The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > TNG/Doctor Who ‘Assimilation2‘ Crossover Comic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Okay guys, I've brought the firewood and the pitchforks, but I suppose I'll have to be an angry mob all by myself. :P Not liking Doctor Who? Dear oh dear.

Fringe though: Very good. I missed the first two seasons, and started watching with the beginning of the third season when it came out... Or did I start watching part of the way into the second?... I forget. From what I hear of the first season, I didn't miss anything vital to my understanding of the show. I love the show. Very entertaining. It takes itself seriously enough that you can be engaged by it, but not so much that it becomes overbearingly so. Basically, it is Doctor Who that takes itself more seriously, is American, and has more violence. The main thing about Fringe though is that it is very stylish, it does things very slickly and does them properly. Episode set in the past? Change the title sequence to make it look as if it were set in the past! It is little things like that that I love about the show.

With Doctor Who, I have seen a few people saying that they just can't watch it, but (and I am not saying that this applies to everyone, but it has been my observation of people that I know in person) that these people have approached slightly cynically, with pubescent and adult style embarrassment things. And there are the others who say it is too complicated (which is only since Steven Moffat took over) - but none of the people who claim not to understand it have been under the age of about fifteen. Whereas I claim to be eight years old in my own head (almost halfway between twice and three times eight years old now, in terms of my physical age) and approach non-cynical television with an attitude void of cynicism insofar as I can manage.

Of course, I have covered only two of the reasons that people do not enjoy Doctor Who. Your reasons may vary. (With the older ones, it is almost as much fun to watch for the shaky sets as it is the story. The effects you can fill in with your imagination.)

Also: "Walter is a hoot" - QFT.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

I've never watched Dr Who, so I neither like nor dislike it.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Federation Councillor

I don't really think I can say why I never got into it (which, of course is also not the same as disliking) but every time I try I just can't get enthusiastic about it.

Obviously I missed a lot of it in the 80s as I was younger and then it was off the air from about '89 to '05 (minus the USA/UK '95 TV movie that popped out of nowhere and vanished soon afterwards again). I tried with the 'new' Dr Who from 2005 onwards but it never clicked for me.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Okay guys, I've brought the firewood and the pitchforks, but I suppose I'll have to be an angry mob all by myself. :P Not liking Doctor Who? Dear oh dear.
I plead guilty.

Quote:
Fringe though: Very good. I missed the first two seasons, and started watching with the beginning of the third season when it came out... Or did I start watching part of the way into the second?... I forget. From what I hear of the first season, I didn't miss anything vital to my understanding of the show. I love the show. Very entertaining. It takes itself seriously enough that you can be engaged by it, but not so much that it becomes overbearingly so. Basically, it is Doctor Who that takes itself more seriously, is American, and has more violence. The main thing about Fringe though is that it is very stylish, it does things very slickly and does them properly. Episode set in the past? Change the title sequence to make it look as if it were set in the past! It is little things like that that I love about the show.
I almost like the altered 80s version of the theme when they do the eps set in the past more than the real theme.

But I agree that the makers of the show really do put an effort into making the show serious, but staying fun and that they enjoy coming up with these touches. It's that kind of little extra effort that goes a long way goodwill wise on the show.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 02-17-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Well... *Dons Self-Important Cap of Superiority* The Borg are merely a shade of the Cybermen.

*Takes off cap*

Really they are quite different in their approach, despite similar goals and the-Borg-stole-our-catchphrase-thing. (This is just a fun aside, however, as I don't bother about it, I just like making Star Trek feel inferior. )

I do like the way Doctor Who fits appropriate Star Trek mentions into the show.

I cannot wait for this comic. And I don't even read comics!!!!!!!

Almost my favourite Doctor*; on my favourite bridge; with my favourite captain. Ahhh, I wish they were making it on TV... Doctor Who could do it despite the difficulties of having already established Star Trek as fiction(wibbly-wobbly and all that). I'm not sure that a Star Trek show would be flexible enough.

I'd settle for a current-iteration Star Trek/Doctor Who movie just as easily.

*I don't really have a favourite Doctor as such, but if pressed I cite Doctors 2,7 and 11 as my favourites.
While I am usually not much of a visual guy or somebody who dislikes old movies or TV I cannot stand the old Who stuff. But since 2005 it is quite watchable and when you have a weakness for eccentric characters it is easy to fall for it. Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who, how come they are all Brits? Must be the lovely weather.

I think Smith manages very well to appear young and old whereas Eccleston's frequent dark moments contrasted nicely with the Doctor's usual playfulness.