The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Disney Buyout Could Be Death Blow for Lucas Videogames
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Default Disney Buyout Could Be Death Blow for Lucas Videogames

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/disney-lucasarts/

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm not so sure. The article says that they may go the licensing route. It could end up being a very good thing.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

And I still want to see Star Wars 1313 released, as it is a game that (after a long drought of such content) focuses on the post-Episode IV era. Will be interesting to see if they're still able to pursue the goal of possibly making it an M rated Star Wars title.

After all, although a different publisher and developer, Lord of the Rings got an M rated game released with "War In The North".

Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Rear Admiral

Disney just has to get their hands on EVERYTHING! I was at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California a few days ago for the Halloween Haunting experience and man I heard that Disney is even trying to buy the ship! Dang, is there anything they can't control? Seriously...I know how much they want to get their hands on the Spider-Man franchise. No, it's not enough to buy Marvel, they have to control every aspect of Marvel including Spider-Man.

Although I don't approve of the current Spider-Man, I am glad that Columbia has the rights to it still.

As for Star Wars, I was very disappointed when I heard that Disney bough Lucasfilm. I suposse it doesn make sense since there are two rides at Disneyland with collaboration with Lucas: Star Tours and Indiana Jones. But, now that they have greenlit three more films...I hope they will get good writers and keep Lucas out of the script.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

Lucas has some direct involvement in the Clone Wars series, and it's turned out to be a quality show.

I think Disney will give us some good movies, even if Lucas has some limited involvement in it.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
I suposse it doesn make sense since there are two rides at Disneyland with collaboration with Lucas: Star Tours and Indiana Jones. But, now that they have greenlit three more films...I hope they will get good writers and keep Lucas out of the script.
At least Lucasarts has been implicitly connected with Disney since the nineties as Monkey Island has been inspired by the respective Disney ride.
You also mentioned the other way around, Disney rides being inspired by Lucasfilms so I fail to see why Disney swallowing Lucasfilms should lead to bad creative changes. The days in which Disney implied cartoons and children stuff (not that all of their cartoons were made for kids) are over.