The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > An admittedly tasteless joke....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default An admittedly tasteless joke....

Two men are standing alongside Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno in a food court in a large mall. They're watching all manner of people go by.

Just then, a group of pre-teen, Katy Perry-wannabe girls go walking by. The first man looks at the other man and Sandusky and Paterno, and says: "Cover me, I'm going pedophile. I'll see you in 20." And he takes off after the girls.

A short time later, a group of jailbait, Jessica Simpson-wannabe girls go walking by. The second man looks at Sandusky and Paterno, and says: "Cover me, I'm going statutory. I'll see you in 20." And he takes off after those girls.

A few minutes after that, a group of young, Justin Bieber-wannabe boys goes walking by. Sandusky is clearly moved, and turns to Paterno, and says: "Cover me. I'm doing this for the championship!" And he takes off after the boys.

Paterno spends the rest of the day in the mall covering it up.

Pa dum, bum!

Yes....classless, and tasteless. Even I am capable of such things.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

I love tasteless jokes and I also like the structure of yours.
The only problem here is the implicit notion that the raped children deserve it to some degree as they model themselves upon stupid celebrities respectively that they could have avoided the violence if they hadn't looked like them.
But as usual I am overanalyzing.

Here is another tasteless joke which one can enjoy even if one doesn't agree with the political agenda (which, being an anti-communist, I clearly don't).
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Lieutenant

9/11 jokes are plane wrong, anne frankly I find Holocaust jokes to be tasteless too.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I love tasteless jokes and I also like the structure of yours.
The only problem here is the implicit notion that the raped children deserve it to some degree as they model themselves upon stupid celebrities respectively that they could have avoided the violence if they hadn't looked like them.
But as usual I am overanalyzing.

Here is another tasteless joke which one can enjoy even if one doesn't agree with the political agenda (which, being an anti-communist, I clearly don't).
I can certainly understand your point of view on the "implied notion", Horatio. Although no implication was intended, I do get your point. I think your analysis is spot on....since kids (since time immemorial) do have a tendency to model themselves on people they look up to (or at)....especially those who have an "image" of a sort. (Re: Perry, Simpson, and Bieber.)

The joke you referenced afterward was amusing to hear, but the teller had a very strong counterpoint to it. It was interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR585 View Post
9/11 jokes are plane wrong, anne frankly I find Holocaust jokes to be tasteless too.

Very punny!

In truth, the joke I told (made up by yours truly, btw...thank you, thank you...oh...really....you're too kind...please...please stop hurling the tomatoes...please.....owww...hey, where did that rock come from?!) is a modification of a joke I'd made before.

The joke I originally made starts out largely the same, but there are only three men, none of any fame or infamy, unlike the modified joke I presented. The results of the first two encounters are the same...with the first two men taking off after the young girls.

The punchline goes like this for the original:

The third man sees a group of young boys go walking by. He stops a complete stranger and says: "Cover me, I'm going for the priesthood!"

Pa da-bum, tssssss!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

In general everything can be made fun of. These here are rape jokes after all but they are in no way making fun of the victims.

It is probably hard to imagine a joke about 9/11 or the Holocaust but let's not forget Benigni's Life is Beautiful. You cannot portray the Shoah as a a tragedy because in a tragedy characters retain a certain level of dignity which was not the case with concentration camp victims so only comedy (or ordinary drama beyond the comedy-tragedy distinction) is able to truly portray the horrors.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Very punny!

The punchline goes like this for the original:

The third man sees a group of young boys go walking by. He stops a complete stranger and says: "Cover me, I'm going for the priesthood!"

Pa da-bum, tssssss!

You mean the guys that end every prayer with "Aaah!! Men!!!"
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
You mean the guys that end every prayer with "Aaah!! Men!!!"
Bwaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.....ha ha haaaahhhh!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
In general everything can be made fun of. These here are rape jokes after all but they are in no way making fun of the victims.

It is probably hard to imagine a joke about 9/11 or the Holocaust but let's not forget Benigni's Life is Beautiful. You cannot portray the Shoah as a a tragedy because in a tragedy characters retain a certain level of dignity which was not the case with concentration camp victims so only comedy (or ordinary drama beyond the comedy-tragedy distinction) is able to truly portray the horrors.
Very interesting points.

Ultimately, yes, pretty much everything can be made fun of.
For example:
I am from West Virginia. That in itself should be a joke, but there's so much more. Describe a West Virginia virgin? A 5 year old that can somehow outrun her daddy. What is the West Virginia state flower? Used to be the rhododendron. Now it's the satellite dish. What do divorces and tornadoes in West Virginia have in common? In the end, someone's likely gonna lose a trailer.

I think, if nothing can be made light of (within reason...not necessarily taste, but within reason), then we would not survive as a species. It is said that laughter is the best medicine. As was clearly evidenced by the old Russian joke you linked to, sometimes, laughter can be the best defense mechanism against insanity or depression.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone (South Park) make fun of EVERYTHING. Hardly anything is sacred. Their jokes on dianetics and Scientology caused Isaac Hayes (a Scientologist, I guess), who played "Chef" to leave the show in protest. WOW. He could be on the show and make fun of every other religion, faith, discipline, or philosophy, but when it came to satirizing the CoS, he lost it?

I'm a person of faith, and I make religious jokes all the time! (The one I made up and posted earlier is just one example. The following joke is not one of my originals, but I find it very funny.)
Jesus, Moses, and an old man are playing golf.
The hole they are currently playing has a water hazard. Jesus is up first. He takes his shot. The ball lands in the hazard. So, he walks on the water, picks up the ball, returns to shore with a penalty.
Moses lines up for his shot. He takes it, and the ball drops in the water. Walking to the water's edge, he raises his golf club like the staff he carried, and the water parts. He walks in, and takes the penalty.
So the old man lines up his shot. Ball doesn't even make it a third of the way across the water hazard. But, before the ball hits the water, a bass jumps up out of the water and catches the ball in its mouth. But, before the bass can go back under, an eagle flies down out of the sky, and catches the bass in its talons. The eagle flies up with the bass, and just as they are about to fly over the "hole", the bass drops the ball. "Hole in ONE!"
Jesus shakes his head, looks at the old man with a smile and says: "Nice shot, Dad!"

Pa dum, bum...tssss!

Granted, the previous joke was nowhere near offensive (at least to anyone who has a broad sense of humor concerning faith) but I am sure there are those who would be offended by it, simply because they feel that faith, religion, what have you, MUST NOT BE made light of.

Jesus is on the cross...been there for some time.
A young boy goes walking by. He calls weakly out to the boy.
"Boy, can you get me down from this cross?"
The boy says: "I know not, Lord."
"Can you try?"
"I'll try, Lord. Let me go get a claw."
A few minutes later, the boy returns with the appropriate tool for the job. Jesus says: "Ah, good, young one. Now, just.....whoa...wait....FEET FIRST!!!!!"

Pa da bum! Tssss!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

Self-irony is indeed important. I think another purpose of seemingly insultive humour is to really connect:

About then years ago I met a guy during work, we drove together during the early shift and each morning we greeted each other with a weird insult we picked up during work. When I meet my best friend we sometimes do something similar, greet each other with some kind of half-insult.

The purpose is to signal that one is beyond this distanced politeness, that we can insult each other because we are buddies. When you have fallen in love and not realized it yet consciously something similar can happen, you tease or insult your beloved precisely in order to get out of this deadlock of distanced politeness.

I think your ethnic jokes about West Virginia work similarly. We insult each other or ourselves to signal that we are beyond political correctness (which is precisely why I cannot stand it, it is officially about tolerance but actually quite intolerant: don't come too close, get away from me, I do not really wanna connect with you unless you are a sterilized version of yourself).

Last edited by horatio : 07-27-2012 at 11:44 PM.