The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > 'Star Trek' in the White House: Obama and Uhura go Vulcan
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Federation Councillor

ALL politicians photo ops are to some degree orchestrated and carefully selected. Irrespective of party line.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
You really think such a picture is sincere and not carefully orchestrated?

About judging our political leaders based on pictures, I wonder what my ancestors said when they saw this picture. Probably something along the lines of "he loves dogs, he is a such a nice guy."

One of the things that frightens me is the death of the print based culture and the rise of an image based culture. Totalitarian societies are always spectacle and image based. - Chris Hedges
It seems to me that you are trying to compare Obama to Hitler. This does offend me. You realize that it is the Republicans in office that are against abortion, the post office, gay marriage and so on. To put Obama in the same category as Hitler is just wrong. Heck, any one can be in these pictures and you still may not know a lot about them. So, I find it unfair to indirectly compare him to Hitler. I am voting for Obama this coming election.

If you really see Obama as the anti-Christ for killing Osama bin Laden (something the Bush Administration has failed to do) End the Iraq War (something the Bush administration has failed to do), then I would like to know why.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
So politicians should not shake hands, hold kids and pet dogs when cameras are present?
I know, right?

Fans Expendable
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Obama did not give the order to kill bin Laden. It just happened on his watch, so Obama lucked out when we got Osama.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Federation Councillor

And that was as a result of a lot of people far removed from either President doing the ground work and analysis and operating outwith the usual partisan horsecrap that took a very long time to come together. So, yeah, Obama got lucky but it's not like Bush could take direct credit either.

Those folks who do the actual work seem to be the ones who get forgotten after the event.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

He did give the order, and it was a gutsy call because his intelligence people were calling it a 50/50 shot that Bin Laden was actually there. That call took some balls. I'm certainly not the biggest Obama fan, I'm probably going to vote Republican in the upcoming election. But I give credit where it's due, and on that it's due.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
And that was as a result of a lot of people far removed from either President doing the ground work and analysis and operating outwith the usual partisan horsecrap that took a very long time to come together. So, yeah, Obama got lucky but it's not like Bush could take direct credit either.

Those folks who do the actual work seem to be the ones who get forgotten after the event.
"I don't know where he is, in fact I just don't spend all that much time on it."
-George W. Bush

Fans Expendable
Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
It seems to me that you are trying to compare Obama to Hitler. This does offend me. You realize that it is the Republicans in office that are against abortion, the post office, gay marriage and so on. To put Obama in the same category as Hitler is just wrong. Heck, any one can be in these pictures and you still may not know a lot about them. So, I find it unfair to indirectly compare him to Hitler. I am voting for Obama this coming election.

If you really see Obama as the anti-Christ for killing Osama bin Laden (something the Bush Administration has failed to do) End the Iraq War (something the Bush administration has failed to do), then I would like to know why.
Why did I know that such a response would come? Read the text, I am not comparing anybody with Hitler. By the way, I am a European social democrat and thus not in any way a fan of the Republicans.
All I said is that judging people based on superficial stuff is dangerous and often a path to totalitarianism. In this instance Obama's image clouds the mind of intelligent people like yourself, making them e.g. unaware that the guy could just kill you, without the involvement of any court.

Quote:

True, but the job of a boss has always been to take all the credit or all the flack.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

Agreed.
Here's to our fighting men and women who do the real work.