The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Kim Stanley Robinson Sees Humans Colonizing the Solar System in 2312
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Default Kim Stanley Robinson Sees Humans Colonizing the Solar System in 2312

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/...tories+2%29%29

About his new book… alas no mention of the Federation…

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Commander

An episode of Naked Science on Spacemen really set me straight on alot of things that science fiction had warped by imagination into believing were possible. Intercelestial space travel is the stuff of science fiction/fantasy for the time being. We would have to make so many technological leaps before that could happen. I honestly, don't think we will ever make it out of our backyard (solar system). So, I think he's right on that.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

There is nothing improbable or impossible about interstellar space travel.
Humanities limitation has been it's self. We've been preoccupied with war, greed and politics.

These feats don't just happen gradually progressively as though natural, they have to be by design and great motivation.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
An episode of Naked Science on Spacemen really set me straight on alot of things that science fiction had warped by imagination into believing were possible. Intercelestial space travel is the stuff of science fiction/fantasy for the time being. We would have to make so many technological leaps before that could happen. I honestly, don't think we will ever make it out of our backyard (solar system). So, I think he's right on that.
I think he's absolutely right that notwithstanding some sort of quantum leap in our technology that it will be well beyond our lifetimes before any such things exist.

Fantasy is what most of it is at current levels.

But even if we were limited to our own Solar System that still leaves plenty of room for stories to be told in a sci-fi setting.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Sounds like an interesting author. A new name on my reading list, thanks for the tip Omega.
You're welcome. I've read a few of his books over the years.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think he's absolutely right that notwithstanding some sort of quantum leap in our technology that it will be well beyond our lifetimes before any such things exist.

Fantasy is what most of it is at current levels.

But even if we were limited to our own Solar System that still leaves plenty of room for stories to be told in a sci-fi setting.
Tend to agree. There's plenty to do in our own "backyard" before we get our feet wet in interstellar space.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

Actually there is much more to do on Earth than out in space.
It's two sides of a coin. Luxury and Necessity.

Luxury because the space program absorbs a considerable amount of money away from human beneficial projects such as education, infrastructure and other assorted avenues. On the other hand of that coin, this government spends many times NASA buget in Defense projess that is mostly unnecessary at the current time. The F-16, F-18, F-14 and others were not past there operational lives and are still extremely formidable units as is the Aegis class Destroyer the Enterprise Class Carrier and Los Angelos Class SSN. They all represent a mostly offensive force not a defensive force which is this country's missle shield and GTAM defenses.

Necessary because Earth is far too vulnerable as humanities only home. It's home humanity is actively destroying and it's unclear even now what the long terms effects of our hard-headed demolition of the planet's renewable
resources. I suppose if we can't figure it out here then we don't need to be out there.

Edit:

Hawking said, humanity should try to expand to Earth-like planets around other stars. If only 1% of the 1000 or so stars within 30 light years of Earth has an Earth-size planet at the right distance from its star for liquid water to exist, that would make for 10 such planets in our solar system's neighbourhood, he said.

"We cannot envision visiting them with current technology, but we should make interstellar travel a long-term aim," he said. "By long term, I mean over the next 200 to 500 years." Humanity can afford to battle earthly problems like climate change and still have plenty of resources left over for colonizing space, he said.
"Even if we were to increase the international [space exploration] budget 20 times to make a serious effort to go into space, it would only be a small fraction of world GDP," he said. GDP, or Gross Domestic Product, is a measure of a country's economic activity.

"is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers ... I think the human race has no future if it doesn't go into space."

Hawking argued that the world can afford 0.25% of its collective GDP to devote to space colonization. "Isn't our future worth a quarter of a percent?" he asked. The physicist also speculated on the reasons that SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) projects have not yet detected any alien civilizations, offering three possibilities: that life of any kind is very rare in the universe; that simple life forms are common, but intelligent life rare; or that intelligent life tends to quickly destroy itself.
"Personally, I favour the second possibility – that primitive life is relatively common, but that intelligent life is very rare," he said. "Some would say it has yet to occur on Earth."

Last edited by Saquist : 06-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Commander

Playing Devil's advocate, humanity has survived pole reversals, ice ages, earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, all manner of man-made, and natural disasters. I believe humans would survive a nuclear war.

Inspite of Hawking's genius, going into space because human life is in danger on the Earth is such a weak argument. Human life is 1000X more in danger in space or on another planet. Even if humans colonized another world, humans there would not be self-sufficient, they would still depend on the resources from Earth. So if humans on Earth were completely wiped out, the extra-terrestrial humans would be *****ed as well.

Nevertheless, I think Hawking makes a good point about the money, more should go into space exploration and research.

Last edited by chator : 06-18-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Dag nabbit!

<----puts away his FTL capable star hopper.

Alright, I'll stay around.