The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Starship Troopers: Invasion on Blu-Ray
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Starship Troopers: Invasion on Blu-Ray

STARSHIP TROOPERS: INVASION

This movie was a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the two direct to video sequels (and I really cringe to call them that) to the original Starship Troopers film. This felt like a direct sequel, taking place obviously several years after the events of the first movie.
This is a largely Asian/Japanese production, with Casper Van Dien (Johnny Rico from the first and third movies) executive producing. A pretty compelling story is told here of a soldier who had fallen from grace for reasons not explained til later. The story also reunites first film heroes General Johnny Rico, Captain Carmen Ibanez, and Colonel Carl Jenkins....but Jenkins is not quite the same as we knew him from the first film. Let's just say a pragmatic moment he has in the first movie foreshadows what he becomes for this CG movie.
Some of the voice acting falls a little shy, but overall, the voice cast did a fine job of capturing their characters. None of the original cast were gotten to reprise their roles for this movie.
The CG in this movie, I loved the hell out of it. Some of the set pieces were extraordinary, with main engineering of the John A. Warden being probably my favorite CG set, especially when lit up. The ships looked really good too. I wouldn't say that the characters looked as good as the characters in Final Fantasy: The Spirts Within, but they do look good enough to not take away from the story.
They even touch on the power armor that was such a heavy factor in the original novel of Starship Troopers. A nice touch. And the armor that the troopers wear is very reminiscent of the Halo video game series.
The music, by Tetsuya Takahashi, set a good tone for the film, and my heart leapt when I heard his adaptation of "Klendaathu Drop" by the late, great Basil Poleduris, who did the score for the original film. I really miss Mr. Poleduris' work.
This movie is much better than the live action sequels, (it has a few semi-goofy moments, but overall is much darker even than the first film....and certainly darker than the mounds of crap that followed) and better than the CG animated series of movies that was briefly available on DVD, and I actually enjoyed those CG movies. Yes, it's largely space-fantasy, so expect a lot of stuff to call B.S. on, but it adds to the charm of the film.
This is an R-rated movie also, so it's not for the kids. Graphic violence, strong language, and some nudity are present here. But, this is probably the best Starship Troopers experience one will ever get. And if you can get it on Blu-Ray, do it! The picture quality is stunning.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Commander

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. There's a movie I've barely even thought of for eleven years.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. There's a movie I've barely even thought of for eleven years.
Ha ha...tell me about it.
Taken on its own, as just a movie, I didn't think FF:TSW was too bad. A bit convoluted, but not bad. Voice cast was superb. Donald Sutherland, Ming Na, among others. But, trying to take it and line it up with the video game franchise upon which it was supposedly based? It just doesn't jibe at all. It certainly did not ring true at all with the die hard fans of that long lived video game franchise.

But the characters in that movie looked stunningly real, and felt even more so again with the superb voice acting.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Federation Councillor

I have this new Troopers flick on rental list to be sent out at some point. Will check it sometime.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 09-08-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Federation Councillor

I did however, pick up Starship Troopers itself on Blu-ray cheap today and for a film that probably didn't have any special restoration or remastering prior to transfer it sure looked good on BR. It may be fifteen years old now but damn if I don't find it enjoyably trashy EVERY time!

And the special effects have mostly held up pretty well to boot.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 09-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Just bought the SPECIAL EDITION DVD for nine bucks!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

I have the live action trilogy on Blu-Ray...and I think it comes with the SE for the first movie. The other two films....the second film might've made a decent "Outer Limits" episode. The third film....wow....the singing soldier really just made it stupidly cringeworthy. But the return of Rico (Casper Van Dien) was a halfway welcome appearance.

If only they could've gotten Denise Richards as Carmen Ibanez.

As such, despite owning all four movies, I only consider the first movie, and the CG movie "Invasion" as canon. (Sounds strange coming from someone who does not invest a lot of credence in which films are and are not canon...such as Star Trek or Star Wars ) Then again, I also consider only Superman, Superman II, and Superman Returns as canon in their series.

Last edited by martok2112 : 09-08-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Federation Councillor

I've only seen the second film once and I didn't think it was good as such, but given the difference in scale production wise I thought it could have been worse.

I couldn't get past about ten minutes of Marauder on TV once though. Woof!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I've only seen the second film once and I didn't think it was good as such, but given the difference in scale production wise I thought it could have been worse.

I couldn't get past about ten minutes of Marauder on TV once though. Woof!

Ha ha! I hear ya! I really had to steel myself to watch that all the way through.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Federation Councillor

The flick finally found it's way up my rental list and I watched it tonight.

I thought it was a mixed bag. The CGI human characters definitely were not as polished because of the obviously lower budget unless they were in full armour gear but the production design aspects (ship design, space station design, set design etc were pretty good. That style of ship design and space station design in the Troopers world is one that appeals to me anyway though).

The dialogue and the voice acting were kinda 'meh' for me and the overall plot probably needlessly piled on for the short run time.

I think overall I'll probably just stick to the '97 film but I wasn't sorry I watched it.

courtesy of Saquist