The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Disney acquires Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, plans more Star Wars movies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Wonder what George is going to do with that $4 billion? Build himself a spaceship? Time machine? A super duper doomsday shelter?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Sam,
I was thinking largely the same thing in that Disney may actually try to restore the original versions of the original trilogy so that hardcores who hated the special editions can finally get what they want....a digitally remastered and restored, but uncompromised version (hopefully even in hi-def) of the trilogy as they appeared in '77, '80, and '83.

I don't have too many problems with the Special Editions, so it's a moot point for me. Still, I would not mind having the original versions in hi-def for good comparison material, and nostalgia.

But again, this particular possiblity is a big IF.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Vice Admiral

This is great news but I am cautiously optimistic until I see what Disney does with Star Wars Episodes 7. 8 and 9.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Hmmmnnn, lemme see - the news broke last night as I was just heading to bed so with gut reaction out the way..........

I would not bet on releases of the original trilogy. Given Lucas' determination to bury/erase them I would have a hard time believing the issue of them wasn't addressed during negotiations. So it really depends what Lucas stipulated or allowed as part of the conditions of the sale. If he truly doesn't want them seen, then I doubt he would have included with the deal the option for Disney to try and restore whatever is left for a sale package.

But maybe he went to them the equivalent of 'If YOU want to, go ahead, it's all yours now'.

When it comes to the next three films the reports are that there exist treatments and mapped out plans for three films. OK.............so who wrote and prepared these plans? Lucas? Someone else? I suppose that will be answered in course (if not already in some online article). They want to have the film out in 2015. So they must be well along.

Also, Disney owns Marvel. Now I loved The Avengers as much as the next man but I firmly believe the success of that film had as much to do with Whedon writing it. The precursor films are a LOT more variable so I'm in no way assuming Disney has the Marvel Universe sorted in terms of quality. And if you look at Disney blockbusters in general of the last few years not many are particularly good IMO and some are downright awful. So, The Avengers is not long term evidence of anything in my eyes. Especially with sequel assembly line Disney already has in place. Also, as some articles have noted, there's a little film called The Avengers 2 currently scheduled for May 2015. That was the traditional release date for the prequels. Will Disney be pitting it's Marvel tentpole against it new tentpole or will something shift?

I have no interest on the consumer products side except to expect even more than there already is. But I don't buy it now and I won't in future. Merchandise all you like.

So really the upshot becomes what is this new trilogy all about? Who will write it/them? Who will direct it/them? They may be good films, they may be bad films but overall this currently still reeks of Disney just out to make easy money off an established brand they didn't do any work building, just the same as when they swooped in and bought Marvel and Pixar.

I remain a doubter until more info emerges about these new films.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 10-31-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Admiral

It will all be rebooted eventually. Some writers or director's new take on it. It's what they do, put their own stamp on things, their signature so to speak.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 AM
Commander

I never said restoring the original trilogy was likely to happen. But if Lucas is selling his empire and going into semi-retirement, one might hope that maybe it's a little less unlikely.

And I do believe the negatives (or whatever is in usable quality at this point) need to be re-captured and restored even if they do remain conformed to the '97 special editions or edited into the more recent versions. But I still haven't heard who has them at this point. Are they part of the Lucasfilm/Disney buyout? Or maybe they revert back to FOX. It is likely that Lucas has a clause in the deal to keep them protected under his control, just like he bought the sequel rights from FOX back in the day. But maybe this whole transaction is a sign that he's letting go. That he's willing to let other people develop new SW movies is unprecedented in itself. Hard though to be as enthusiastic about that just yet, since we don't necessarily need more SW.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 AM
Federation Councillor

Sure, but going by the online bits I've been reading so far the most commonly brought up aspect is what this means for the 'original' original trilogy. That, and the expression that Disney just starts with the prequels all over again...........but somehow makes them better.

I doubt that would happen though.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Get JJ Abrams to direct

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

I agree, Kevin. Avengers was successful largely due to the creative efforts behind and around the film. Whedon did a bang up job writing and directing this movie. (Certainly MUCH better than Serenity, and I enjoyed that movie, despite it being another overblown tv episode).

I think I meant to say that generally, Disney did not interfere with the production of The Avengers. They'll obviously be a bit more "hands on" with Star Wars.

I think Walt Disney Productions has done a lot of growing up in terms of movie making. I really enjoyed "Race to Witch Mountain" which was a Disney sci-fi staple back in the '70's, and this recent movie was made considerably edgier. They've also clearly dropped any problems with making movies at a PG-13 level. (Especially since PG-13 is pretty much just the new PG now.)

But I also agree that sometimes they do just swoop in and put their brand on other folks' work. Not that they necessarily do a bad job with it.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

What a difference a day makes, new Star Wars movies?! I don't quite know what to make of this news.