The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Sally Ride, the first US woman in space, dies aged 61
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

I should've analyzed my sentence structure before posting.

The b.s. wasn't in Sally Ride's partner's predicament. The b.s. was with the uncalled for agenda you had in this thread. This should've been about her accomplishments, not the plight of her partner due to some law.

As for Phase II, well, maybe I shouldn't have brought that up, but since I did, well, if they wouldn't try pushing the gay agenda so freaking hard on their fan films, I might still have some respect for it....but it seems to just be "in your face" with the whole deal.

The eps that I'd seen lately seem more about Kirk's newphew and his sexual preference than about the crew of the Enterprise and their adventures.

I have no problem with a gay character in Trek. I do have a problem when it becomes an agenda for soapboxing.

To be back on track, RIP Sally. May your loved ones find peace with the loss of you on this planet. You boldly went where no woman had gone before.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I agree Saquist, for contrast though here's someone with a different opinion.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...y-matters.html
I thought about that too as I composed my previous post.
Ride had a husband and female partner. But it seemed that privacy was a rather large concern for her. She clearly didn't care for drama and controversy, she didn't want her name used as a rallying cry and didn't want to be pitied and made into a spectacle for cancer.

I agree with that.
That's a concept that goes over the heads of many activist. Not every forum is a battlefield for your cause. Not every public person wants to be propelled into that spotlight. Remembering who she was and what motivated her is important, Yes, and inspiring to women, gays or just repressed human being everywhere.

But also remember Sally Ride never made that Rallying Cry for civil liberties of pensions for gay and lesbian partners either. That's just like putting words in her mouth. I have no doubt she would have gone to the polls and voted on that proposition but that's much different than parading a poster in a place marking her passing. Does anyone see their funeral going like that? I'm sure that's not going to happen at her funeral. I'm sure she would have seen that as absolutely disruptive while people were commemorating her real life accomplishments.

That's the difference. Right place and Right Time.
This may have been the right time but a separate thread would have been better. But the poster with the slogan...and nothing else...Just so bare minimum as effort goes, nary a word on her as a person.

Right there Sally became a poster child...

Old 07-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

I fail to see why cultural conservatives wanna deny homosexual people the privileges of marriage. Shouldn't they prefer two people committing themselves to a live-long relationship to this typical gay polygamy, shouldn't they grant homosexuals all marriage rights precisely in order to get the flag-waving 'gay parade scum' off the streets?

Furthermore whoever praises this astronaut (I personally couldn't care less) for her public service but doesn't give a sh*t about her wife not receiving a widow pension is a hypocrite. It's kinda like the guys who are the first to praise soldiers for their service and risky job but but the last to care about them getting decent protection in the battlefield, medical and psychological coverage and so on.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's like I said, Horatio.... I don't berate Sally's partner at all for what she's been denied. And it's not apathy toward her situation either. That is her private life.

It was, I guess, the timing and the placement of the poster in what should be a commemorative thread. I apologize to NCC for my rather harsh rebuke. It was equally uncalled for. I could've simply agreed with Saquist, said nothing further, and left it at that....but no, I had to get specific, and brazen...and it served no purpose other than stirring up discord. It was wrong.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't go that far as I understand and share your anti-campaigning notion, the death of a person should never be politically exploited. This happens far too often and I am also sometimes guilty of doing this.
So we agree about the form of NCC's post but disagree about the content.

About the latter, I mainly wanted to point out that it is strangely enough precisely the conservative (Get off the streets, stop the stupid carnival bullsh*t and f*king marry like everybody else!) and not the liberal in me who is for equal marriage rights. I always like it when an issue transcends the ordinary one-dimensional political category.