The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Thoughts on Midnight Movie Massacre
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
This has less in common with 9/11 than it does with an event like Columbine or the Virginia Tech shooting. This isn't organized terrorisim, or violence in the name of a cause. It's individual psychopaths doing crazy things.
Yes, I realize that, but after 911, I was concerned about going anywhere there were large groups, particularly movie theaters a natural reaction for me anyway, for the reasons I stated above.

Did not mean to imply that this act of a psychopath was in any way related to an act of terrorism, only that the nature of the venue recalled a specific memory relating to my thoughts after 911.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I think the media takes these things and runs with them before they know anything.
Indeed.

We sacrificed fruits, goats or virgins for thousands of years to appease the fertility goddesses during droughts so it is perfectly normal for us to want an explanation for catastrophes. Pat Robertson blamed the liberal hedonistic way of life for 9/11, leftwingers rejoice about Somali piracy as a punishment for European overfishing, ecologists view global warning as a punishment for our "raping of Mother Earth".
The proper attitude is that of Job, the guy from the bible. Do not desperately seek for explanations of calamities when there are none.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard that term before, dark Trekkie? What is that? Trek fans can be weird, but dark? I don't think a Star Trek fan would ever commit an act of terror. Star Trek fans are probably the most moral of all sci-fi fantasy genres. But check this out, http://thecurrent-online.com/opinion...-others-blood/
Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I don't think I've ever heard that term before, dark Trekkie? What is that? Trek fans can be weird, but dark? I don't think a Star Trek fan would ever commit an act of terror. Star Trek fans are probably the most moral of all sci-fi fantasy genres. But check this out, http://thecurrent-online.com/opinion...-others-blood/
That's crazy and dangerous.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Metal detectors everywhere? Who wants to live like that? And cops at every public place is simply not possible. I'll take my chances. Let's not blow these incidents out of proportion. The US has a population of over 300 million. I don't have to worry about getting shot tonight if I go out. The odds just aren't there.

It's a tragedy, as it is anytime innocent people get hurt. It's not something to fear. I have a better chance of getting hit by a plane than I do of getting gunned down at the movies.
It's doable, but not likely sustainable. Especially in places where you have high traffic volume. That's kind of the big thing about trying to plan security. It's difficult to deploy assets to beef up security when you're lacking specific intel. 99.99% of the work in law enforcement or security is at most talking to people. Events like this make up way less than 1% and these are typically your worst case scenarios. If a person really wants to do harm, the best you can do is reduce their chances of success.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's not doable, not in the slightest. The logistics of such a thing nationwide would be impossible. Not difficult, not improbable. Impossible.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Commander

Quote:
It's not doable, not in the slightest. The logistics of such a thing nationwide would be impossible. Not difficult, not improbable. Impossible.
I was limiting the scope to these kind of establishments, specifically theaters. But yes, if we want to widen the scope even more to include every public location then it's not possible. Few months ago, I was down in Long Beach, CA. Just looking out the window as I and my buddies drove to work, it brought home the enormity of the worst case scenario. The Coast Guard captain of the port has the authority to shut down a port. It has to be a very very very bad and very very very specific threat with a bunch of intel to back it up before I would see a captain of the port to even think about doing that. And no doubt every Federal, State, County, and municipal agency in the area would be tied up with just that task. Especially in the LA area which is like the doomsday scenario that disaster planners practically dream about. New York would have the same problem.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Sure, there's a lot more cops roaming around NYC subways and such since 9/11. Increases are possible, a cop in every public place is fantasy. There are cops at the local school here.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Most cities are being pushed to the breaking point trying to field a police force as it is.