The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > My thoughts on STID (Beware Spoilers)…
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Default My thoughts on STID (Beware Spoilers)…

Okay, while I thoroughly enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness I have to say it was nothing more than (to coin a new saying) “Popcorn Trek”.

The whole Harrison is Khan thing felt flat and contrived and Cumberbatch’s performance nowhere near the intensity and vibrancy of the late great Ricardo Montalban’s in the Wrath of Khan. In fact, one wonders why they needed the villain to be Khan at all, it just wasn’t necessary if the story had been thought out more. That said, I think Benicio Del Toro would have been the better Khan. Cumberbatch was totally off the mark. Bad call casting him in my book. If they had to go the Khan route then they should have stuck to the original characters description and background totally.
Personally, I would have like to have seen Khan and his cohorts escape from a Section 31 detention center… take over the Vengance and wreak havoc upon Starfleet with the new photon torpedoes… before disappearing into Klingon space…with the Enterprise in pursuit!

On the subject of the Klingons… I’ve gotta say I really disliked the new look… they are less fearsome looking in my opinion.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!

Last edited by omegaman : 05-26-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

I have to say, I think the best looking iteration of the Klingons is from Star Trek The Motion Picture (which also, incidentally, also has the best looking photon torpedo effect )....although it was nice how in later movies and shows, they showed more diversity in their skull ridges.

While I like that they made these Klingons look truly more alien, they do remind me, just a wee bit, of Jeriba Shigan, the Drac from Enemy Mine, at least in the face. What I didn't dig were those patrol ships, which, I'm going to guess, are Birds of Prey....they were given a D-4 designation in the movie, but they behaved like BoP's.

Something I would have liked to see in STID was a further show of the Klingon battlecrui---er---ahem---Warbirds as shown in ST 2009. For the brief glimpses we got of them, I thought they looked pretty cool.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I have to say, I think the best looking iteration of the Klingons is from Star Trek The Motion Picture (which also, incidentally, also has the best looking photon torpedo effect )....although it was nice how in later movies and shows, they showed more diversity in their skull ridges.

While I like that they made these Klingons look truly more alien, they do remind me, just a wee bit, of Jeriba Shigan, the Drac from Enemy Mine, at least in the face. What I didn't dig were those patrol ships, which, I'm going to guess, are Birds of Prey....they were given a D-4 designation in the movie, but they behaved like BoP's.

Something I would have liked to see in STID was a further show of the Klingon battlecrui---er---ahem---Warbirds as shown in ST 2009. For the brief glimpses we got of them, I thought they looked pretty cool.
Yeah, I wasn't keen on the Klingon ships either. Liked the Klingons being dropped by cable though.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!