The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > 'Star Wars' versus 'Star Trek' technology: Let's settle this
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

But threepio is not a universal translator, he has to already have the language programmed inside of him to understand it. Which is why he says that he is "fluent in over six million forms of communication". The minute he comes up against a new one, he's as useless as I am!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Data and 3PO would probably enjoy each other's company, for the very reason you stated. Indeed, as long as 3PO had pleasant conversation (he is, after all an etiquette and protocol droid), and Data would certainly provide such, 3PO would not go off on his "more droid than thou" complex.

Data would see Threepio's (ha ha ha, no pun intended) considerable use as the next level of Universal Translator, and Threepio would be fascinated by the vast amount of knowledge that Data has stored on a myriad of subjects.
And above all they wouldn't annoy anybody with talking endlessly. 3PO was a bit of a caricature of British manners and Data often didn't know when providing information was inappropriate.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
But threepio is not a universal translator, he has to already have the language programmed inside of him to understand it. Which is why he says that he is "fluent in over six million forms of communication". The minute he comes up against a new one, he's as useless as I am!
Not necessarily.

Just about every time that Threepio introduces himself, and is asked his capabilities, he almost always gets stopped just before he can elaborate on "I can readily--."

Example: The Star Wars Radio Play (which is considered official canon), when asked about his translative capabilities, he replies: "I am fluent in over six million forms of communication, and can readily--", after which he is cut off.

Very possible that Threepio can interpolate, as well as translate.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

BTW, Horatio.....GREAT SIGNATURE!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, virtually everything by George Carlin is great.

About 3PO vs. the UT, although the latter seems to function perfectly I think it would be more realistic if there were an actual difference between a software that translates and a droid who can speak many different languages. Kinda like when you start out with another language, in the beginning you still have to translate certain words in your head but once you are fluent it comes naturally to you, you are "in" the new language and no longer in your native one.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, see, that's how I kinda think of C-3PO. Sure, he speaks tons of languages, but I do think he has a sort of interpolative feature that will allow him, in time, to actually learn new languages. Perhaps not quite as fast as the UT, but certainly fast enough to be of use to whomever he's working with.

I had a funny thought, earlier, during our Data/3PO musings. Suppose R2-D2 was along for the ride as well. What if Data were able to learn R2's electronic language? They could both easily annoy See Threepio. Ha ha ha.

C-3PO: R2-D2, you obtuse little glob of grease, you cannot possibly fathom the conversation that Mr. Data and I are engaged in. You're a mechanic, incapable of even rudimentary philosophical interpolation.

R2-D2: (beeps in protest, then turns to Data.)

Data: Excuse me, C-3PO. (turns to R2 and begins replying to R2 in the astromech's electronic language).

C-3PO: Why, Mr. Data?! I've never been so insulted in all my operational lifespan!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Admiral

Here's my take on the whole Star Wars vs. Star Trek in a battle. Saddens me to say so cause I'm routing for Trek, but the Civ in Star Wars would kick the Federation's ***.

Now some of the tech in Trek looks pretty formidable and seems like it would be able to give a star destroyer or the empire, on a grander scale, not ship to ship, a real fight, but to me I think it comes down to the class of civilization you're dealing with. I mean the type of civ. on the scale. Can't remember the guy's name. Kardeshav I think.

Type 1: harness power of planet.

Type 2: harness power of star.

Type 3: harness power of galaxy.

Somewhere in TNG Trek it's stated that they've only charted about 11% of the galaxy. The empire seems to be a true galactic civilization with thousands of years of history behind it. Something more like the civ in the Foundation trilogy.

To me, realistically, it seems a civ like the Dominion or the Borg would have a better chance against the Empire than the Federation. But the Federation did all right against those guys so who knows.

Ship to ship, a Star Destroyer against the Enterprise. Have no idea. I'd think the Star Destroyer but I'd bet on the Enterprise. Gotta have faith you know.

Now a Cylon Basestar would kick a star destroyer's *** before you could say 'so say we all', but that's another discussion I guess.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

That is an interesting take, Livingston, about civilizations and their galactic history and how it might....might relate to their combat prowess in space.

StarFleet is essentially a blue-water navy....having just enough ships to do the job they were mandated for by the Federation: Exploration with the capability to defend Fed territory, should the need arise. I'd estimate, at best, at the height of the Federation's known tech (re: TNG/TNG movie era) StarFleet may have around 1,000 ships of varying type at its call. (This is not counting any possible alliances with foreign powers, like the Klingons.)

The Galactic Empire, on is a deep space, conquering navy...similar to what the Soviets were trying to achieve back during the Cold War, and has 25,000 Imperial Star Destroyers at its disposal, and (at the time of the height of the Empire, just before its fall in Return of the Jedi) it was guessed that there were at least 5 Super Star Destroyers, but their actual numbers were not known.

In terms of sheer star power, the Empire has it all over the Federation, and likely over all the major powers in the Milky Way Galaxy combined, except maybe the Borg. Ship to ship, though, I'd say it'd be a damn close fight. Or, as I stated before...it's anybody's fight. It depends on who acts first, and with what weapons.

Now, once StarFleet learns how to fully take down an ISD's (or even an SSD's shields), the fight might be a wee bit more leaned in favor of the Federation.....but still....that's assuming they can strike back, if they don't strike first....or, if their scanners register that the globes atop the conning towers are what provide the shield coverage for those Imperial ships.

If the Star Destroyers come running in with ion cannons blazing, StarFleet could be in for a world of hurt in a matter of minutes, when they're systems are inexplicably disabled, and the ISD's/SSD's start opening up with their turbolasers and concussion missile launchers.

And you may be right about a Cylon basestar (new Galactica series) possibly blasting the pogees out of an ISD. If the ISD sticks with only using ray-shielding, well....with the myriad projectile based weapons a basestar (or even a battlestar) has, the ISD could be a sitting duck.

Last edited by martok2112 : 09-06-2012 at 03:03 AM.