The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > A couple shots from an upcoming project...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Federation Councillor

All good stuff anyway!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, Kevin.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

UPDATE:
The project continues apace. More dialogue scenes and transitions have been shot. The flow is going smoothly so far. Animation is not "Clone Wars" quality, but it suffices to tell the story.

Story running time so far, estimated to be ten minutes...I haven't done a full composite run of the accumulated footage yet.
Will be using an app on my iPad...Music Studio...to create some original incidental music where I might not use John Williams' or Stu Phillips' original pieces....so there'll be a bit of both.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

Ok....massively awesome PROGRESS REPORT. (Did I mention it is massively awesome?....Just wait til I tell y'all how.)

I downloaded the 64 bit beta version of iClone 5.2 PRO. (I still have the 32 bit version as well.) With the 64 bit version, I am able to put EPIC numbers of ships on screen, at once, and record them! (I did this based on reports that other users were able to load upwards of 50+ characters --a high poly situation indeed-- on screen without even breaking a sweat.)

So, I put my Galactica, my Star Destroyer, Steve Wilson's Valley Forge/Agro Ship, Tiger Claw's Colonial Movers and Gemini Freighter, and likely around 200 other ships (about 10 ships I'd built in either iClone or Blender, and copied them through the placement grid). I added a very nice starfield sky texture, which surrounds and forms space for the fleet to fly through.

I then flew the camera through the fleet. At the rate I have it go, the shot is about 2 minutes long, but the nice thing was, I was able to do it ALL in one pass....no greenscreening, no compositing. (The only thing I'll composite in later is the two Vipers racing to the back of the fleet.) Or I might even be tempted to reattempt the pass with the Vipers actually on screen, and maneuver them appropriately. (Either way, the shot's gonna look nice.)

Now, here's where I almost had a heart-attack.
Right now, in the 64 bit beta, the only exportable video format is .AVI. So, I thought, ok, I'll give it a shot. Settings: 1280x720 (720p). Uncompressed frames. When the video fully exported (which I think took a little better than a half-hour), I played it back. The playback was choppy. This disheartened me a bit. I looked at the file size (6.7 gigs). "Holy FRAK!", exclaimed I.

Well, I thought, ok...lemme reboot my computer and see if I can convert this down to .mp4 format. Settings: 1920x1080 (1080p) in the .mp4 format. It converted in about 10 minutes. It came out at only 22.3 megs. And it played back BEAUTIFULLY!!!!!!

So, now that I know I can do epic things with this 64 bit beta...I am going to go full bore into this.

Right now, the beta does have some hiccups...one involving particles where projects that others have saved after loading particle effects, end up unable to load. So, until they fix that, I won't mess with particle effects.

BTW, just to let you know....the face count of my fleet fly-through shot was well (way well) over 8 million!!! File size 443megs.

I think iClone is well on its way to letting me do the epic things I've sought to do for so long. Now that I'm decent with Blender, and I have the latest versions of both iClone and 3DXChange....my project will move forward rather quickly.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Sounds great. Can't wait to see those flybys in hi-res.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Even though I swore I would not post any teasers or footage from my upcoming project, I caved...thanks to insatiable curiosity from some folks...like our very own Omegaman. So, here's the shot of my Vipers zooming through the Rag Tag Fleet to intercept a rather fearsome intruder. The visual glitch at the beginning will be edited out when I insert it into the final product.

And yes, it is in 1080p.

Over 8,800,000 faces in this singular shot.

http://youtu.be/DWAOGhI_Dek

Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Even though I swore I would not post any teasers or footage from my upcoming project, I caved...thanks to insatiable curiosity from some folks...like our very own Omegaman. So, here's the shot of my Vipers zooming through the Rag Tag Fleet to intercept a rather fearsome intruder. The visual glitch at the beginning will be edited out when I insert it into the final product.

And yes, it is in 1080p.

Over 8,800,000 faces in this singular shot.

http://youtu.be/DWAOGhI_Dek
That's pretty cool. Here's a thought how about placing the camera inside the cockipit of the second viper trailing the first in the upper right quadrant of the flyby. So that we see what the viper pilot would see from his cockpit, Maybe pan the camera left to right and occasionally tilt the viper as it glides past one of the big vessels.

Visually the camera would see parts of the cockpit and nose of the viper.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
That's pretty cool. Here's a thought how about placing the camera inside the cockipit of the second viper trailing the first in the upper right quadrant of the flyby. So that we see what the viper pilot would see from his cockpit, Maybe pan the camera left to right and occasionally tilt the viper as it glides past one of the big vessels.

Visually the camera would see parts of the cockpit and nose of the viper.
Indeed I can do that, and the thought had crossed my mind. I still have the project saved, so I can certainly do it.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Great! Look forward to seeing it.