The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Moon formation: Was it a 'hit and run' accident?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Voluminous hair, carrot jeans, the eighties have been bad but that's precisely why they are so good. Movies like Robocop, They live and even Back to the Future to some degree use this very trashiness to work.
In comparison the nineties with their end of history flair are quite stale.
Agreed!

I hated the 90's, except for the fact that the Cold War ended then. Loved the 70's and 80's (except for that whole "Cold War" part)

Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

But it was precisely the Cold War which gave these decades their edge. It is no coincidence that the 90s are so bland.
Now of course I am not saying that the Cold War was a great thing but that it created a sense of history. In the nineties we thought, to use the words of Fu*uyama (holy frak, the frakkin' censor does not allow me to write out his name) , that we are at the "end of history" and this influenced cultural life. Gee, I grew up in the nineties and with all this electronic dancehouse crap we literally reached the end of the world.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
But it was precisely the Cold War which gave these decades their edge. It is no coincidence that the 90s are so bland.
Now of course I am not saying that the Cold War was a great thing but that it created a sense of history. In the nineties we thought, to use the words of Fu*uyama (holy frak, the frakkin' censor does not allow me to write out his name) , that we are at the "end of history" and this influenced cultural life. Gee, I grew up in the nineties and with all this electronic dancehouse crap we literally reached the end of the world.
Good points.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

I liked the 90's. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and many others were good. It's been the 2000's I think have been mostly crap

Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

The same applies for German Hiphop, it reached its peak at the end of the nineties. But beyond specific musical genres I think you could claim that the nineties were the lost decade and this influenced art in general.
9/11 made the 00s culturally more poignant, the end of history dream was over and this influenced at least cinema. Everything became sharper. Music is perhaps less impacted by the course of history.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

I liked very (VERY) few bands from the 90's. Alice In Chains (for their awesomely sinister vocal harmonies), and Pearl Jam (at least the first album, Ten, for its no-nonsense rock and roll). Stone Temple Pilots were hit and miss for me. Nirvana? Let's just say their talent really started to shine once Kurt Kobain bit the big one, and they resurfaced as Foo Fighters.

Everything else was just really really depressing.