The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Tom Cruise heads for Oblivion!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Commander

I would need to see the trailer again, tomorrow apparently. I think it was mostly the stunt maneuvering that bothered me, I didn't really note how polished Cruise' vehicle was.

I agree with the overall trend of things becoming smaller and sleeker, however there will also be various factors in play. Is the future more or less corporate? How likely is the consumer able to afford his barest essentials, let alone his luxuries? If most of the population is wiped out, how important is it that things remain sleek? Will governments still be letting the corporations run everything even though there are few consumers left? You would hope not.

Blade Runner and A L I E N look clucky to me even by 1982, 1979 standards. But they also appear to be set in worlds so heavily corporate that competition is no longer a factor. Which is the dangerous polar opposite of Big Brother; the market no longer needs to self-regulate because the consumer is expendable. He doesn't need to afford his groceries. He doesn't need to eat. He doesn't need a checking account that doesn't goggle itself up in a month's time through excessive fees. And if he can afford car, he doesn't care if it's no sleeker than the same model of last year.

Definitely looking forward to Elysium btw.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Sorry I thought you meant how the production design looked on those white cities.

On Blade Runner and A L I E N, I think I would call the former clunky looking and the latter...........well I guess that's less clunky and more just utilitarian or functional feeling. The Nostromo is just sort of an older less high tech ship in it's universe whereas the later Aliens just goes for that metallic military/industrial look that Cameron likes.

But then I think you could parallell the clunky look of the former to Looper as well. Although it's not a sci-fi tech film you have that background of not corporate takeover, but economic collapse and so no-one has any money (unless they have certain types of jobs) so you had those very clunky electric cars that had no sleekness in them and were just old cars with bits stuck on the side. Probably because you could argue no one had money to do it any other way than on the cheap.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Commander

I would need to see the trailer again to say whatever I thought I meant. I'm already not seeing those white cities in my head.

My passing impression upon viewing the trailer was that things in these futuristic movies seem shinier and faster-moving than I would like to see. I think this when I look at Minority Report, or trailers for the Total Recall remake. And then I wonder if that's just what today's sci-fi looks like. When Tom Cruises' vehicle spins around those canyons, all I can think is that he's supposed to be inside operating the thing at such speeds.

Cynics are quick to pronounce that movies in general keep getting faster and dumber. I would like them to be wrong. I'd like there to be no reason why a film like Blade Runner couldn't be made today.

I think Looper and Dredd were nice exceptions to the rule. They also seem like smaller, less commercial films. But this all comes back to my needing to see the Oblivion trailer again.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Looks pretty good. Plot is a smattering of different films – all the way back to Logan's Run.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Federation Councillor

Trailer is back up, but it's a slightly different one than before. This is the US version.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Commander

Video never stabilized, I was looking at a slideshow the whole way through. Will try again at work. Definitely could hear Tom Cruise zipping around in his hovercar though.

The Black Hole... I'm not sure many people found it more redeemable than TRON. Some even less. It was the more 'analogue' of Disney's two space opera efforts. Beautiful production design, save for the Disney factor. Terrific musical score by John Barry, ditto.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Hmmmn, you are focusing on that little craft aint ya?

I found out the word I wanted to call it though - it looks to me like a futuristic Gryocopter more than a car type thing. But anyway, whatever it is he seems to zip around in it a lot!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Commander

Kind of hard not to focus on it then, no? Especially when your video is stuttering but you hear the audio of that thing zipping about just fine. In a couple hours I'll be able to watch the trailer in full again. Assuming they don't take it down.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Federation Councillor

It should be OK this time, yesterday was apparently because it was released when it shouldn't have been.

It took me a couple of tries to watch it fully, I assumed buffering issues but then it played fine.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Commander

I assumed it was HD. My computer's ten years old and probably wouldn't have a card for that.