The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Sequel Title: Star Trek Into Darkness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

I often look at the Who's Online thing, and you see new posters on there all the time too. I like to look at the old threads that the guests are looking at, it's fun to read things you wrote a few years ago.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Federation Councillor

Sometimes I've been tempted to go waaaaaaaaay back and look up stuff I wrote ages ago as well, especially during the months when it was all so.........heated? Will I say? Conversational? Outright battlers at times? Lol!

I bet I wrote some stuff I would look back at and go 'WTF?!' Some doozy's will be in there I know.

But I reckon Picard said it best in 'The Battle', sometimes you gotta '......let the past remain the past' with that stuff.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Commander

And where's the Who's Online? I don't see it under the Member's List.

I guess I was being somewhat sarcastic; I knew all this info 'would' be easily available, but felt like picking this occasion to unproductively express my (rather mild, all things considered) frustration at not being in the know with these kind of things (in general). Sorry about that.

So what if you never log out because you're too lazy (as I am) to log back in again? Does Who's Online show you staring at the same page for 24+ hrs as though you can't quite figure out the words in front of you? Just curious.

(And yeah, DmjcBjud26 does seem like a spam name. I mean I wouldn't remember that was my name if my dick depended on it.)

Last edited by samwiseb : 11-11-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's in the Quick Links menu.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

If I may divert the thread back on topic for the briefest of moments, I'd like to say that I do not like this title. I don't mind it that much, but I have one issue with it.

Obviously, they are trying to play on the fact that "to trek" is in fact a verb and I believe this was almost said outright in an interview. I like this. This is good. However: "Star Trek" is a pairing of words to make a single noun. Thus rendering "Star Trek Into Darkness" a noun plus a supporting statement. (To separate the "Star" from the "Trek" there needs to be an article before "Star" - either "a" or "the". At the moment the "Star Trek" component is technically a single word.)

Another way of putting that would be along the lines of "Squirrel: Into Darkness".

Oops. It seems that they have opted for a colon film title but decided simply to skip the colon. This is bad.

Personally, I'd like to retitle this film as simply "Trek Into Darkness", which starts with a verb and is in the imperative. You see that title and it compels you to see it. It urges you. You must see it. You will trek into darkness.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Commander

I think you've articulated something I've not been able put my finger on. I like the use of Trek as a verb, but yes it makes the term Star Trek a little awkward.

On the other hand, Damon Lindelof (not checking to see if I've spelled his name right) also said something that I think is dead on. Which is that the colon in the title embodies everything that casual audiences have come to not like about Star Trek. It basically decodes as Star Trek: Another Movie or Star Trek: Still Yet Another "'Nother New One" One.

The colon is also very much a staple of the 2nd Generation (NOT to be confused with Next Generation even though the latter is exclusive to the former), just as the roman numerals are a staple of the 1st. As I see it, anyway. (Are Generations and Insurrection the two TNG films that were without colons? Or are they Generations and Nemesis? I never get that part clear because nobody's ever consistent)

But anyway, I think that each generation should have its own stile. 3rd Generation seems to be characterized by simplicity, and perhaps even a degree of misdirective replacement (I mean 'Star Trek' would fool any google search). So it seems appropriate that they should continue to leave the colon out just to set themselves apart.

Twelve more years until my first motherf-ing colonoscopy. I can hardly wait.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Federation Councillor

I'm still half and half on the title anyway but fair enough on the analysis. Not a major problem to me but I still need to work on liking the title.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Commander

Was anyone on here bothered by the use of the term 'star trek' in the actual spoken dialogue of ST First Contact? Like, did it seem fourth-wall breaking to anybody? I'm just curious.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 AM
Federation Councillor

It felt like they were trying to be clever and wink to the audience.................It's not my favourite moment in FC. But, yeah, I usually just let it go. But it doesn't really sound right either.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Definitely forced. It's one of the better movies though.