprise was intentionally shot for hi-def, since its aspect ratio was 16x9 ...or more technically, 1.78:1. .

I bought "The Best of Both Worlds I and II" on Blu-Ray...edited together as a singular feature...and OMG the picture quality is stunning.

Off topic, another blu-ray that received a stunning transfer was the theatrical release of the pilot of the original 1978 "Battlestar Galactica". It looks simply beautiful.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek is many things to many different people. We all take from it what speaks to us.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Federation Councillor

That 'Best of Both Worlds' Blu Ray was released in the UK as well. I was resisting (pun intended) buying it because I'll end up getting S3/4 anyway.

ENT I would imagine should look fine without too much work since it was shot suitably to begin with but I don't know if they did anything special for the Blu Ray.

I didn't know that the original Battlestar Galactica movie had been released on Blu Ray though. I'd be curious to see that as well.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Star Trek is many things to many different people. We all take from it what speaks to us.
Quoted for TRUTH and Bi-La Kaifa!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

I didn't know that the original Battlestar Galactica movie had been released on Blu Ray though. I'd be curious to see that as well.
Aye...it was a test release, exclusive to Best Buy at first, but now it's going widespread. Yes, the picture quality is night and day compared to the original copies. Details stand out like you wouldn't believe, and I'd noticed things I'd never seen before.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Nemesis was the kill switch on the film franchise that was, no doubt at all. ENT's culpability on the series front is more heavily debated for sure but I don't think it's as good as it's more ardent supporters believe it is. But Trek is, I think, still trying to find out where it fits in now after that phase of the franchise consumed itself. Abrams & Co may not be the long term answer, but for now they're giving it a go.
The problem of the franchise fatigue argument is that you can apply it to VOY, NEM and ENT as well as NuTrek. There is a difference though, since the middle / end of the nineties Trek became stylistically too monotonic while still telling new stories. NuTrek is just the other way around, here we get rehashed stories but in a totally new style (compared to the slightly B-movie-ish quality of earlier Trek movie I think it is safe to say that this is the first time Trek looks like proper cinema).
I care more about content than style which is why I did not mind ample of Trek season looking and feeling similar but why I mind RemakeTrek.

Quote:
Their work to this point is in my opinion certainly no dumber (or necessarily smarter) than countless examples of previous Star Trek that I could list (in film and in TV) but whether the franchise is overall picking itself up again is, I think, still a question mark to be answered over a bit more time yet.
For real? NEM might beat NuTrek in terms of dumbness and TFF in terms of silliness (I don't dislike the TOSish goofiness in TFF and NuTrek though) but movie-wise that's about it.

The question is not how intelligent the foreground story is but whether the background of Trek, the atmosphere, the texture and so on is similar to what we are used to from Trek and I think that there are some subtle and hitherto unseen changes for the worse.
The question is not whether the scripts are smart but whether they are good. The best Trek stories are not particularly fancy or smart but often very simple and moving. Take City or Darmok, anybody could describe in a few words what these two stories are about. But they do at least feature one idea, they are clearly written and they are neither not up with fanwank.
As one of my favourite moviemakers said: "A truly good movie is interesting and easy to understand. There’s nothing complicated about it." I don't think that the the mystery style of Abrams and the script of O&K which has seemingly confused plenty of people enough that they say that they have to rewatch the movie in order to fully understand it match Kurosawas's criterion of a good movie.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:54 AM
Federation Councillor

I think there are some points there that are fair.

The nuts and bolts aspect of the plot are indeed open to questions about the relative sense of the plans of those involved. That's a nuts and bolts plotting issue and yes, I absolutely believe in this respect it's no dumber than the nuts and bolts of other Star Trek episodes and films (First Contact may be a great movie to experience but do not ask me to buy that there's any real sense in why the Borg go back in time - at least, why not just go back in time to 'Best of Both Worlds' and NOT kidnap Picard. That was their only real mistake the first time around) or TWOK or parts of even TUC.

Water tight plots and entirely logical decisions are not a Star Trek hallmark. If some people wanna believe otherwise fine, but I'm not. Not even a little bit.

You're real concern is over the thematic and environmental ambience of Abrams Trek. Not the plotting. It couldn't be because too many plots are dumb as a box of hay. But that's where fans differ. You think the underlying conditions are 'worse'. I don't. Not based on my experience of Star Trek and reconciling with Abrams. However that argument has been done to death over time so I don't quite know why you still seem surprised other people don't come to your conclusions.

Now, I'm not one to argue with a director of Kurosawa's talents but there is actually more to a good movie than just being able to easily follow it. By such logic, Insurrection would be a better movie than it actually is. Making it too complicated harms a film, but making it too simple can do the same.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 06-03-2013 at 06:02 AM. Reason: I think my laptop is not working with this site anymore.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yep, INS is a straightforward morality tale like plenty of TNG episodes (some TNG fans seems to disavow that INS was the most TNG-ish movie) which is indeed no better than what I b*tched about, Abrams' mystery style. Personally I like these simple Trek morality stories and I will gladly watch an average or even bad horror or mystery movie (yes, even Cloverfield) but objectively speaking this stuff is bad. We all know that theatre became good with Shakespeare, when medieval morality and mystery plays became extinct.
Darmok or The Inner Light are simply better than dry-ish courtroom drama like Measure of a Man or The Drumhead. The former can be watched several times whereas the latter fall apart as drama after you got the point about civil liberties.

I think the point is not complexity but lucidity. Kurosawa flicks are simple to understand because they are lucid, not because they lack complexity. And I think Trek has always been fairly lucid as well. Now if we talked e.g. about Lynch or a sci-fi film noir like Bladerunner clarity would be a liability.
But Trek is not cyberpunk or surrealistic cinema. The lack of clarity in the last three movies, be it about villain motivations in NEM and ST09 or basic story issues like in STID (I could be wrong but the questions raised by many folks in here do not seem to have anything to do with stupid plot hole buggery; there is a difference between not understanding basic elements in a story and intentionally deconstructing what you call the nuts and bolts), is caused by bad writing. I gotta repeat Sam's point here, don't give fans a pen. Yeah, I know that fans have contributed some great scripts for the TV series but if they write movies it always seems to degrade into a fanwank festival.

Talking about fanwank, while I coined the term Tattoomulan I loved the two cut-out scenes with the Klingons, the brutal guards and a cunning intelligence agent, in ST09. Were the Klingons also this awesome in STID?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Talking about fanwank, while I coined the term Tattoomulan I loved the two cut-out scenes with the Klingons, the brutal guards and a cunning intelligence agent, in ST09. Were the Klingons also this awesome in STID?
I didn't think they were. They weren't bad, but I felt that the one we saw in full prosthetic did not visually match the level of awesome they'd gone for in the previous film, and all he did was deliver a line in Klingon and reach uncertainly for a knife. The others just stood around, getting killed. Same costumes though.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)