The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Breaking Bad, the best current show on TV IMO returns this week
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, I have enjoyed a few of them in fairness (I always liked 'Parallax' and 'Time & Again', 'Prime Factors', 'State of Flux', 'Cathexis' from that season anyway) again and it's been interesting to revisit it after many years.

But I'm finding that my general opinion of it is holding up under the rewatch.

If I could just package the episodes I wanted into an abbreviated home collection there would still be about twenty or thirty out the whole run I would choose to have and there are some down the line I'm looking forward to seeing again in later seasons. But my thoughts about the series as a whole seem to be unchanged so far!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

The biggest problem with that show is that they had this good premise, and they really didn't explore it. Same thing with Enterprise. They played it too safe.

That's why shows like Breaking Bad are so great, they don't play it safe.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, and actually in Season 1 there are flashes of an attempt to deal with the realistic fallout of their predicament. They just also tend to get swept aside very quickly where and when they do crop up.

I think that what's so symptomatic of the show. The quick sweep aside.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Exactly. The integration of the crew, the lack of support. All of Voyager should have been a bit more like Year in Hell.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

High school teacher selling meth to save his sick wife doesn't sound like an interesting setup. Things like this are bound to happen in a society without universal health care.
I also fail to see the moral dilemma as I am a hardcore liberal in the case of drugs. People wanna get hammered, their choice.

So yeah, selling meth to save your wife is actually the very opposite of turning bad. Aside from shooting all the right-wingers who basically kill your wife it is the only proper ethical thing to do. I am not a big fan of such pseudodilemmas.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

The wife isn't sick, the teacher is. He turns to crime to make sure his family is set after he's gone. And the show is so much more than what you describe. It's a character study. It's about the transformation of the main character.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Federation Councillor

I do know it's been widely praised since it began, but what you describe as the basic set up is about as much as I know. Though to be fair I haven't read much about it's story so as not to know what does happen if/when I do get around to it.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Commander

I saw the pilot of Breaking Bad and was very impressed, I think Bryan Cranston is great, a world away from Hal in Malcolm in the Middle. Have been meaning to watch the rest of the series for awhile, am guessing the wife and son become more endearing as I wasn't a fan of them in the pilot.

As for Voyager... I won't go off on a rant but I think they missed every target in terms of what they set out to do, in many ways I see it as a much inferior TNG, when you watch DS9 and Voyager at the same time it's quite painful, such a shame the story qualities differed so much as the potential was enormous. Enterprise did play it a bit safe, especially to begin with, but IMO they were let down by the franchise sagging under it's own weight after so many years of continuous influx, people got bored.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
As for Voyager... I won't go off on a rant but I think they missed every target in terms of what they set out to do
Oh go on.................I like how you started already!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I saw the pilot of Breaking Bad and was very impressed, I think Bryan Cranston is great, a world away from Hal in Malcolm in the Middle. Have been meaning to watch the rest of the series for awhile, am guessing the wife and son become more endearing as I wasn't a fan of them in the pilot.

As for Voyager... I won't go off on a rant but I think they missed every target in terms of what they set out to do, in many ways I see it as a much inferior TNG, when you watch DS9 and Voyager at the same time it's quite painful, such a shame the story qualities differed so much as the potential was enormous. Enterprise did play it a bit safe, especially to begin with, but IMO they were let down by the franchise sagging under it's own weight after so many years of continuous influx, people got bored.
He's incredibly good as the show moves along.