The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Has Our Galaxy’s Dark Matter Gone Missing?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Default Has Our Galaxy’s Dark Matter Gone Missing?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...tories+2%29%29

Quote "If a new study is true, then the search for dark matter just got a lot weirder. Our little corner of the Milky Way contains no observable concentration of the mysterious stuff whose gravity binds the galaxy, claims one team of astronomers. That finding would present a major problem for models of how galaxies form and may undermine the whole notion of dark matter, the researchers claim. But some scientists doubt the reliability of the team’s method for measuring the elusive substance."

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

"The data don’t disprove the existence of dark matter, Moni Bidin is quick to say. Astrophysicists still need the stuff to explain the speed of the stars in the galaxy."
Indeed, they need it to address the anomalies of the standard matter but this doesn't mean it is there. Dark matter, dark energy and dark flow is precisely called dark because nobody has seen it.
I am just a layman but the quantum gravity stuff of string theorists sound more convincing to me than all this dark whatever stuff of people desperate to safe the standard model.

There are two kinds of scientific progress: the methodical experimentation and categorization which gradually extend the boundaries of knowledge, and the revolutionary leap of genius which redefines and transcends those boundaries. Acknowledging our debt to the former, we yearn nonetheless for the latter. - Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...tories+2%29%29

Quote "If a new study is true, then the search for dark matter just got a lot weirder. Our little corner of the Milky Way contains no observable concentration of the mysterious stuff whose gravity binds the galaxy, claims one team of astronomers. That finding would present a major problem for models of how galaxies form and may undermine the whole notion of dark matter, the researchers claim. But some scientists doubt the reliability of the team’s method for measuring the elusive substance."

I'm not surprised by this article..ever since I read about dark matter as a way to explain what we don't know I've had a hard time believing in it. Of understanding of gravity is incomplete on the quantum level and thus it's link in the macro. I wouldn't be surprised if there was no such thing or if they found it one day but....

Part of me says assuming dark matter candidates such as brown dwarfs, neutrinos, photons and other particles or even exotic mater of some sort is extremely suspect. It sounds like science fiction....like Mass Effect's Element Zero, Di lithium crystals or hypermatter. You'd assume we'd have found it by now in this abundance...