The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Teaser this Thursday!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Trailers can also be misleading, until we see the movie and fully understand the context these scenes are in, it's hard to make judgements about them

I agree that there are visual cues of both Wrath of Khan and the "Where no Man Has Gone Before" episode", but it's hard to say how much we can really read into it yet.

Perhaps the nine minute trailer will shed more light, but I have no interest in seeing that one. I feel like it's too much.
I completely agree on context, and I likely won't catch the 9 minute section so I will probably only have the trailers.

I like the Cumberbatch voiceover but............if this is dialogue from the film and not maybe dialogue from the trailer then the question is who is he talking to? Kirk? Spock? The emphasis he places on the 'my' part of him having his vengeance. I like that choice of emphasis.

It's HIS to have and he's coming after someone or something he believes has done something to him. Is this a person? Is it Starfleet? What happened? What was done to him and why?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

I get the impression that this guy is after Starfleet as an organization. Or maybe Earth as a whole.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Federation Councillor

And like any good teaser it merely creates more questions and observations without actually answering anything.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I understand your point but they have already made one poor attempt of copying TWOK/NEM. Is it really necessary to stick so fanatically to this one movie and not just copy patterns but even entire scenes (Nero crying Spock!, now Kirk putting his hand on a transparent wall)?
There is a difference between an inside joke (Cardassian sunrise), a homage (Nimoy) and a blunt copy&paste job (the above-mentioned stuff).
Look at BTTF: In every film it's "oh it was just a dream, now you're back in 1955 / on the 27th floor / on the McFly farm..." and there is a skateboard/hoverboard/horsedrag scene in each one of them - still it's fun. Because sometimes we like copied scenes if they remind us of what came before.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I understand your point but they have already made one poor attempt of copying TWOK/NEM. Is it really necessary to stick so fanatically to this one movie and not just copy patterns but even entire scenes (Nero crying Spock!, now Kirk putting his hand on a transparent wall)?
There is a difference between an inside joke (Cardassian sunrise), a homage (Nimoy) and a blunt copy&paste job (the above-mentioned stuff).
Have to agree on the Nemesis aspect. When I saw Cumb'y character I thought this Shinzon Character is back for a second crack at Starfleet and the Federation.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!