The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Teaser 2 description
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Teaser 2 description

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/08/long...t-the-details/

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Interesting…

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

To say the least...
Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Commander

"As reported first by TrekMovie..."

What the hell is with these people?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Federation Councillor

Bragging rights?

Anyway, interesting about the reveal of more about 'that' final shot in the Japanese version. Like I said elsewhere, Abrams knows just how to tease during marketing.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Commander

Yeah. It pretty much shoots down most of what (I thought) I had to say after viewing the international trailer Thursday morning.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, I had been wondering what happened there after you had said you were going to have to come back after your shift.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Commander

I was basically going to comb through everything we've heard (recently; I can hardly remember it all), make a case for Eve's Sally Kellerman likeness, as well as Kirk having a 'score to settle' with Cumberbatch.

The synopsis refers to Kirk's Cumberbatch manhunt as a 'game of chess' (battle of wits, what have you)... which incidentally, Mitchell (not Spock) was Kirk's chess partner in the rebooted comic WNMHGB adaptation (and supposedly he always beat Kirk).

I also thought Cumberbatch's line about family wouldn't ring true with Khan (as the trailer had initially opened up new speculation about him), because Montalban's Khan never demonstrates that he even considers Kirk human enough ('superior' enough) to be capable of being hurt by the loss of loved ones the way he himself is injured by losing McGivers. The irony being that he dies believing he's gotten his revenge; he actually gets it but in a way he would never be able to appreciate.

Finally (unrelated), the whole "You think you're safe" (along with the synopsis mentioning the fleet "and all that it stands for") seems to suggest we're headed firmly back into Star Trek 101 territory, which for a new regime I think is a good thing. ST's idyllic 23rd century is threatened by a madman. What does that mean? What is ST? For most people who don't regularly follow the series, it's the characters. So we've gotten the character re-introduction out of the way. So once again, what is ST? I expect between Kirk getting his comeuppance and Earth not being safe, we'll got those answers for this generation.

Last edited by samwiseb : 12-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Federation Councillor

I admit in one way I would have liked to have a story where the crew were out in space exploring when they came across something that would have begun the plot.

However, I guess I'm in part a sucker for stories that suggest the past is about have consequences in the now. Which I feel this may be in some way. I still have no idea in my head about who Cumberbatch is playing really (which is getting to be a cool head**** by them some days and 'just tell us' on others) but I liked the words he spoke in the teaser. Or maybe it was his delivery of them...........but then while I thought we had done a 180 back to Khan I agree the line he has about asking what (whomever he is speaking to) would the person do for their family doesn't fit Khan as he was.

But if you go with the above link and then take into account the supposed line that Kirk has courage but no humility (or is that just how Orci and Kurtzman were feeling after being bruised by some last time) and that will get him and his crew killed suggests to me that someone might not make it to the end of this one (and I'm already suspecting Pike will be killed off, maybe wrongly). Which is kind of TWOK-ish. Although I still think now that Eve is Rand.

But if it's a question of the villain coming back from somewhere to get vengeance on those who did something to him............it still feels Khan like.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Commander

Well if it were Khan, where would he be returning from? From exile into space? That could work. Maybe this movie is what would have happened if 'Space Seed' had not.

If it was Mitchell, I suppose he returns from whatever abyss he went to after either Kirk or Spock (can't remember who, although this time Dehner wasn't even there) phasered him in WNMHGB. Although on further reflection, why would he be waiving a gun around if he's got telekinesis? Also his eyes look pretty normal to me.

I too would like a regular space exploration story. I think the broader epic 'movie' format requires that something would already be happening though (ie, it wouldn't be an exterior shot, cue fanfare, begin reading Captain's Log).