The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Into Darkness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
The Braver, Better Movie That Star Trek Into Darkness Could Have Been A great review of where STID works and where it fails. It's like this women mind melded with me and put pretty much exactly how I feel about this film in to words.
Thanks for the link. Isn't one lesson of this and the previous movie that less is more? If there was less mish-mash, rehashed plot stuffed into STID it could have focused more on what you claim (and what doesn't surprise me as it was already like this in ST09) is its strength, the characters.
The classic characters are the key of every great TOS episode (e.g. City on the Edge of Forever or Amok Time), the classic characters main reason to do TOS again in the first place, the classic characters are what made even horrible TOS movies like TFF endurable.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Went and saw it a second time, this time knowing what to expect, and with my perceptions from before fully in place... and ya' know what?

I had a heluva time! This is really a fun movie, and a good emotional rollercoaster. Yep, Star Trek is back baby....naysayers beware!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Went and saw it a second time, this time knowing what to expect, and with my perceptions from before fully in place... and ya' know what?

I had a heluva time! This is really a fun movie, and a good emotional rollercoaster. Yep, Star Trek is back baby....naysayers beware!
Yep, I have had that happen to me with films as well. In fact that kinda happenes with me and the 2009 film as well.

Actually, because I had found out about most of the major spoilers before I caught it the first time I felt that let me watch 'STID' from the persepctive more of watching what they had done with the elements rather than have the experience blocked out by being preoccupied with the spoilers as they happened.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Howdy, friend Kevin.

Yeah, I actually did my best to avoid spoilers (although I did end up getting the identity of the main bad guy spoiled when I looked at imdb just shortly before seeing the movie), so that might've been why I was, at first, a little taken aback by some of the territory the movie (re)visited, but going in with those notions a second time really helped me to enjoy it even more.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 AM
Lieutenant

I don't think the Klingons were wearing Romulan boots
Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

OMG the forum is back!

My little review...

Morals are back. Parallels to current controversial events are back. This film has an ethical message, and is therefore very much classic Trek!
But… Klingons appear for a mere minute or so. Space battles are over after just a few seconds. The FSNP is done with only 3 instead of 5 fingers.
Seriously, it’s a good movie with a classic Trek theme. I still kinda like TVH and FC better. Into Darkness is certainly better than the last one, though.
Yes, the hommage scene was weird, and the cameo a joke (how does this information help?!). A british guy ruling over India also feels wrong, historically speaking. And why have a cybernetic crewman if he only gets a second of screen time and two lines? Why let the Vengeance sound like a propeller plane? Why does 31 now have crazy blue-gray suits? Despite these disappointments, it is a very pleasing experience to see Section 31 on the big screen, or to spot that little XCV 330 model and even a little Gemini capsule and an A4 rocket. The ‘Kelvin Memorial Archive’ was a nice subtle reference to the last film. The torpedoes (thank you for changing pink to red) could have been inspired by the TNG tech manual.
And for the magic-haters: It was not magic. He wasn’t dead, only fatally injured. The enhanced thrombocytes healed his body, while his brain function was preserved in cryostatis. So there was no supernatural revival and we won’t have Jesus Tsombie Kirk in the next one ;D
Watch it if you’re a fan of classic Trek morality tales, if you like references to previous Trek, or if you enjoy little things like a cable car in 2259 San Francisco. Avoid it if you’re only interested in epic space battles. I guess it’s a film more suited for politically interested adults than people who expect mindless phaser fights. Which is a good thing!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Although the USS Vengeance did all the firing, it was interesting to note that not a single member of the Enterprise deliberately killed anyone. (Even Scotty's "victim" was not intentional.) Hell, the Enterprise in ST:TMP displayed more firepower than the Enterprise in Into Darkness.

I didn't mind that there wasn't a massive space battle. I thought it was a nice twisting of expectations. The Enterprise got the living dog droppings kicked out of it, and it still prevailed in actions worthy of James T. Kirk.

The revisiting of old material, where once I felt it quite unnecessary, is actually quite entertaining the second time around.

This movie held up to the ideals of Star Trek quite well. Kirk did the right thing, instead of going with his initial response of just wanting to get payback. He listened to his crew and conscience...to Spock, Uhura, Scotty (who had an amusing turn of events).

StarFleet was exemplified through Kirk and Co.'s actions.

Sulu got to shine in the Captain's Chair. Chekov got transferred in departments, but at least he still held the ship together.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
This film has an ethical message, and is therefore very much classic Trek!
Really? What is the message? Terrorism is bad? If you ask me there is no clear theme or message in this film. Everything they do is pretty reactionary. Sure Kirk decides that Khan should stand trial instead of just be blown up but is that really that big a moral delema? I'm mean that is justice vs. revenge. When I think about the film any sort of message or meaning comes mostly from the references to the old Trek and it is because I know that material that I insert that meaning. With out that prior knowledge this film is pretty much a bunch of events very loosely strung together to try and create some sort of coherent plot. When you actually start breaking down the plot, it is pretty rediculious.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
Really? What is the message? Terrorism is bad? If you ask me there is no clear theme or message in this film.
"There will always be those who mean to do us harm. To stop them, we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves. Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. But that’s not who we are..." - Kirk

Not that terrorism is bad, but THE RESPONSE to it can be bad! Invasion of Afghanistan, preemptive strike against Iraq, ordered killing of Bin Laden, use of drones to kill without a trial, increased militarization due to fear,...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

That's just an over-conscious line like Pike's "the Federation is peace-keeping armada" which is meant to compensate for / excuse the reactionary crap that follows.
Why does all this vague post 9/11 stuff do have to appear in two subsequent Trek movies anyway? Ever since Cloverfield JJA has used it and not in an enlightened way but simply to exploit people's fears (admittedly in Trek not as bluntly as in Cloverfield).
I don't mind it if moviemakers wanna say something about this stuff but only if they read their Brzezinski first, terror is a tactic. But if they roll along with the neoconservative perpetual-war fantasy, terror as an enemy, like JJA et al do? Nah.