The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > So is Cumberbatch Gary Mitchell or not?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Federation Councillor

Personally I think it will be a character we have some familiarity with. Whether it be Mitchell or Khan. Or a third. To some degree anyway. No evidence for that, it's just a feeling.

Mitchell I have no weary objections with in principle (he's considerably less problematic than the next big rumour) but Khan they are REALLY going to have thought of something to do with him (IF that's it) because the weight of TWOK would be almost too great for anyone to overcome, though it's not impossible probably.

It will all depend on the final result.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 07-13-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Commander

Is Cumberbatchersnatch confirmed as the villain, or does he just have a major role in the movie? I know we've got pictures of him massaging Spock's neck, but...

My feeling about Gary Mitchell is that he can only work if he never gets exposed to that ridiculous energy forcefield in the first place. Then maybe he'll find some other reason to become a bad guy. It would cheapen WNMHGB though, as it would seem he wasn't really Kirk's friend at the academy if any number of circumstances could turn him against.

The thing is, once he gets exposed and develops psychic abilities (which I've always been sketchy on anyway, even though WNMHGB is my favorite pilot -- hell it's the only ST pilot I actually like) there really aren't that many ways the story can play out due to the conditions of the original episode. They're stranded on the galactic rim, out of gas, with only one service station nearby that may not even be there in this reboot because Zim went and moved it. This is why the remake version was already told in comic form (and as much as fans seem to have forgotten that, you can be sure they'll decide to remember once it does turn out to be Mitchell. Why just declare the film guilty when it can be twice as guilty?). You know, I think this would be worse than resurrecting Khan.

And then of course, Orci and Kurtzman still have yet to change their stance regarding the Ongoing comic series being canon with the films. They should at least have had a story outline, and known who their antagonist was, by the time the WNMHGB issue was being adapted.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Federation Councillor

As far as I know he's been reported as being the villain in press, but because I think still who he is has never been announced yet that word 'may' be imprecise. He appears to be the antagonist as things stand at any rate.

I don't think anything is really confirmed yet.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Commander

Okay, so let's do this.

The story will focus on a classic character "that will make fans of TOS excited. Think along the lines of Harry Mudd or Trelane or Gary Mitchell or the Talosians or the Horta. Actually it’s one of those that I named."

So...

Harry Mudd
Trelane

Gary Mitchell
Buttheads
Horta

Based on what was said (and the blog linked from this thread doesn't even name which writer said it), [he] wasn't even necessarily talking about the villain when he said the movie focuses on this person.

Meanwhile, looks like Cumberbatchersnatch (sorry, I'm probably not being as funny as I think; I couldn't pronounce his name anyway) is in fact the villain -- according to Pine he helps Kirk 'grow'.

Now here's the more recent list of people who are NOT in the film:

Janice Rand (yeah, Cumberbatch wouldn't be playing her)
Gary Mitchell
Charlie X
Ruk The Android
The Borg (glad we're still not officially cross-pollinating Berman- and Abrams-Trek)

So... looks like neither of the lists given were villain/Cumberbatch exclusive.
That means we can eliminate.

Hmm... is Gary Mitchell the only name that cancels out? I believe it is.

Sneaky bastards!

Either Karl Urban is a fan, or really good at keeping track of what's been said... or better people on the Supreme Court put him up to it. Either way, I think he's definitely having us on. I also don't think it's coincidental that the supposedly-canon comic would compound confusion.

Well this was fun.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Commander

Besides the list we have the photos of Cumberpatch in Starfleet uniform, with human ears and forehead, making him a human, or human lookalike. So he's not a Horta, or Talosian. I suppose he could be a Q, but that race isn't established in J.J.'s alter-verse. So, if its one of those "named", it can't be Mudd, who dresses like a gigolo, or Trelane, who dresses like Liberace. It has to be Mitchell.

On the topic of villian, Peter Weller plays a villian in the movie according to this, http://badassdigest.com/2011/12/07/p...y-be-revealed/
Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Here's what I think is going to happen.

I think Peter Weller is the main character, a starship captain who has been made younger by some means and Cumberbatch is playing a younger version of Weller's character, hell bent on staying that way by destroying the only means that could revert him to his former self. Why? because the transformation alters Weller's mental stability and he's not the same man, his ideals have changed, his become psychotic.

Weller and Cumberbatch are the same height and build.

Cumberbatch is 6' (1.83 m)

Weller is 6' (1.83 m)

Its not a stretch to see Cumberbatch playing a younger version of Weller's character, at least not for me.

My prediction: The real villain is a well known Starship Captain.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!

Last edited by omegaman : 07-13-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Federation Councillor

I would also think that outside Cumberbatch and Eve, there's the possibility some of these actors could have limited screentime and could be cut out substantially as with Winona Ryder and much of the Klingon scenes from 2009. Noel Clarke has mentioned in an interview he 'hopes' he makes the final cut of the film, which could be taken as either deflection OR that he has a minor role overall not perhaps crucial to the main story.

And I loathe 'fountain of youth' stories as standard practice in any and all genres, including Trek. So THAT is something that would in a heartbeat deflate my interest. More than if it was Khan.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 07-13-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Besides the list we have the photos of Cumberpatch in Starfleet uniform, with human ears and forehead, making him a human, or human lookalike. So he's not a Horta, or Talosian. I suppose he could be a Q, but that race isn't established in J.J.'s alter-verse. So, if its one of those "named", it can't be Mudd, who dresses like a gigolo, or Trelane, who dresses like Liberace. It has to be Mitchell.

On the topic of villian, Peter Weller plays a villian in the movie according to this, http://badassdigest.com/2011/12/07/p...y-be-revealed/
He could be a Talosian projecting to the crew an illusion, that would still need to be filmed.

If the only still of Vina from 'The Cage' had been released as the one where she has the picnic with Pike, that illusion still had to be filmed even though the characters true appearance was very different.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Why? because the transformation alters Weller's mental stability and he's not the same man, his ideals have changed, his become psychotic.
Just another Soran/Shinzon/Nero then.
By the way, Weller is supposed to play a CEO of some kind...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 07-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Just another Soran/Shinzon/Nero then.
By the way, Weller is supposed to play a CEO of some kind...
Chief Engineering Officer or Company CEO. Pure Smoke and Mirrors stuff.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!