The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Anyone out there build and paint miniatures?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Commander

Default Anyone out there build and paint miniatures?

Just wondering if anyone here collects miniatures. It's become a bit of a niche hobby and a lot of the miniatures I grew up with such as Star Trek, micronauts, Harpoon, The Civil War, Star Blazer, etc don't exist anymore. There's a few merchants out there that produce similar ones but they almost always pale in quality compared to what I grew up with. Lately I started to dabble with Warhammer 40k and Battlefleet Gothic and very quickly got sucked into some of them. I also found myself pleasantly surprised by the quality of the paints and other supplies that Citadel produces for the Warhammer miniatures and I'm finding myself leaving behind a lot of the Testors paints which I found have declined in quality in recent years, which is really sad since Testors has been a staple for me since I first started building models as a kid. I'm probably going to start using the Citadel paints for other models that I do.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

I wanted to but never got into it.
I haven't even put together my Enteprise and Excelsior models from 12 years ago.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I wanted to but never got into it.
I haven't even put together my Enteprise and Excelsior models from 12 years ago.
Yeah I dug up the Excelsior the other day. Now that Polar Light released the motion picture Enterprise in the same scale, I actually want to build them together.

I actually have the Wrath of Khan miniature set that my dad gave to me. Back when miniatures were still cast in lead. Sadly the Enterprise that came with it has long since disappeared.

There are some, what appear to be, unoffical Star Trek ones out there but they're under a different name even though the designs are clearly Star Trek. I think some of the gaming miniatures are still produced in limited quantities but unfortunately variety is extremely limited and pretty much are TOS exclusive. Can't really find the FASA ones anymore though it was nice to see some of those designs resurrected with Bridge Commander mods. Think as a kid I saw some Star Fleet Marines as well.

Been dabbling for the past few months. Here's the most recent one I've done. Bit amateurish but it turned out overall better than I expected. Done a little bit more detailing since this picture was taken.

-Robert D. Ballard
Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I used to have the FASA Enterprise, Reliant, and Ranger class miniatures. Wanted to get a K't'inga, but could never find one. That was back when FASA still had the license to Star Trek.

HeroClix now has the rights to Star Trek and has made a HeroClix game for starships. I have a starter kit which has the refit 1701, a Nova Class (I think), a Klingon Bird of Prey, and a Klingon Vor'Cha attack cruiser. Miniatures are assembled and painted.

There is the full board game which comes with (I believe) a hundred miniatures, which includes the K't'inga.

Be warned, the miniatures seem to be made of a fairly soft rubber-plastic. The nacelles on my Enterprise are bent, and still in the box that I haven't opened yet.

I used to have quite a few Star Trek models. Ent-A, Excelsior, Ent-D, the adversary pack which had the Romulan Warbird, a Klingon Bird of Prey, and a Ferengi Marauder, one D-7 Klingon Battlecruiser, and two K't'inga Class Battlecruisers, a Vor'Cha attack cruiser...and I also had light and sound ships of the Ent-D and DS9. I also used to have a TON of both Star Trek and Star Wars micro-machines...and some of those ships I had duplicates or triplicates of.

But, now that I've gotten into the joy of 3D modeling and animation, I can make and animate almost any ship I imagine.

And, btw, Akula, if you considered your work there an amateurish job, I am anxious to see how you do when you do more advanced work. That mini looks GREAT!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Be warned, the miniatures seem to be made of a fairly soft rubber-plastic. The nacelles on my Enterprise are bent, and still in the box that I haven't opened yet.
Here's a quick fix for the bent nacelles if you ever decide to take it out of the package. Take a cup of hot tap water, about as hot as you can get it form the tap. Dip the affected section in the water for at least 10 seconds or until the plastic can be bent with ease. Straighten or bend the section as needed to correct the defect. The hot water should soften the plastic enough that it will hold the shape you want it. Then dunk it in cold water and let it sit there for however long you feel comfortable.

World of Warcraft had their miniatures of that same kind of plastic. It's durable but not necessarily cast in the proper shape. But the plastic is a pretty easy fix and is similar if not identical to the plastic used for the Star Trek and Star Wars micromachines.

I'm not a particularly big fan of the heroclix miniatures though I do like that they have them out there and they're great for the market that they're aimed at. I do have some of the Star Trek ones myself and they aren't terrible. While the plastic is soft it's still durable but that's kind of the same deal with the polystyrene plastic that most model kits are made of. You can get better detail with metal cast ones, but they tend to require more maintenance of the paint as they will chip from use on games. A sealant can be placed on them to protect the paint. Personally I use a layer of PVA glue which is cheaper. Warhammer has started coming up with their Finecast line of figures which are cast in resin. They have superb detail but are a lot more fragile than traditional plastics and cost a lot more.

Here's kind of a close up of some of the additional work I've been doing on it. Took some old decals from a tank and placed them on the streamers. Still haven't tackled the detailing on the bird she's holding.

-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 08-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Seems very nicely painted for it's size...

Old 08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Commander

Citadel's Eavy Metal team can do some phenomenal stuff with miniatures. I don't even have a clue how they do it. Some of it is a matter of taste. Like the figure itself is labeled as Saint Celestine who is supposed to be wearing the armor worn by Saint Katherine. The armor is said to be gold plated armor. I personally don't like that, partially because I don't like using bright colors. I like having a darker more subdued look so there's a lot of effects that's seems to be harder if not impossible to get, at least with my current skill level. The other reason is that I find that the gold look kind of makes it very difficult to associate with the particular army that both Celestine and Katherine are from which is the Order of Our Martyred Lady. Their colors are primarily black red and gold, which I rather like. At least that's their current colors. I think they used to be brighter and they used to be called something else until the death of Saint Katherine and they changed their name and colors as a sign of mourning.

Another personal preference for me is that as beautiful as the work done by Eavy Metal is, I don't like messing a lot with painting shadows and highlights onto the miniatures. At least not to the extent that they do. Like they literally will paint the miniatures in such a way to create the look of a light source coming from a particular angle. It's incredibly beautiful for those showcase photos that they do for books and catalogs, but I personally don't like it. I rather let the natural lighting do that. So if I do play around with highlights I'm a bit more reserved with it and more subtle. Like the raised parts of the folds in the cloak I'll use a slightly lighter shade of red to highlight those but I don't do much of it. And again I don't even have the skill to do the kind of shading and highlighting that hardcore painters do. Their abilities create beautiful work both from a distance and up close.

-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 08-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Commander

-Robert D. Ballard
Old 12-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Commander

Version 2

Current project.

-Robert D. Ballard