The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > Hi guys...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Is that email security and not wanting your name to be a part of something you don't agree with the reason you try to "Ban" yourself? As otherwise could you not just stop visiting the forum you don't wish to post on anymore?

Being apart of forum is much like an endorsement of those administrators and their policies. LCARS24 told me he was having problems with the TrekBBS and I was unsure if his claim was valid until I saw the favoritism at work. Same thing with gateworld who censored just about anything negative against Stargate as well as a heaping helping of member favoritism.

I consider banning myself a full withdrawing of my support.
I'm very serious about it because it's my name and I'm the only one with the name.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:56 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Being apart of forum is much like an endorsement of those administrators and their policies. LCARS24 told me he was having problems with the TrekBBS and I was unsure if his claim was valid until I saw the favoritism at work. Same thing with gateworld who censored just about anything negative against Stargate as well as a heaping helping of member favoritism.

I'm very serious about it because it's my name and I'm the only one with the name.
I never realised it could get so bad. Fair enough really, I think in such a situation I'd probably do much the same.

Quote:
We try to stay within a PG-13 range for the most part...language is self-moderated, and pretty much everyone uses discretion.
Not that I've posted a great deal but I've not had any problems at STL, you obviously take pride in it SB63.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

Member favoritism is perhaps THE most recurring problem on forums.
Forums usually keep a popular elite few at the top these are usually the same people that become moderators. They have relationships with them, learn to trust and side with them even if they step down from modding. To us it looks innocuous but some of these individuals are real life friends and not anonymous member tags.

Then there is the JADE factor. Gateworld and TrekBBS have processed so many trouble makers that but of the top administrators had a very dour attitude toward individual problems. I truly think it was wearing on them down and they had lost their enthusiasm in some ways.

But as hard as I imagine it is. Every case has to be treated with distinction. In stead of like an all powerful hand. The Red Shirt Moderators here were pretty good. She realized that we were here by choice and like of the franchise and their film. That's how it should be done. Sometimes you have to bring the book down true and I can't blame them for doing what needs to be done.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:

Joining a forum usually entails an agreement to follow the site's Terms of Use and any individual rules the site has set up. It does not include an allegiance to the admin team, just simply to abide by the rules.

As far as my admin/mod team, it's changed many times since the beginning. Yes, most are part of the team because I've come to trust them (like my two associate admins who are two of the people I've known the longest on the net and trust with having keys to my site) and mods are either a matter of trust or people who have earned the job, like sonofspock1 who recently stepped down, if it weren't for him I would have closed STL down a long time ago during the slow times. Zardoz became a mod when one of the others stepped down because he showed he had experience with the position, but he's been MIA for some time.

Trust in the people you add to staff isn't necessarily an example of elitism, in our case it's who I feel I can both trust and trust to do the job and serve the community.

And thanks for the props, Roysten, it's something I've tried hard to achieve...
Old 06-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Joining a forum usually entails an agreement to follow the site's Terms of Use and any individual rules the site has set up. It does not include an allegiance to the admin team, just simply to abide by the rules.

As far as my admin/mod team, it's changed many times since the beginning. Yes, most are part of the team because I've come to trust them (like my two associate admins who are two of the people I've known the longest on the net and trust with having keys to my site) and mods are either a matter of trust or people who have earned the job, like sonofspock1 who recently stepped down, if it weren't for him I would have closed STL down a long time ago during the slow times. Zardoz became a mod when one of the others stepped down because he showed he had experience with the position, but he's been MIA for some time.

Trust in the people you add to staff isn't necessarily an example of elitism, in our case it's who I feel I can both trust and trust to do the job and serve the community.

And thanks for the props, Roysten, it's something I've tried hard to achieve...
I certainly understand that perspective.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I tried the above link for Starbase63's Star Trek Logs but got a message "This page has been disabled."

Anyway, after several years of occasionally posting on forums I still feel like a newbie. One forum uses angle brackets instead of square brackets for formatting and has no guide or preview feature (only regular posters seem to know how to use it). On one forum I asked a tricky question about a new use of Euler angles I had come up with and wanted to try out, it took four days for my post to appear (since they require review by a moderator), and I had figured out the answer a few hours after posting (after which I discovered it was virtually impossible to contact them and tell them so). Some forums are very strict about profanity, X-rated images, comments in favor of illegal drug use, flaming, bigotry, etc. while others are virtual free-for-alls. I noticed one that is strictly moderated but has one unmoderated section clearly labeled as such, with an appropriate warning.

In the case of TrekBBS, I just should have been paying more attention. There were plenty of warnings about it here and elsewhere, and I just didn’t give them much thought. And I couldn’t help but notice a few people there that go around attacking other members all the time in a manner the moderators generally claim is not allowed yet they seem to ignore. So I really wasn’t keeping my eye on the ball but instead ignoring all the warning signs.

Anyway, one day on TrekBBS one of that forum’s most notorious trolls directly called me a liar for pointing out that a triangle with three right angles can be drawn on the surface of a sphere (equator to one pole, back to equator at a 90-degree angle, then back to start, forming an equilateral right triangle), even though it’s true and I’m certainly not the first person to know that. Another made a direct personal attack accompanied by an image of a gun pointed at the viewer. I clicked on the Moderator Call button and waited a day. Nothing happened. Then I posted “I’ll just skip answering any trolling posts” and posted some links to science papers relevant to the topic of the thread. Although one moderator had posted previously in the thread in a very positive way (exhibiting definite interest in and understanding of a difficult concept) about one of my ideas, a different moderator suddenly appeared and jumped down my throat about the mere mention of trolls—even thought I hadn’t quoted or mentioned anyone in particular!

I contacted that moderator by PM, still not mentioning anyone by name but simply asking why he was coming down on me in the thread (my first time ever to be slapped down by a moderator). He made no mention of troll No. 1 but said the post with the gun pointed was “hostile and obnoxious but not against the rules.” He also claimed that he had discussed the matter in a staff-only thread with other moderators and staff before posting. I didn’t want to argue. Mods have the power to do whatever they like. And I didn’t want to make a public stink about it, either. I just responded by PM that I had deleted by location, signature, and avatar and wouldn’t be posting on TrekBBS anymore. He didn’t answer.

But I have to take his word for it that official TrekBBS policy (although not stated anywhere but in a PM to me) is that including an image of a gun pointed at the viewer with a direct personal attack is indeed allowed, even though moderators have made hundreds of posts over the years stating that personal attacks would not be tolerated (let alone those with guns pointed; maybe troll No. 2 was the first to think of that and will win some best-troll award, although I was told that another forum recently added a rule specifically mentioning any image that includes a “weapon pointed at the viewer”).

Since TrekBBS is the largest Star Trek forum, the staff must know something about drumming up activity. There are plenty of people who like to fight and even more who like to watch. But trolls attacking trolls probably isn’t the best formula. Muggers don’t want to mug muggers. They want to mug old women. Anyway, I won’t pretend to know how to maintain a high-traffic forum on a subject for which most other forums fail. But the management of TrekBBS does seem to have a secret formula that works. They know all the tricks, and they know that very few long-term members (7 years in my case) will quit over an incident like what I mentioned above.

By the way, I didn’t get a warning or other formal admonition, just a comment that only moderators are allowed to use the T-word. I couldn’t find that mentioned in the rules. So how come not being mentioned in the rules lets gun-pointing off the hook but not use of the T-word? I guess one has to read between the lines and ignore most of what is visible on the screen. I’m too busy (or lazy or dumb or disinterested) for that. It’s like Calvinball, in which on every play each player is allowed to change the rules as he/she pleases, except that rule-changing is a one-way street on the largest Star Trek forum, and maybe that’s the key to how they hold the No. 1 spot--not that I'm recommending such tactics for other forum operators.

http://www.bartel.org/calvinball/
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 AM
Captain

Cool

You have to register to see STL, LCARS...thanks to the actions of certain individuals, our boards have to maintain a level of security most don't require.

When you click the box in my sig, just follow the directions.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I registered. It still shows me nothing. I came back later, still nothing. Can't log in, can't acess anything. Maybe it's because I'm outside the U.S. And I think most people wouldn't register without seeing what's there, anyway. Also, I was confirmed to be logged in earlier, but it still wouldn't show my anything.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
I tried the above link for Starbase63's Star Trek Logs but got a message "This page has been disabled."

He made no mention of troll No. 1 but said the post with the gun pointed was “hostile and obnoxious but not against the rules.” He also claimed that he had discussed the matter in a staff-only thread with other moderators and staff before posting. I didn’t want to argue. Mods have the power to do whatever they like. And I didn’t want to make a public stink about it, either. I just responded by PM that I had deleted by location, signature, and avatar and wouldn’t be posting on TrekBBS anymore. He didn’t answer.

That's very similar to my experience. A fairly belligerent member decided to make me a regular target. Whenever or however I responded to these comments was deemed wrong by this particular moderator.

It was like some kind of "contest" to see who would flame first.
The Troll got really bent out of shape because I stuck to syllogisms and dismantled his fallacies with surgical precision along with dismissing verbally anything was an attack and the moderator said he didn't like that I was debating not "discussing".

Really?
The guy is purposely walking a line of flaming and you're concerned with my use of classical debate strategies?

Of course me and the moderator had discussions that were completely fruitless. They banned me for a day as a display of power. The next day I told them to ban me permanently. Which was A WHOLE OTHER battle for the next week.

------------
I'm not offended easily but I do rise to a challenge.
It absolutely offends me for a moderator to believe I will give up my sense of RIGHT and WRONG, just to socialize with others about some franchise...

Signed,
Once Burned Twice Shy.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
I registered. It still shows me nothing. I came back later, still nothing. Can't log in, can't acess anything. Maybe it's because I'm outside the U.S. And I think most people wouldn't register without seeing what's there, anyway. Also, I was confirmed to be logged in earlier, but it still wouldn't show my anything.
DOH!!!

My apologies...in our effort to keep out a possible incursion by the lunatic that's been spamming the hell out of startrek.com, I have the site set on admin approval of registrations.

By the time you read this, you'll be approved. Sorry about that, and welcome to STL...