The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > TNG HD trailer!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Federation Councillor

How's that disc exchange thing going?

I got disc 1 of TNG through on rental today so am having a look at it. I already saw 'Encounter at Farpoint' from the sampler previously so really 'The Naked Now' is my first new episode to check out.

Although it's barmy this was always a fun favourite of mine and the HD stuff looks good. I think they must have actually redone several of the visual effects though because some elements look totally different (the chunk of rock that destroys the Tsiolkovsky and her destruction looked pretty shiny and new) but it's still kinda like looking at them through clear glass after twenty years of seeing them through a fogged mirror.

'Code of Honor' is next. Em...................yeah, not the best one to have to sit through!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
How's that disc exchange thing going?
Very well, actually.

There was a delay, because apparently CBS' quality control department found more mistakes than what they believed had been reported (including a missing special effect in 'Heart of Glory'). So it took them longer to fix everything and there was little communication or updates. But *supposedly* everything was fixed, and replacement discs were shipping by the end of the month.

I ended up with multiple copies because I both emailed and phoned them. By the time they responded to email, I had already given up and contacted them by phone. But then I didn't tell them that because I figured they would've gotten my information wrong over the phone anyway (most of the conversation had been them trying to hear my first name... too few syllables or something). So now I can buy the set for somebody knowing I already have corrected discs for them.

Quote:
I got disc 1 of TNG through on rental today so am having a look at it. I already saw 'Encounter at Farpoint' from the sampler previously so really 'The Naked Now' is my first new episode to check out.
On the first disc, 'Farpoint' would be the episode to check for audio problems. The dialogue for the 7.1 track should be unbalanced (right and center).

Easiest way to tell though is to select the 2.0 stereo track (for 'Farpoint'); there should be a two-second lag in the audio during the OP (the rest of the episode is fine), so that Patrick Stewart is still reading "to boldly go..." during the warp/zoom/flash/title transition.

Looking back over Trekmovie.com, these are the episodes that were effected:

Farpoint
(dialogue is right and center -- unbalanced)

Hide and Q
The Big Goodbye
Datalore
Too Short a Season
(dialogue is balanced, but comes out of right and left as well as center... which may cause an 'echo' on some people's setups)

Haven
(dialogue is not only left and right, but also comes out sounding 'tinny' or filtered in some places, as if spoken through a mic).

Heart of Glory
(missing special effect; security guard presumably gets hit with a flashlight beam pointing at his chest and falls)

The problematic discs are: 1, and 3-5. I have not seen most of them myself, as I sort of waited until replacement discs came in. I'll be checking them now though just to make sure I didn't mix them up.

Quote:
Although it's barmy this was always a fun favorite of mine and the HD stuff looks good. I think they must have actually redone several of the visual effects though because some elements look totally different (the chunk of rock that destroys the Tsiolkovsky and her destruction looked pretty shiny and new) but it's still kinda like looking at them through clear glass after twenty years of seeing them through a fogged mirror.
Too lazy to go back over old Trekmovie articles, however I believe Mike Okuda said that the post-production process from film to video was not an exact science. One week opticals and pyrotechnics might be done on film and 'paintbrush' laser effects captured strait to video, the following week vice-versa. Models were probably shot on film most of the time, but I think even then there were exceptions. And I suspect things will often look different in HD even when the exact same elements are used (such as the 'vastness of space' shots in the OP beginning with S3). You've got me curious about 'Naked Now' (and come to think of it, they did show some differently-textured shots -seemingly from that episode- at the screening I attended).

'Looking through a clearer glass' is about how it was for me when TNG first hit VHS in 1991. Then again we had always had rather grainy (at best!) TV reception where I lived.

Quote:
'Code of Honor' is next. Em...................yeah, not the best one to have to sit through!
I watched all of disc 2 a couple weeks ago, and I saw 'Justice' for the first time in I think 24 years. That may be my worst TNG episode ever as of now.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Federation Councillor

'Justice' isn't a whole lotta good it has to be said.

I had sent the first rental disc back too late to check it out but the sound seemed fine as I recall (although I didn't select the 7.1 option specifically I don't know if it would automatically play it in that sound format by default) when I played 'Encounter at Farpoint'.

Thing is, the show just looks too gorgeous now in remastered format..............I have to get it. But I'll need to see how in the UK I can ensure that I get a 'fixed' set or if the UK has a phoneline system for at least ordering replacement discs if I don't.

I'll still need to wait a couple of months anyway to pick it up. Maybe the Christmas sales will have it a bit cheaper.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Commander

My impression is that the discs are unlocked (as most ST BluRays are according to this site). And that they are *possibly* the exact same discs (regardless of region) on top of that. First thing I have to do upon inserting a disc is to select a language... and most of the options are European.

In a worse case scenario, I would imagine you could try the email address or phone number here (email's probably a lot cheaper for overseas long distance!) and ask who they would direct you to.

I don't think they would leave anyone out in the cold. They seem a little too proud of the expensive work they've commissioned. Both my replacement batches -original and accidental- came with a card of official apology. On the front is the final E flyby from main titles (with the tiny people in the officer's lounge). On the backside is a still from the VERY CRUDE pencil-and-crayon animation that you are actually seeing inserted behind those windows (priceless).

I have to go home and watch 'The Naked Now' on DVD. I have a feeling most of the effects are the same elements, different composition. Although the 'rock' in that ep's teaser looked crude enough that it just might have originally been an SD video effect. Seems to me the models always did look bloated and cheap in 'Naked Now'... but I don't think it ever occurred to me to be so obvious a thing as the wrong color of light reflecting off them.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Federation Councillor

I'll see once I get it. Season 2 is scheduled for Dec 10th I think in the UK.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Commander

From the talkback thread on the most recent Trekmovie.com article regarding the BluRays:

Quote:
North America: email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com OR call 877-335-8936
Europe: email stng@sonydadc.com OR call 01992 657 739 (UK)
So it looks like there is international support for these discs.

EDIT: Here's more from thedigitalbits.com:

Quote:
Also today, a LOT of you Trek fans have been e-mailing to ask how you'll be able to spot the fixed versions of CBS' Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set on store shelves. We've just heard back from CBS and have the official answer: There will be "a red delta shield symbol near the top of the O-ring spine" on the packaging of the fixed versions. In addition, the corrected discs will have the same delta shield symbol in front of the disc number on each. We expect the fixed sets to start arriving in stores over the next few weeks - certainly well before the time Season Two streets on 12/4. So there you go.

Last edited by samwiseb : 09-10-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Commander

Most insightful interview on this subject yet:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/cbsdi...nterview1.html

Old 10-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Well about 50% of that was technical stuff that I kinda got the intent of but it was still a pretty good read. It's really quite impressive just how much work goes into a good quality restoration project. They're working on season 3 at least so that indicates the project might be good for all seven seasons to be done.

Also, looking forward to the Diana Muldaur interview for season 2. That plus extended material for 'The Measure of a Man' all sounds good.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Commander

I'm starting to get my hopes up for DS9. In a cautiously optimistic way of course.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't see why they wouldn't look at the numbers on it. But it depends on if the sales hold up, whatever they've been.

I guess it would be many years down the line. From what I've read I believe they could release ENT on Blu-ray much more easily than any of the other shows as it was shot in HD anyway but I'm not sure why they haven't.

courtesy of Saquist