The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Tom Cruise heads for Oblivion!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Default Tom Cruise heads for Oblivion!

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/oblivio...ng-tom-cruise/

Springtime sci-fi from Cruise and Tron: Legacy helmer Joseph Kosinski. Some bits reminded me of elements of 'The Cloud Minders' although this will probably have a very different underlying story.

But looks like it could be worth catching.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Commander

Dude. Was it from you that I first heard about Battle Los Angeles? I believe maybe it was.

It also seems to me you were fairly indifferent to TRON. But I don't recall your final opinion on Legacy. And you've never struck me as the Tom Cruise type of fan...

Sounds like 'worth catching' is probably an appropriate description from what we have on this. I never did see the Total Recall remake.

I want to know why sci-fi pictures can't return to having 'slower' and clunkier hardware a la Blade Runner. Somehow I just can't quite picture zipping around like a fruitfly on a podracer (or whatever that testicle/penis shaped thing was) in a post-apocalyptic setting.

EDIT: As an afterthought, I want to know when this guy gets around to filming The Black Hole remake. Because I'm a sucker.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't remember either. I might have done. But I hated that film with genuine passion.

I like Cruise I have to say. I didn't until the 90's and not every single film he makes but I never went along with that whole dumping him after Oprah. I like a few of his films.

I was not a big fan of Tron. I watched it once on rental and that was enough for me.

I thought the gizmo looked like a futuristic version of one of those mini helicopter things that look like insects. I guess I didn't really see penis.............um..............anyway onto The Black Hole. I know he was meant to be doing it but I've never seen the original one in full so I wouldn't know whether or not to be excited about that prospect or not.

Did you see 'Looper'? It was sci-fi but not podrace type stuff.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Commander

Actually, I just saw Looper a couple weeks ago (sometimes budget theaters are the way to go). And the lack of 'sci-fi' -type special effects was indeed a refreshing aspect of it (especially with time travel, in which films frequently overindulge in effects to physically portray the occurrence of time paradoxes, the consequences of which should be beyond the visual/tactile range of perception). I was turned off by some of the mafia culture stuff though (cigarettes, recreational drug use, bodies being blown apart). Overall a film that I really liked, yet probably wouldn't choose to own.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Federation Councillor

'Looper' reminded me of a kind of fusion of 'The Terminator' and 'Twelve Monkeys' in a weird way.

I wasn't really engaged with the film completely until the film got to the farm, but in retrospect and in discussing the film with others I think aspects of it were good in that first twenty minutes as well. I read an interview with the director where he talked about how he wanted to spend a bit of time dwelling on the future society because it partly explained why Joe did what he did and also probably thematically was important to the Cid aspects of the story. But, yeah I didn't start getting into the film properly until Emily Blunt showed up. I liked it enough probably to buy but maybe once it's on sale. That kinda film if you know what I mean.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Commander

That sounds about right. And Terminator and Twelve Monkeys seems a very good analogy.

The time travel aspects seem about as solid as they probably could have been. Bruce Willis seems to have a knack for choosing ones that use the device mostly as tool for making the story and characters work. Or maybe it's just luck.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Federation Councillor

I liked that the point wasn't anything to do with 'how' time travel was possible (just like those two films and to an extent ST09 where there's no attempt to make it plausible as such) - it just exists in the world of the film and it's a device used to drive the actual story and characters. That's what TT should be as much as possible.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Federation Councillor

Trailer is briefly down until Sunday it seems.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Commander

Lucky I didn't Facebook it.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Federation Councillor

I was thinking about your comment about 'clunky' hardware but I think that is just one of those things whereby if you look at how non clunky our current technology is getting then if you try to do that and set a film in the future then that is just something that would get even sleeker.

If you think about what was viewed as futuristic looking in some of the 70's and 80's sci fi it was just so completely wide of the mark.

I think you can make a futuristic setting seem 'lived in' and give things layers of aging to it but I'm guessing in a film like 'Oblivion' that white sleekness will be a conscious (and straightforwardly obvious) way to portray the seeming difference between the people in those floating cities and those underground. Although Neil Blomenkamp's 'Elysium' is also supposed to feature perfect floating cities and a wrecked surface as well. He might give things a bit of a different look.

I do think there's a lot of upcoming tentpole sci-fi based around the idea of apocalypse but maybe that's just because visual effects can let you realise striking visual images so much easier now.

courtesy of Saquist