The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > If JJ's sequel is about "KHAN", will it…
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will JJ's KHAN be as good as the original or better?
I think it will be as good as the original 8 80.00%
I think it will be better than the original 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Those changes do not make the scene credible. They make it worse. Much worse. That speech is terrible. It's absolutely the sort of thing that has me rolling my eyes in anything but appreciation. I don't feel particularly roused by dialogue like that most of the time, I'm afraid.

George's acceptance of his fate and his sacrifice for the rest of the crew is much more subtly and effectively done by having us simply see the events unfold. Using the techniques of cinema and simply having the visuals played alongside an effective score and Chris Hemsworth's performance everything that emotionally needs conveyed and communicated about George's decision is done so minus any silly or clunky speeches.

Sometimes, movie scenes just don't need words.
This is good. An opportunity for you to teach me something.
Did you find the bellow scenes terrible and worse for par?

----
Attention All Hands.
As you know we could out run the Klingon vessels, but we must protect the Enterprise C until she enters the temporal rift. And we must succeed. Let's make sure history never forgets the name ...Enterprise.

----
Your whisper from the dark has now become a plea. We cannot turn our backs...

----
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!
----
You all know the mission and what is at stake. I have learned to trust each of you with my life.
-- but I have also heard murmurs of discontent. I share your concerns. We are trained for espionage; we would be legends, but the records are sealed. Glory in battle is not our way.Think of our heroes; the Silent Step, who defeated a nation with a single shot. Or the Ever Alert, who kept armies at bay with hidden facts.These giants do not seem to give us solace here, but they are not all that we are. Before the network, there was the fleet. Before diplomacy, here were soldiers! Our influence stopped the rachni, but before that we held the line! Our influence stopped the krogan, but before that, we held the line! Our influence will stop Saren; in the battle today,
we will hold the line!”
----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATJaT8P6mSE

----
All of our lives, we have fought this war. Tonight I believe we can end it. Tonight is not an accident. There are no accidents. We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. When I see three objectives, three captains, three ships. I do not see coincidence, I see providence. I see purpose. I believe it our fate to be here. It is our destiny. I believe this night holds for each and every one of us, the very meaning of our lives.

----
What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
----

Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it.

Why so many words...in these great moments? ...If they are not needed.
Why are these moments considered great and why don't they take away from their respective moments.

Last edited by Saquist : 06-16-2012 at 03:40 PM.