The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > New Abrams TV Show, "Revolution"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Commander

Default New Abrams TV Show, "Revolution"

Here's the link to the NBC website, http://www.nbc.com/revolution/

Debuts on American television next month, I saw the billboard on the city bus today. Looks like a futuristic dystopia/survivalist type show. Star Trek/Fringe/Alcatraz, now this. That Abrams is one busy man!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

I plan on checking that show out.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Admiral

I give it one season, despite how good it might be, and the fact that I might like it!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Federation Councillor

I actually don't have a huge amount of initial interest in this one anymore. I couldn't really say why because I've enjoyed other Abrams originated TV shows and also Eric Kripke's 'Supernatural'.

But it'll be at least a year or more before it finds it's way into an outlet where I'll be able to catch it (whether that be a UK channel or rental) so by that time it might be a goner anyway!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

A lot of times, television networks will put out shows that are meant to be somehow, slightly similar big screen films recently released. In this case, I see a similarity between this show (which does look good) and The Hunger Games. The similarity is largely with the main female character, who reminds me of Katriss from the Hunger Games. (Manner of dress, weapons, etc.)

Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Indeed, the Trailer looks great, especially the plants overgrowing buildings stuff.
But I doubt that the character from the show can make a Tell-esque apple shot like Katniss ... and of course she doesn't look as good as Lawrence.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
A lot of times, television networks will put out shows that are meant to be somehow, slightly similar big screen films recently released. In this case, I see a similarity between this show (which does look good) and The Hunger Games. The similarity is largely with the main female character, who reminds me of Katriss from the Hunger Games. (Manner of dress, weapons, etc.)
The dystopic/survivalist aspect is something we've seen quite a bit of on television recently. In the sci-fi genre, we now have Speilberg's Falling Skies, a couple years back we had Jericho, a show about a post-nuclear America, and more recently The Walking Dead, not to mention the tons of reality-based survivalist shows out there on various TV channels. It seems there's an audience for this type of survivalist drama.

Last edited by chator : 08-08-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Indeed, the Trailer looks great, especially the plants overgrowing buildings stuff.
But I doubt that the character from the show can make a Tell-esque apple shot like Katniss ... and of course she doesn't look as good as Lawrence.

LOL! Well, I only mentioned the appearance of the character, not necessarily here skills with archery.

And yes, the chick that plays Katriss is really hot! I will likely get the Hunger Games on Blu-Ray since I did not see it in the theater (mixed reviews).

And indeed, chator, there's a large audience for the post-apocalyptic survivalist genre.

Speaking strictly for myself, I love Falling Skies and am eagerly awaiting season two to hit DVD or Blu-Ray. Have yet to see Jericho. I also have season 1 of The Walking Dead, now just need to sit down and watch it.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
LOL! Well, I only mentioned the appearance of the character, not necessarily here skills with archery.

And yes, the chick that plays Katriss is really hot! I will likely get the Hunger Games on Blu-Ray since I did not see it in the theater (mixed reviews).

And indeed, chator, there's a large audience for the post-apocalyptic survivalist genre.
I don't know why the mixed reviews. I've seen the film three times now and I really liked it. I keep thinking maybe I'm supposed to find something wrong with it, however...