The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Creating my own lens flare effect in iClone
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2012, 05:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Creating my own lens flare effect in iClone

Howdy folks,

I (and a few others) have been asking iClone for quite a while to make lens flare effects for the app that are similar to what many of us saw in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (and even many sci-fi movies before that one gave them their notoriety). Now, iClone does have "flare" effects, but they are spectral crosses and the like. They don't have the "circles" emanating from the source of the light fading in and out with the passing of the light source.

So, I took it upon myself to try and see what I could do to demonstrate to iClone users the lens flare effect that many of us seek.

Now, here's the deal:

The only in-camera effect is the HDR lighting effect. That is what is giving the sun in this shot its "spectral cross" effect. The circles that you see emanating from the sun as it tracks across the sky are actually .PNG images imprinted onto 3D Surface Planes. Each plane is attached to the next, with the plane closest to the camera being the "look" point for the prop. Yeah, this lens flare is a physical prop, not an in-camera effect. I set the look point to the Y axis to look at the sun as it tracks across the starfield. Then I keyframed the opacities for each of the flare planes, trying to emulate the way they might appear in a sci-fi lens flare effects shot. I tried seeing if I could make a pop video effect out of this, but to no avail. So, it will remain a physical prop to be implemented in my sci-fi projects. All the flare circles were made by me in PhotoShop, and saved as .PNG files.

Anyhoo, here's my "lens flare" attempt. I hope you find it a fairly convincing effort. And I hope that Reallusion will take a look at this and say: "Ok...let make it a renderable in-camera effect to go along with the current lens flare effects." (R ya watching, Reallusion? )

http://youtu.be/nkxQnm_pl_Q